GRRM officially confirms Joffrey assassin?

Turncloak_

From GRRM's below Rolling Stone interview.

In the books – and I make no promises, because I have two more books to write, and I may have more surprises to reveal – the conclusion that the careful reader draws is that Joffrey was killed by the Queen of Thorns, using poison from Sansa's hairnet, so that if anyone did think it was poison, then Sansa would be blamed for it. Sansa had certainly good reason for it.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423#ixzz2zo88Eluu

Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Yes so far it looks like Olenna tried to pin the murder on Sansa. Does that make you dislike her character in any way?

She also allowed her to get away with LF and the marriage with Tyrion. I think it's more of a favor to Sansa, to get rid of her father's killer and husband in one move.

She also allowed her to get away with LF and the marriage with Tyrion. I think it's more of a favor to Sansa, to get rid of her father's killer and husband in one move.

What suggests she allowed that or even knew of it?

And far from confirmation GRRM goes out of his way to leave the door open.

He was answering from the perspective of the audience because of what was seen on the show. Just as he often answers SSM's from the perspective of a character.

He's sneaky, I don't take this as 100% of the truth.

What makes you think that when he asked the interviewer if they had read the books and then specifically says the reader may draw this conclusion?

In eliminating Sansa, Olenna actually stopped a dramatic growth of Lannister power. I think Tyrion, given more time, would have eventually manned up and knocked up Sansa anyway, and Tywin's plan was to eventually eliminate the Bolton hold on the North (which he wouldn't have had any trouble doing). He would probably have used Sansa's stronger claim to Winterfell, being the elder sister of "Arya", to establish Lannister power in the North. Now the Lannister dynasty (Casterly Rock through Tywin and Winterfell through Tyrion) would control two of the seven kingdoms and the power dynamic of the Lannister-Tyrell relationship would have changed. Whereas before the Tyrells were supplying most of the men and food to the devastated King's Landing, having the Lannister's depend on them, the Lannister's growth of power to encompass more than half of Westeros would make the Tyrell's seem more dependent. This shift in the dynamic could possibly have put the Tyrells in more danger.

If Olenna did kill Joffrey, her intent to blame it on Sansa would have been shrewd. Of course, I guess an arguably better thing happened for the Tyrells when Joffrey pointed his finger at Tyrion. The execution of Tyrion would have meant the elimination of the lawful heir of Casterly Rock and a shrewd player. Of course, I guess Tywin would just marry Sansa off to Lancel or someone so perhaps it wasn't the best outcome Olenna was hoping for.

As I read it, it's a confirmation. Not that that I had much doubts, but it's a confirmation.

But I loved that he also confirms that Olena intended to put the blame on Sansa! It's been a long held theory for many too, but it was a longer shot. Anyone could bring the poison anywhere, so the hairnet has no point at all if it isn't to put the blame on Sansa (and Tyrion, by proxy). Littlefinger just betrayed Olenna because he didn't want to lose Sansa. So he made sure that Joffrey and Tyrion collided and sneaked Sansa away.

That's not a confirmation. He says from the perspective of the reader, and also hints at a twist in the future.

It's confirmation when Grrm says it from his own perspective... as usual he is ambiguous and careful with the wording of his answers. What's clear from the text is Olenna was involved. Whether she administered the poison is certainly not wrapped up.

That's not a confirmation. He says from the perspective of the reader, and also hints at a twist in the future.

It's confirmation when Grrm says it from his own perspective... as usual he is ambiguous and careful with the wording of his answers. What's clear from the text is Olenna was involved. Whether she administered the poison is certainly not wrapped up.

Agreed, I don't know why anyone is taking that quote as a confirmation when GRRM goes out of his way to point out it is not.

From the books I gathered it was Olenna and Tyrion, since Tyrion admits to doing it. But I guess maybe he was just trying to make a point when he says that to Jaime for dramatic purposes. Backed up from the Purple wedding on the show. It seems blatantly obvious that it was Olenna and LF's plans completely.

I never got the sense that Tyrion was involved... he started taking credit for it eventually because everyone believed he had anyway. But you could tell from his POV chapters right before and after the wedding that he had no knowledge of what was going to transpire.

I didnt really doubt it was the Tyrells beforehand, of the people there Tyrion, Sansa, and Cersei would have definitely mentioned it in there PoVs if they had done it, and Tywin and Oberyn are dead so I feel its unlikely we would be informed of there involvement now. That leaves the Tyrells.

And he was making this comment before going on to make another point of the QoT's morality, did she kill Hitler? Or a 13 year old boy? So that point could apply to anyone who murdered him, he's just saying that it was her because she is who most people think did it, he wouldnt name who actually did it in an interview if it were someone else

Olenna wanted to save Margaery from Joffery's cruelty. Jamie said Joffery, Margaery and Loras was a recipe for King Slayer Stew.

By killing Joffery, she freed Maegaery from Joffery and married her to Tommen. It was no secret that Tommen was gentle and kind. Margaery could easily manipulate him unlike Joffery.

She could have also been trying to marry Sansa to Willas still. If Tyrion was convicted and put to death, Sansa would be free to marry whoever she wanted.

Sansa is described as a beautiful innocent looking girl. If it came to a trial, she would probably be able to prove her innocence. Olenna's son was one of the judges and so was her father-in-law.

Tywin would want to marry her to Lancel or another Lannister so he would want her to be declared innocent too.

Without a trial, Sansa would be tainted. She would have rumors of her involvement follow her for the rest of her life. If she was declared innocent through a trial, people would be less likely to believe her to be involved.

The hairnet was Oleanna's assurance Sansa would cooperate. If Sansa refused to marry Willas, she would present the hairnet as evidence. The hairnet was a way for her to blackmail Sansa if needed.

Oleanna totally did it. No one else came close enough to her to steal an amethyst from her hairnet

Littlefinger probably pretended to play along but had a different plan in mind. He did not want to risk injuring Cat 2.0 so he busted her out instead.

Definitely not a confirmation. This is a typical GRRM carefully worded answer in which he alludes to the possibility that there may be more to it than the reader yet knows. The entire relevant passage:

GRRM: You've read the books?

RS: Yes.
GRRM: Who kills Joffrey?

RS: That killing happens early in this fourth season. The books, of course, are well past the poisoning of King Joffrey.

GRRM: In the books – and I make no promises, because I have two more books to write, and I may have more surprises to reveal the conclusion that the careful reader draws is that Joffrey was killed by the Queen of Thorns, using poison from Sansa's hairnet, so that if anyone did think it was poison, then Sansa would be blamed for it. Sansa had certainly good reason for it.

The reason I bring this up is because that's an interesting question of redemption. That's more like killing Hitler. Does the Queen of Thorns need redemption? Did the Queen of Thorns kill Hitler, or did she murder a 13-year-old boy? Or both? She had good reasons to remove Joffrey. Is it a case where the end justifies the means? I don't know. That's what I want the reader or viewer to wrestle with, and to debate.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423#ixzz2zppXJA5L

I bolded the particularly interesting parts of GRRM's statement. "I make no promise" "I may have more surprises to reveal" and "the conclusion the careful reader draws" These carefully worded phrases, far from confirming anything, give one the impression that this mystery is far from solved.

In fact, my opinion is that this as good as confirms that there is more to the story than meets the eye, even to the careful reader.

Yes we as careful readers can conclude that Lady Olenna was involved, and on some level Littlefinger as well. But neither one has been seen with a smoking gun yet and I think GRRM just might be rather carefully alluding to that fact here.

Hm... So the suggestion is that Baelish might have been lying to Sansa when he tells her that it was Olenna and himself? (This in his explanation to Sansa after he has retrieved her from King's Landing.) I think that GRRM was just being cagey with this interviewer.

Archived