New Series High

Westeros

Season 1 actually did a pretty good job developing her in the time they had. Since then Dany has mostly been reduced to kicking ass

Apparently you missed almost all of S2 Dany. Then again, it was pretty missable.

Apparently you missed almost all of S2 Dany. Then again, it was pretty missable.

Nah, I didn't miss any of S2 Dany. I just despised their take on Qarth and everything they did with her there. They started out ok with her in the Red Wastes and then she got to Qarth and they actually had her regress into a whiny, entitled, needy leader. I know some like to act like that's book Dany but that's a massive oversimplification, and it certainly missed the larger points of her ACOK material. Somehow they even managed to screw up the House of the Undying.

So, while I'll concede that they did develop Dany some in season 2, I'd argue that it did more to damage the character than it did to flesh her out or advance her story. It was a lot of invented filler that didn't really add up to much. It did let her be a badass by the end, though. 'Cause show Dany has to be that above everything else.

Nah, I didn't miss any of S2 Dany. I just despised their take on Qarth and everything they did with her there. They started out ok with her in the Red Wastes and then she got to Qarth and they actually had her regress into a whiny, entitled, needy leader. I know some like to act like that's book Dany but that's a massive oversimplification, and it certainly missed the larger points of her ACOK material. Somehow they even managed to screw up the House of the Undying.

So, while I'll concede that they did develop Dany some in season 2, I'd argue that it did more to damage the character than it did to flesh her out or advance her story. It was a lot of invented filler that didn't really add up to much. It did let her be a badass by the end, though. 'Cause show Dany has to be that above everything else.

"WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS!?" will go down as one of the worst lines in any tv show ever.

"WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS!?" will go down as one of the worst lines in any tv show ever.

I don't know. "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalt!" and "You took my boy!" (from Lost) are still worse. But I agree that "Where are my dragons?" is definitely up there. I love Emilia Clarke as Dany but I felt bad for her for having to spout such terrible dialogue in season 2. And that's really only one example. A lot of her material was cringe-worthy in season 2. Somehow they didn't even manage to name her dragons onscreen (unless I missed it) but they named other important dragons in history. Really?!

I want to see the stories finally converge and come together. Whatever her motivations, it's always the idea that she will finally take her dragons and go kick some ass in Westeros that keeps me interested in her story. The longer it is drawn out, the harder it is for me to care what happens. I know that there is supposed to be 'character development', but it doesn't really feel like Dany's character is growing, but is instead regressing.

It just became a chore to read her chapters instead of fun.

Actually, I was invested then lost interest.

Victarian Greyjoy and Quentyn Martell are two characters I never had any interest in at all, for comparison. Jon Snow and Sansa are characters that I didn't care much about in the beginning and then grew to like a lot.

I would say that my biggest problem with ASoIaF is that not all of the characters are even, and stretching the narrative out just leaves weak points that threaten to collapse the entire story. The first book and the third book I couldn't read fast enough...the second book was okay, but I still liked it. The last two books just felt like some of the story had ground to a halt and it was a struggle to get through parts of it. The same thing happened with me in LotR and Les Misérables...some parts of the story are just not as good or compelling as other parts and it becomes an uneven read.

Does the show do this, as well? Yup, but not to the same degree simply because it doesn't have the luxury to do such a thing. This isn't to disparage Dany, it's just how I felt about reading her chapters in the last book.

Wow. I agree with you on everything but Quentyn Martell. Well said.

And to get back on topic: Now that GOT hast broken the 7 million mark in the middle of the season, how long do you all think it will take to break the 8 million mark?

Does that mean you took the stuff at Craster's to imply that rape is ok? When I read about how upset people get. seeing obviously rotten people doing obviously rotten things, and acting as if that's condoning the act...I wonder about those people that get upset.

Wow. I agree with you on everything but Quentyn Martell. Well said.

And to get back on topic: Now that GOT hast broken the 7 million mark in the middle of the season, how long do you all think it will take to break the 8 million mark?

I think it will be next season or the season after that, tbh. I think we might see a boost in ratings once it moves past the books.

I work in HMV, the big entertainment store and they have these graphics around the store of famous TV shows with the famous lines like ''I am the one who knocks'' from Breaking Bad, and the one they picked from Game of Thrones, OUT OF ALL THEY COULD HAVE PICKED, was a picture of Dany and the quote ''Where are my dragons?!!'' I was like ''WTF?!? Really?!''

I work in HMV, the big entertainment store and they have these graphics around the store of famous TV shows with the famous lines like ''I am the one who knocks'' from Breaking Bad, and the one they picked from Game of Thrones, OUT OF ALL THEY COULD HAVE PICKED, was a picture of Dany and the quote ''Where are my dragons?!!'' I was like ''WTF?!? Really?!''

Oh god why?! That's literally Dany's worst quote of the series. The only one that might be worse when you stop to think about it is "Yes. All men must die. But we are not men." At least that was only uttered once. They felt it necessary to have poor Emilia say that other line multiple times over the course of several episodes. Ugh.

Oh god why?! That's literally Dany's worst quote of the series. The only one that might be worse when you stop to think about it is "Yes. All men must die. But we are not men." At least that was only uttered once. They felt it necessary to have poor Emilia say that other line multiple times over the course of several episodes. Ugh.

How about "I didn't come here to argue grammar."

The competition is really strong.

I guess Dany's story is so forgettable in season 2 that I had completely forgotten about that line. Ok, that one is a pretty big clunker too.

There are worse lines, I agree. I just think the line about them not being men is a really poor attempt at making Dany sound badass. Dany's response really doesn't make any sense. Valar morghulis isn't a Westerosi phrase and Dany, being fluent in High Valyrian, would understand its meaning. It's a statement about mortality, not about gender.

But I digress. I agree that she's been given a lot of bad lines. It's rather unfortunate.

You said that after S1 they turned her into an ass kicker. I was pointing out that S2 was not that, at all. I never said it was good.

You said that after S1 they turned her into an ass kicker. I was pointing out that S2 was not that, at all. I never said it was good.

Season 2 ended that way, though. They had her tell Drogon to burn the warlocks and then lock Xaro in his vault with Doreah.

I agree she wasn't really kicking ass for most of the rest of the season. I've tried to forget the mess of her arc from that season and tend to subconsciously leave it out of discussions (clearly a bad decision for discussions :D ).

Yeah, I agree. Mother's Day is the likely culprit. I'm really not too concerned either way. The show is still doing quite well even with the drop this week.

Yep. It's time to start expanding Ser Barristan's role finally. My biggest quibble with the show is how they've handled him. And The Mountain. He's such a good villain that he should have been on screen a lot more.

I think it will be next season or the season after that, tbh. I think we might see a boost in ratings once it moves past the books.

That is only ever likely to happen during the last season.

It looks like they will be primarily adapting A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons during the fifth season and The Winds of Winter the following year, by which time Martin will have already released the book (unless he is straight out lying about the fact that he is having an easier time with it compared to the previous two).

That only leave the final season unaccounted for (split up into two or not), and even then they will be following Martin's outline, and have Martin himself writing at least one of the episodes.

That is only ever likely to happen during the last season.

It looks like they will be primarily adapting A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons during the fifth season and The Winds of Winter the following year, by which time Martin will have already released the book (unless he is straight out lying about the fact that he is having an easier time with it compared to the previous two).

That only leave the final season unaccounted for (split up into two or not), and even then they will be following Martin's outline, and have Martin himself writing at least one of the episodes.

I would be surprised if TWoW doesn't somehow bleed into the story of next season. We've seen them taking from future plots already this season to help fill in some gaps- there will be even more gaps next year (especially with Bran's and Brienne's plot). I'm not saying they will start doing a lot of it, but I think we'll definitely see some developments that we don't know about unless Martin release TWoW before the next season comes out.

Even in yesterday's episode, we saw Melisandre saying that Shireen would be 'needed' at the Wall. That's something we haven't really known about until now. So we shall see.

Archived