May Reads

Garett Hornwood

Just started Paul/Phil Cornell's The Severed Streets, book 2 of the Shadow Police novels - supernatural crime stories set in contemporary London. According to the blurb at the front [REDCATED] is a character in it...

I liked London's Falling. And yes, I can never remember the author's first name...

You might want to spoiler code that shit. It's not in any blurb I've read, neither front or back, and some might consider it a nice surprise being totally ruined. I've just started reading it, and I certainly do.

I've been thinking that since the 60% mark, good to know that's it's going to get even more crazy! :)

I'm at 75% and Drothe is being attacked by the djinn

I'm loving this book, and I really hope it doesn't take him as long to get the third one written.

There were a few WTF moments that I did not see coming at all. And you can see the path of the next book in the epilogue. Like you, I hope he doesn't take too long to write the next book.

You might want to spoiler code that shit. It's not in any blurb I've read, neither front or back, and some might consider it a nice surprise being totally ruined. I've just started reading it, and I certainly do.

It's on the book synopsis on the front inside cover!

On the ebook there's no mention of him so you must have a different version than me. I'd spoiler tag it all the same.

ETA: Neither is he mentioned on the book blurb on Goodreads, Amazon, or the publisher's website.

Not sure this is the place to ask, but I wanted to buy the Kindle version of Saga (the graphic novel), and it's no longer being offered on Amazon. Is it just a regional thing (I'm in Latin America) or was it discontinued? The first volume was on sale this month :crying:

Not sure this is the place to ask, but I wanted to buy the Kindle version of Saga (the graphic novel), and it's no longer being offered on Amazon. Is it just a regional thing (I'm in Latin America) or was it discontinued? The first volume was on sale this month :crying:

I can't see it either here in Ireland. It is available on comixology, though. I think their app is much better for reading comics, but that's just me.

Now that Amazon have bought them, I hope the improved app. can come to the kindle.

I started reading Scriber by Ben S. Dobson, and i like it already, mostly because of the main character, which is a bitter and cynical teacher/medic/historian.

Finished, cool heroic fantasy (that is, emotionally manipulative, but i don't mind). Reminded me of David Gemmell actually, with the sex switched.

I think this is self published so you vapid lot who doesn't touch self pub books, and yet loves Gemmell might want to try it.

Struggling a bit with King of Thorns. I liked Prince of Thorns, but this one seems much slower. I'm just not really getting into it.

How far into it are you? It starts slowlier than PoT, but it picks up around chapter 9 or 10 I think. I just finished it, it was excellent. I didn't like the first one that much.

I can't see it either here in Ireland. It is available on comixology, though. I think their app is much better for reading comics, but that's just me.

Now that Amazon have bought them, I hope the improved app. can come to the kindle.

Thanks! I've never used comixology, but I'll give it a try.

It was 1.99 on Amazon :(

How far into it are you? It starts slowlier than PoT, but it picks up around chapter 9 or 10 I think. I just finished it, it was excellent. I didn't like the first one that much.

Chapter 17, page 180 :laugh: It has picked up somewhat, though. I may spend today reading it.

YMMV...I actually didn't intend to bother with the second one because I was pretty disappointed by London Falling. But, knowing that, I might actually give it a go ;)

I read Skin Game, which was pretty fucking awesome, then I read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North aka Kate Griffin AKA Catherine Webb, which was pretty fucking awesome, and now I'm reading Authority, by Jeff VanderMeer, which is pretty fucking awesome.

YMMV...I actually didn't intend to bother with the second one because I was pretty disappointed by London Falling. But, knowing that, I might actually give it a go ;)

Good point. Given the man has such a huge following, it might prove something of a master-stroke. As for the The Severed Streets itself, as a work of fiction it's not that great. Love the setting and the characters are kinda cool, but It doesn't feel as if it's been subjected to any kind of editorial process. Too many rambling, clunky, barely coherent sentences are making it more of an effort to read than the story warrants. Shame.

Spoiler-tagged the name, so it's still there for the curious.

Finished the Severed Streets. I liked it better than London's Falling though it's not a great read. But as it's essentially a crime novel, I wasn't expecting too much. Some interesting twists and the general tone is quite bleak, with some nods to recent events in London. Though one character reminds me of

Dean Winchester

I originally got London's Falling as I'm writing a supernatural/crime novel albeit with a lot of differences mine's better :P ). One thing I liked was the police 'politics' early on between the protagonists early on. Not great, but it'll be interesting to see where the series goes.

The GRRM quote is 'interesting'; it's basically '[Cornell's] written a book!' Yeah, thanks. :P

Archived