May Reads

Garett Hornwood

I just started reading the omnibus edition of the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb. I haven't read the Liveship Traders trilogy, so hopefully that doesn't diminish my reading expirience.

So far I'm enjoying reading about the Fitz again!

Rapture, by Kameron Hurley, was an excellent read, as strong as the previous two books, maybe even stronger.

The Girl who would be King, on the other hand, by Kelly Thompson, was badly written. It seemed to have some promise at first but quickly became painful to read.

Currently halfway through The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks. Started off kind of slow but I'm loving it now.

I'm also reading Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris. Probably not doing it justice since I'm only reading it when I'm waiting for the bus.

Currently reading In Dark Service by Stephen Hunt, the first of his new series, The Far-Called. So far, I'm finding it a lot easier to get into than I did his first series, despite really wanting to like that one. The writing is still occasionally a bit clunky in terms of what he's saying but seems to flow better, and he also seems to have more patience in terms of introducing his new ideas (and one of the central ones- that the world is effectively infinite, and unlike other similar ideas this actually makes its presence felt in the culture and thinking - is something that I really like).

It's 1.99 on Kobo atm, so take a look...

Abandoned James Ellroy's Blood's A Rover. The prose doesn't work for me anymore. Don't know how I got through the first two years ago.

I might pick up the Foundation prequels next. My expectations aren't very high though.

I finished the second book in Manda Scott's Boudica series, Dreaming the Bull. The second half was much better than the first half. I almost gave up.
I need something short and funny after reading two books on the eventual destruction of the Celtic tribes of Britain by Romans.
Lindsay Buroker's standalone, Balanced on a Knife's Edge, should be exactly what I need.

I'm currently reading:

• "Allegiant" (the last book in the "Divergent" trilogy)
  • "1984"
I'm planning on buying "The Hobbit" eventually when I can. I kinda spent too much buying Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen action figures.

I hated Allegiant. It was really a letdown. I'll be curious to know others thoughts on it.

I finished Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. It was a quick, enjoyable read. Since the book doesn't come out until July, I'll find the thread for it on this board and discuss it there to avoid accidental spoilers.

I'm going to be reading Adventism in America: A History edited by Gary Land just for a change of pace after my last few books.

Year-long readings update:

The Bible: Though Isaiah 29.

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Finished Henry IV, Part 2 and frankly reading it was just like watching it on stage or via adaptation on the screen, enduring the unfunny comedic scenes awaiting the Act IV, Scene IV and Act V, Scene V for what takes place within them. Going next to Much Ado About Nothing.

I hated Allegiant. It was really a letdown. I'll be curious to know others thoughts on it.

So far, I'm about 70-ish pages in and it seems to keep dragging on and on. But I'll post back here once I'm done with it for my final thoughts on it.

1984 is brilliant, I read that a few months back, hope you enjoy it.

I was given the final push to buy it and read it after watch a TED talk about the NSA and its policies, so I'm thinking it'll definitely interest me. I haven't gotten too far yet, but as I stated above, I'll come back and post my thoughts on it once I finish. (:

I loved M.R. Carey's The Girl With All The Gifts. I'm sick to undeath of zombie books and wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole if I knew it was going to be one of those. However, it won me over very early on and just kept bringing more awesomes to the table.

Up next: some Hugo reading with Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross.

Finished Assassins Apprentice by Robin Hobb; overall I enjoyed the book. Surprised it has as strong a following as it seems to do on this board as I only found it good, I did enjoy it enough to pique my interest and I plan on finishing this series as well as the Liveship and Tawny Man series. Fitz felt like a bit of a whiner but I do like him as a character. As long as the series stays at least the same quality as Assassins Apprentice then I will enjoy them.

Well I have decided to move onto some SF rather than keep going on with Fantasy so on with Dune it is! Hopefully read Dune before the end of May now work is getting a bit quieter!

Archived