What has pushed your boundaries?

Whipsy

I'm not sure if this has been done before but I haven't really seen it on the boards so perhaps not. I was wondering, throughout the series of ASOIAF, what have been moments while reading that have really pushed your personal boundaries? Have there been times where you've been so disgusted or off-put that you have to wonder if you can stomach through it? Or are you hardened and ready to punch whatever GRRM throws at you in the face?

For me it's the heaps of rape in the series. Especially the rape of children or borderline children, like that tavern girl the Mountain got a hold of or the mass gang-rape of Lollys. I also get a little squeamish and sometimes have to put the book down when they talk about killing babies.

Care to share?

Tysha's rape, very disturbing.

The rape and flaying and other disgusting things Ramsay does up in the North.

And yeah, I agree with the baby killing. Especially in the tv show, for some reason it's much more gruesome to me. ?

Also, eye gore. Normally I can withstand gore but whenever eyes are involved I have to pause a minute to compose myself. Oberyn's death was the worst for me then. Watching it this season will be hard... :ack:

The only time I actually got unpleasant goosebumbs were when Arya changed her face for the first time. I'm very concerned about my own welfare, and I dislike the thought of being wounded, so the thought of blood rushing down my face like that, and then the thought of wearing another humans face over it, without cleaning up the blood and fixing the wound first... Messes with my sensibilities.

As for the rapes and mutilations and deaths and such... I've got a very strong stomach towards such things, and though I'm disgusted by it, it doesn't upset me in the least. It happens all the time, all over the place, be it in the real world or a fictional one. The thing the Kindly Man did to Arya though, that's not something one comes across often.

None of the violence has balked me. I don't say that to sound tough, I say it to put into clear perspective what *has* freaked me out so deeply:

Jamie's lie about Tyrion's first love, and that it caused his little brother, who, remember, he is quite fond of, to have his wife raped by over twenty men and then Tyrion, and then sent away.

I still think about it sometimes. He had to live with that lie for such a long time. And it totally destroyed Tyrion.

Gregor's man I think it was Chiswyk at Harrenhall bragging of the gang rape.

Good use of one of the 3 lives J'aqen owed I think.

Oh god. I'm re-reading it and I just reached that part...that conversation was so disturbing. I bet GRRM died a little inside while writing it.

Flaying. Since the first time I ever heard about flaying in my High School World History class, the act and even the thought of being put through that remains just about the only thing that really bothers me.

Archived