What's up with all the misspellings?!

benalapin

Never heard of a Jamie Lannister :/

Wow, I never realized it was Jaime until just now. (Mereen and kettleback took me a long time to get right also)

Thanks, disgruntled internet guy!

Typos happen. Especially when you change your mind about framing a sentence, go back and edit, but don't correct for the inconsistency with the rest of the paragraph.

As someone whose day job involves proofreading, it really is a non-issue in this sort of context.

Jamie. Jamie is really only extremely annoying one - most of misspellings like this are just typos, but there seems to be a group who geniunely thinks that Jaime is written "Jamie Lannister".

I don't understand why you guys call it misspell or typos. They are not misspelled or typos. They are intentional. I like the names Victarian and Joffrey rather than Victorian and Jeffrey. It actually makes the name unique and nice to pronounce. (expect for essos names. I could never pronounce or spell them)

I don't understand why you guys call it misspell or typos. They are not misspelled or typos. They are intentional. I like the names Victarian and Joffrey rather than Victorian and Jeffrey. It actually makes the name unique and nice to pronounce. (expect for essos names. I could never pronounce or spell them)

The OP is not talking about GRRM creating new names. He or she is talking about readers of the books who can't get GRRM's created names right. I too like Victarion. It's one of the most badass names in the series. Victarion Greyjoy. Sounds like a guy you don't want to mess with.

Typos and autocorrects happen. I'm only ever annoyed by repeated references (by the same people) to characters like John Snow and Birenne of Tarth.

Can't blame anyone for Jamie. I have a niece with that name so that's how I'm used to spelling it. My fingers just automatically put the "i" after the "m" instead of before it. I try to go back and correct mistakes before hitting post, but sometimes I miss a few.

Generally, I don't care about people's spelling and grammar errors, so long as I can understand what they are trying to say. I certainly have been guilty of mis-spellings and goofy grammatical errors myself, like writing "their" when I meant "there".

The OP comes off kind of like a fourth grade schoolmarm waiting to rap people on the knuckles for the slightest spelling or grammar error.

I understand the importance the proper grammar and spelling, particularly in a professional enviroment. But, the point of this forum is to casually discuss a fictional work, not to write academic works about rational expectations or appeal briefs concerning death penalty cases.

The OP is not talking about GRRM creating new names. He or she is talking about readers of the books who can't get GRRM's created names right. I too like Victarion. It's one of the most badass names in the series. Victarion Greyjoy. Sounds like a guy you don't want to mess with.

For us not native English speakers, it''s kinda funny. It took me like two years to realise that "Dacey" is GRRM's way to write "Daisy".

And I like Victarion. My next pet will be named Victarion, even if it's a hamster.

Typos and autocorrects happen. I'm only ever annoyed by repeated references (by the same people) to characters like John Snow and Birenne of Tarth.

Can't blame anyone for Jamie. I have a niece with that name so that's how I'm used to spelling it. My fingers just automatically put the "i" after the "m" instead of before it. I try to go back and correct mistakes before hitting post, but sometimes I miss a few.

oooooh!! Gotchya!!!

Yeah!!! it bumps everytime a fan types in John Snow. If you dont know your characters, you've got to read the books again before comin' here!!!

oooooh!! Gotchya!!!

Yeah!!! it bumps everytime a fan types in John Snow. If you dont know your characters, you've got to read the books again before comin' here!!!

Oh come on... The bolded part is, and I am sorry, but pure BS

I mean, what do you expect of people who have read ASOIAF in different languages where the names have been transcribed and translated for the variety of languages. Half of us here can't spell half of Essos characters' names.

Come on people, relax... People make mistakes... Don't be an A-hole about this. I generally ignore these mistakes, since I know that this forum has abundance of foreign readers who have read ASOIAF and thus all the names in different language than English.

I mean, what do you expect of people who have read ASOIAF in different languages where the names have been transcribed and translated for the variety of languages. Half of us here can't spell half of Essos characters' names.

Luckily, Jon Snow is Jon Nieve and not Juan Nieve.

Come on people, relax... People make mistakes... Don't be an A-hole about this. I generally ignore these mistakes, since I know that this forum has abundance of foreign readers who have read ASOIAF and thus all the names in different language than English.

Essos names?? Agree (Agreed on my previous post itself). Other language guys, agreed. But English speaking guys??? Do not agree!

Essos names?? Agree (Agreed on my previous post itself). Other language guys, agreed. But English speaking guys??? Do not agree!

And are we going to check for each poster's origin before chastising them? Relax, you are a week here, no need for some attacking people for misspelling or typos... I have seen thousands of them, and never felt the need to correct them. No need to prove anything.

LOL

"what's your name, Bastard"

"Dzon Snezni"

"Bless you".

Snow= Snezni :)

And the name is transcribed for my languages. Here are some examples:

Jaime = Dzejmi

Rivers, Flowers, Sand, Stone = Recni, Cvetni, Pescani, Kameni

Myrcella = Mirsela

Geographical names are completely different from English counterparts...

Whaaaaattt???? lol!!! And how exactly are the essos names spelled in your lang??? Is it the same as in English???

They write them as they are pronounced.

Archived