What's up with all the misspellings?!

benalapin

I'm a grammar and spelling Nazi too, but this isn't the time or place for it. In case you haven't noticed, people, generally speaking, get more dumb every year. And quite frankly, no one reading or watching fantasy novels/movies really cares.

i do misspel names en all the other stuff, punctuation i just geus .. geas... guess. :)

its not my first, nor my second language en i would like to spell like a god but i try en just skip my post if its to much.

got dislexsia.. dyslectia... dyslectia... dyslexia ^^

i do love the books en think this should be enough to participate.

i do get how it gets harder to read en less fun so its good to try en get rite... write... gooder ^^

"Vikturyon" is fine with me. It's not like I can't figure out who you mean. "Tyion" on the other hand could be very confusing. Or "Braun."

:lmao: This is what came to my mind.

Damn, I've noticed this "Victorian" crap too. I can understand misspelling Jaimie or Meereen, but why the hell do only 1 out of 100 people spell Victarion right? I mean, I see it ALL THE TIME.

Maybe it's the same guy posting hundreds of times...

Either way, as Mladen said, chill out!!

Victorian surely appears because VICTOR/Victoria are popular names, and just like Jamie in english, people are more used to spell them like this rather than in Martin's way.

For us not native English speakers, it''s kinda funny. It took me like two years to realise that "Dacey" is GRRM's way to write "Daisy".

And I like Victarion. My next pet will be named Victarion, even if it's a hamster.

I didn't even connect the possibility that Dacey is a variation of Daisy, so you're ahead of me. I think I've actually met someone named Dacey before, so I'm not sure GRRM was the first to invent it. :D

Luckily, Jon Snow is Jon Nieve and not Juan Nieve.

LOL Spanish is also my first language but I read the books in English and translated to the Spanish version of the names in my head for fun… in my heart he will always be Juan Nieve (I will def. be forwarding that meme. Thanks for sharing)!! I translated Petyr to Petro (I had a macaw when I was young named Petro who was vain and very greedy with his food). What's his name in the Spanish books?

And are we going to check for each poster's origin before chastising them? Relax, you are a week here, no need for some attacking people for misspelling or typos... I have seen thousands of them, and never felt the need to correct them. No need to prove anything.

Snow= Snezni :)

And the name is transcribed for my languages. Here are some examples:

Jaime = Dzejmi

Rivers, Flowers, Sand, Stone = Recni, Cvetni, Pescani, Kameni

Myrcella = Mirsela

Geographical names are completely different from English counterparts...

They write them as they are pronounced.

Now I'm really curios about the changes in the Geographical names. Did the Slovenian names resemble their English counterpart in meaning at least? i.e. Winterfell in snowy north, Vale in valley between mountains, etc?

<snip

Victorian surely appears because VICTOR/Victoria are popular names, and just like Jamie in english, people are more used to spell them like this rather than in Martin's way.

I think Jaime is the traditional spelling for the male version of the name and Jamie for the female version. You're right though. We go with what we're used to or think we see. I'm amazed at how many people miss the "L" in Kettleblack.

For the person who suggested hero status for anyone who could correctly spell two Dothraki names and one Ghiscari name...

Irri, Jhiqui and Reznak mo Reznak.

Did I get them right? :D

Now I'm really curios about the changes in the Geographical names. Did the Slovenian names resemble their English counterpart in meaning at least? i.e. Winterfell in snowy north, Vale in valley between mountains, etc?

Not at all...BTW, I am Serbian, not Slovene :)

Winterfell = Zimovrel

Eyrie = Gnezdo sokolovo

Riverrun = Brzorecje

Casterly Rock = Livacka stena

They do mean exactly the same. Like "Zimovrel" it means the winter's hot springs, like those that are under Winterfell that makes is warm.

Only Essosi names were translated similar to English - Tiros, Bravos, Lis, Pentos, Volantis, Kart, Astapor etc.

Winterfell = Zimovrel

Eyrie = Gnezdo sokolovo

Riverrun = Brzorecje

They do mean exactly the same. Like "Zimovrel" it means the winter's hot springs, like those that are under Winterfell that makes is warm.

Only Essosi names were translated similar to English - Tiros, Bravos, Lis, Pentos, Volantis, Kart, Astapor etc.

Thanks for the info. I love listening and reading about other languages. Sorry about guessing wrong… I never seem to get it right with Slavic languages :frown5: , although I love how they sound.

Winterfell = Zimovrel

Eyrie = Gnezdo sokolovo

Riverrun = Brzorecje

Out of curiosity, are the books in Serbian Cyrillic, with you changing the letters to Roman for use in the forum?

I assume people here have read the novels and, therefore, have seen particular names repeated in the novels hundreds of times. Then why all the misspellings?

This one irritates me to no bounds : It's Victarion, not Victorian.

This one has been popping up recently. Is the show to blame? : It's Qarth, not Quarth.

Never heard of a Jamie Lannister :/

Those are the three that come to mind right now because they are the most prominent. I don't care if normal words are misspelt, really, but when names are misspelt I struggle to understand how such a thing is possible.

Why does it bother you that some forget oddly spelled words that have not been written by most people until aGoT, but not normal words that pople have been spelling for as long as they have been writing English? That seems backwards to me. I laughed when my computer underlined your misspelled words. But I guess misspelling normal words is ok to you so your fine.

That's some pretty heavy nitpicking there, OP. Not everybody has an eidetic memory. These are not only very strange, idiosyncratically spelled names but there are also a thousand of them, that people might misspell them is utterly natural. It took me years to remember how to spell Daenerys without looking it up,

This may or may not be the OP's reason, but one might be more critical of misspelled names or words that GRRM invented because one expects others to have encountered them first in writing, whereas one might have encountered normal words first in speech and misspell them based on their pronunciation.

This doesn't work, though, because speech rather than writing is the more basic form of language. Writing is taken as a representation of speech, so we generally have to come up with a pronunciation for words we read. Then when we write them, we draw upon that pronunciation. Our spelling can also be influenced by other similar words. Hence why even I, who usually have impeccable spelling, spent a while legitimately thinking "Daenerys" was spelled "Danaerys".

LOL Spanish is also my first language but I read the books in English and translated to the Spanish version of the names in my head for fun… in my heart he will always be Juan Nieve (I will def. be forwarding that meme. Thanks for sharing)!!

Earlier this year, my wife and I visited a small town on the Nayarit coast in Mexico called lo de Marcos (teeny, uncrowded, and charming shrimping village, we go there every year, it's marvelous and the community is very welcoming). This year, we happened to see two or three local cars parked in dusty driveways town with new-ish bumper stickers that read, "YO SOY NIEVE!" ("I am snow!") We asked a few resident expats, and none of them knew what it was about. So my wife and I began to imagine (not too seriously) that GOT must be a big TV hit in Mexico, and "Yo soy Nieve!" was a cool and geeky way to declare fandom. Like Spartacus...we are all Jon Snow! (We ruled out ski-birds or other snow-based explanations...none of these cars looked like they would ever make TO a big mountain, let alone UP one.)

But as with Jon Snow, we knew nothing.

Walking down the street I town one day, we saw an old man approaching with a white t-shirt that had written upon it with permanent marker: "Yo soy Nieve!" So we stopped him, and in our barely sufficient Spanish, we asked what the shirt meant. He explained that a fellow with the last name "Nieve" was running for a seat on the municipal council. The council was largely held by recent newcomers to the region, and this Nieve guy was "one of us," a local-born guy with generational roots in the district. Hence the solidarity.

"YO SOY NIEVE!" We are all Jon Snow. I could vote for Jon. However, "YO SOY STANNIS!" does have a certain ring to it. I remain uncommitted.

I think Jaime is the traditional spelling for the male version of the name and Jamie for the female version. You're right though. We go with what we're used to or think we see. I'm amazed at how many people miss the "L" in Kettleblack.

For the person who suggested hero status for anyone who could correctly spell two Dothraki names and one Ghiscari name...

Irri, Jhiqui and Reznak mo Reznak.

Did I get them right? :D

That´s the problem - I don´t know :D

But it was very brave of you to try, Lady Blizzardborn the Greatest :bowdown: :bowdown:

Archived