Glad to see The Mountain is moisturizing - see how young he looks!

That was so worth not being on GoT for...sigh...

Well, Gregor has had - what - 5 episodes he has been in? So it's not like there was a lot in Got for him either.

That was so worth not being on GoT for...sigh...

To quote an article on the matter:

"Strangely enough, original actor Conan Stevens left ‘Game of Thrones’ for a role as Bolg in the Hobbit trilogy, though Peter Jackson ultimately opted for a CG incarnation of the character, rather than the more intricately designed version with the actor in full makeup. Womp, womp."

I think in E8 that's what they do... good.

But Lord! do Dave and Dan hate helms!

Maybe to upset Geroge!

Lol, they do seem to have an aversion to helms, don't they? Still, I think in this case -- they need to use it. He'd maybe(?) be much scarier without us seeing his face.

I just wanted to point out that in the books, The Mountain is 8 ft. tall. (244 cm). George is horrible when he describes heights as this is completely unrealistic. The largest actively fit man I have ever seen or heard about is six inches shorter than that. His character in the books is completely cartoonish.

Because a series with dragons, magic and 800 foot tall walls of ice are realistic? If the Baratheon sperm can override any other DNA, a guy being 8 feet tall isn't a thing.

Are you guys fucking serious...

The age thing, I'll give you that. The guy is in his mid twenties I think, looks like in his mid thirties, but he doesn't look older than the Hound. Okay.

But his face looking too nice? Who cares what his face looks like? This guy is huge and they show him slaughtering normal sized men with a giant greatsword like they were kids. Call me intimidated. Do evil people need an evil facial structure? Should he grow a villain's moustache as well? Twirl it a little, so that we won't forget he's a bad guy?

Some people...

They actually managed to cast one of the largest men in the world as the Mountain, be content with that.

Imo, big isn't all that scary -- "big" doesn't make one a villian. It's the love of violence and killing, the lack of humanity, and the satisfaction he gets from it... this is what people fear (on top of the fact that he's crazy-big/strong).

And it's not only a face thing -- it's also an eyes thing. Seeing evil or malice in someone's eyes goes a long way toward making a character seem more realistic. Not Snidley Whiplash eyes -- just someone who looks/ACTS capable of the Mountain's acts.

This guy just... doesn't.

Because a series with dragons, magic and 800 foot tall walls of ice are realistic? If the Baratheon sperm can override any other DNA, a guy being 8 feet tall isn't a thing.

Lol well said. Crazy part is - he created such a well-rounded world where all of these things are realistic and completely reasonable

Imo, big isn't all that scary -- "big" doesn't make one a villian. It's the love of violence and killing, the lack of humanity, and the satisfaction he gets from it... this is what people fear (on top of the fact that he's crazy-big/strong).

And it's not only a face thing -- it's also an eyes thing. Seeing evil or malice in someone's eyes goes a long way toward making a character seem more realistic. Not Snidley Whiplash eyes -- just someone who looks/ACTS capable of the Mountain's acts.

Well put! I was trying to explain what I meant. This new one just looks so...cuddly

This is what I meant when I referred to George being horrible at describing heights. It is not an insult, he acknowledges this as a weakness as well. The 700-800 ft. tall wall is a mistake. An arrow shot from the ground by any longbow will travel less than 300 ft. In the books, they were hitting the top of the wall.

When George is describing heights in his books, I transcribe mentally to keep my suspension of disbelief active. I did this for the wall, and I also did this for Clegane's height. The point of the character is that he is substantially taller and stronger than everyone else in the world, not his exact dimensions.

:agree:

Well, Gregor has had - what - 5 episodes he has been in? So it's not like there was a lot in Got for him either.

Better than basically 0 scenes in which you can't even identify the actor. The duel with Oberyn will be one of the more memorable moments of the entire show.

The dragons and magic are defined as possible within the show universe. Gregor being like 2 feet taller than any other human being while still being incredibly agile and healthy is just inconsistent, but that's not even the point...The point is you need to find actors capable of performing that role so you're not exactly going to have any luck finding an 8ft tall, 30-stone man.

The scene itself was a complete failure in terms of concept and execution.

The setting was wrong AND pointless. In the books, Gregor is at Harrenhall and gets called back by Raven. In the show, nobody has mentioned where he is, but given the number of times he's been mentioned, it should have been easy to establish where he was and what he was doing (Polliver could have just mentioned it in episode 1). Tywin knows that Oberyn is hunting for the Mountain, so setting him in King's Landing is actually the worst choice possible.

Also, having him just killing people with no context is just stupid. He could get away with killing captives at Harrenhall or the Riverlands, or back in his own lands (all places where he is the highest local authority), but to be killing people in King's Landing, he should have some sort of legal authority backing it up. Something like, Tywin saying "dungeons are getting full since the Night's Watch hasn't stopped by lately, let's have Ser Gregor take over as King's Justice and sort things out, and then he'll be nearby if we need to give him to Prince Oberyn" at the last council meeting.

As far execution goes, I'm ok with the Mountain's casting, but there was no need to have him helmetless or shirtless. In addition to being older than Sandor, the focus in the fight scene is going to be him having raped Elia and murdered her and her children, so he needs to at least look old enough to have been a knight twenty years ago. Putting him in full armor would have made him look more impressive and scary (and made killing the people more terrifying), and he could have taken off his helm or lifted a visor when talking to Cersei.

To be honest, the number of times they've discussed Gregor in the show this season should have been enough to establish him, so this scene was really unnecessary to have even been included.

Better than basically 0 scenes in which you can't even identify the actor. The duel with Oberyn will be one of the more memorable moments of the entire show.

The dragons and magic are defined as possible within the show universe. Gregor being like 2 feet taller than any other human being while still being incredibly agile and healthy is just inconsistent, but that's not even the point...The point is you need to find actors capable of performing that role so you're not exactly going to have any luck finding an 8ft tall, 30-stone man.

No, you don't. The character wasn't written to be put on the screen - he written to be imagined. Of course his size is inconsistent - that's the point - he is an utter freak of nature. And we do have examples of exceptionally large, exceptionally capable people in the books - hell, Left & Right are 7 foot tall twins.

If they really needed him to be 8 feet tall, they could make it look that way - just like was done in LoTR with the Hobbits. They didn't actually have to find someone 3' to play that role, nor did they need to find a basketball team of 7'+ to play Gandalf, Aragorn, etc.

The casting is good, Hafþór Björnsson is literally one of the, dunno, 5 strongest people on earth, so that alone makes him utterly watchable. Thing is, the direction just sucked. You need someone as a comparison to see how fucking huge the actor is and the way this scene was cut just didn't do him any justice. The actor looks much more impressive here in some amateur photographs than in a professional high-budget tv-show:

http://wicnet.tumblr.com/post/63600690560

http://imgur.com/gallery/vAyCTOC

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Hafthor+Bjornsson+World+Strongest+Man+nHCcmMjUzNwl.jpg

http://assets.vice.com/content-images/article/ask-icelands-strongest-man-anything-you-want/1thor_vice_670.jpg

The casting is good, Hafþór Björnsson is literally one of the, dunno, 5 strongest people on earth, so that alone makes him utterly watchable. Thing is, the direction just sucked. You need someone as a comparison to see how fucking huge the actor is and the way this scene was cut just didn't do him any justice. The actor looks much more impressive here in some amateur photographs than in a professional high-budget tv-show:

http://wicnet.tumblr.com/post/63600690560

http://imgur.com/gallery/vAyCTOC

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Hafthor+Bjornsson+World+Strongest+Man+nHCcmMjUzNwl.jpg

Right now he's the third strongest man in the world and he's very young. I'm sure he'll be number one if he keeps free from injuries.

No, you don't. The character wasn't written to be put on the screen - he written to be imagined. Of course his size is inconsistent - that's the point - he is an utter freak of nature. And we do have examples of exceptionally large, exceptionally capable people in the books - hell, Left & Right are 7 foot tall twins.

If they really needed him to be 8 feet tall, they could make it look that way - just like was done in LoTR with the Hobbits. They didn't actually have to find someone 3' to play that role, nor did they need to find a basketball team of 7'+ to play Gandalf, Aragorn, etc.

They needed to do it with the Hobbits because otherwise it would be completely different. They've taken a character who was unrealistically large and used an actor that was really fucking big too. It's fine, they're not going to spend all of their time on special effects and camera tricks when it's completely pointless since you already have a huge enough guy that could be called "The Mountain."

What the fuck is the point of arguing that a character isn't meant to be put on the screen when they have no choice but to put him on the screen, by the way?

Are you guys fucking serious...

The age thing, I'll give you that. The guy is in his mid twenties I think, looks like in his mid thirties, but he doesn't look older than the Hound. Okay.

But his face looking too nice? Who cares what his face looks like? This guy is huge and they show him slaughtering normal sized men with a giant greatsword like they were kids. Call me intimidated. Do evil people need an evil facial structure? Should he grow a villain's moustache as well? Twirl it a little, so that we won't forget he's a bad guy?

Some people...

They actually managed to cast one of the largest men in the world as the Mountain, be content with that.

clegane should have a weathered older face with permanent evil lines from scowling at mothfuck#rs all his life, not this baby faced chap who looks like one of those guys you see in arty black and white photographs holding babys. completely mis cast.

sounds like any "big dude" at all would suffice for you. i demand a bit more.

The Mountain is big.

The Mountain is violent.

The Mountain fights.

...that's all the actor of the 'Mountain' needs for the role. Seriously, who cares what he looks like? He had one whole line...I don't see the point in comparing things from previous seasons to now because it's not as if he needs a nuanced approach.

Archived