[Book Spoilers] The Duel

Strangely enough you wouldn't think he would have needed poison to kill him with that spear thrust right through the chest. No matter how big you are, pierced stomach or intestines all the way though would kill you for sure. That guy the hound put out of his misery also "wasn't going to get better..". Have to wonder how the Mountain lives long enough to even die by poison with that wound. I didn't really think about that from the books, but seeing it made it come to mind.

Not a nitpick but an observation. Like I said in an earlier post, I loved the spectacle of it all.

I think seeing the violence of the conclusion was worse than reading it.

I particularly liked seeing Tyrion's silent reaction. Really captures the line of "I put my life in my hands and he dropped it." You could put a GIF of that after any subsequent time DeSean Jackson lets go of the ball on the half yardline of what should have been a touchdown run.

Haha, as both a GOT fan and an Eagles fan, that's painful yet very funny.

Both have the "I got this!" vibe.

Strangely enough you wouldn't think he would have needed poison to kill him with that spear thrust right through the chest. No matter how big you are, pierced stomach or intestines all the way though would kill you for sure. That guy the hound put out of his misery also "wasn't going to get better..". Have to wonder how the Mountain lives long enough to even die by poison with that wound. I didn't really think about that from the books, but seeing it made it come to mind.

Not a nitpick but an observation. Like I said in an earlier post, I loved the spectacle of it all.

He wasn't to know he would get the opportunity to impale him like that.

The poison was just insurance incase he only got a chance to nick Gregor.

I thought they did a fantastic job with the scene. The ending was as horrific and as shocking as it needed to be, and they succeeded in making Oberyn appear cocky and reckless, but not stupid to the point where you could see his death coming.

Surprise surprise! They fucked it up. Hell, the Hound's fight last season with Beric was much better than this. Tyrion's look of disappointment at the end said it all.

.............That statement makes no sense, I and everyone else who read that statement, now have a lower IQ, I can understand if people can make rational argument as to why they disliked the scene, but this, this is beyond words, that was a bad comment and you should feel bad.

.............That statement makes no sense, I and everyone else who read that statement, now have a lower IQ, I can understand if people can make rational argument as to why they disliked the scene, but this, this is beyond words, that was a bad comment and you should feel bad.

I think the comments meaning was that tyrion's look of disappointment was due to the scene being done poorly.

I thought it could have lasted longer, and the missing person that Gregor split in half would have added some umph to the scene, but all in all it still drove home what I got from the book, Oberyn's flamboyance and arrogance/rage made him make that 1 critical mistake, and it cost him everything.

Yes, thank you! Where was that endless beetle speech going anyway?

IMO, it was an analogy on the randomness of death and judgement. Tyrion's cousin never gave any reason as to why those beetles had to die, he just did it. The beetles had never done anything to him and they were in no position to defend himself. Tyrion is the beetle, life is the cousin. It keeps trying to squash him at every opportunity for no good reason (other than "you're a dwarf"). Chances are he will never know why, because the people pulling the strings / holding the rock (Cersei, Tywin, the gods) are either unwilling or too insane to give him an answer.

Some things I went nuts over--

Oberyn's "no, no, no..." got across a ton of his character. He wasn't toying with him in the "this is teh funsies!" sense, but doing what he could, what he dreamed of, to not devolve into complete sputtering rage. He wasn't thoughtless--he was glancing down at the Mountain as he railed at Tywin, but he made one wrong move, drifting a bit too close to Gregor's arm, and as Bronn prophecized,that was the end.

His screams! SHIT MAN! I don't care how much of a badass you are, you're screeching like a nutcase if your eyes are getting gouged out. Death is a leveller.

Ellaria's scream! Hit me SO much harder than the book version. I KEENED when she looked so proud--earlier she was nervous, but then she was like "you go babe, get your vengeance." Then her horror...fuck!

Oberyn letting himself get pushed around just a bit, to give him an advantage. It reminded me of that study about people who are a bit sauced having a better chance of surviving a car wreck. He really was like a snake.

Agreed on all of this. Oh good gods, the screaming... Bye bye, sleep, I shall not be seeing you tonight.

My eyes...

Going to have nightmares for days...

Agreed. I'm still feeling queasy. I don't think any amount of kittens, sugar and pinkie pies is going to get the images of Oberyn's squashed head out of my mind.

I think the comments meaning was that tyrion's look of disappointment was due to the scene being done poorly.

Exactly, how does that make any sense!? When he was writing that comment didn't he realize that they filmed Tyrions' reaction deliberately? They weren't just filming Peter Dinklages' off camera reaction to the performances of Pedro and the Giant (forgot his name) and decided to put it into the actual show? Unless I'm missing some sort of poorly translated sarcasm, I wish I never read that comment, it pains me to think some people are that dimwitted.

Exactly, how does that make any sense!? When he was writing that comment didn't he realize that they filmed Tyrions' reaction deliberately? They weren't just filming Peter Dinklages' off camera reaction to the performances of Pedro and the Giant (forgot his name) and decided to put it into the actual show? Unless I'm missing some sort of poorly translated sarcasm, I wish I never read that comment, it pains me to think some people are that dimwitted.

I don't think you understand.

Because the poster was being sarcastic, and poking fun at the fight scene.

Gore factor was a 10, but it didn't impact me like red wedding did, and reading the book version did impact me just as much as book version of the red wedding did. Honestly, it was good, but not spectacular like The Red Wedding on film was.

Just watched The Mountain and the Viper. I knew what would happen. I feel like, oh my god. I didn't think they would do it how it was written. But they did and I feel like I did when Drogo died. Except this was so much more gruesome. Pedro Pascal did an amazing job. If anything was ever translated perfectly from page to film, that fight was it. Wow. I know I'm shockingly optimistic, but I loved this fight. The reaction shots are not the fight. I didn't need them. Idgaf how Tywin feels about the fight. I only care about Oberyn's revenge.

Archived