The concept of promiscuity

Never in my entire life —and I run in some pretty sexually active and open circles— have I heard the word "slut" used disparagingly towards a man.

I've actually never heard a man being disparaged for having many sexual partners (it's often the opposite), let alone have derogatory slurs thrown at him for it.

Chaucer was ~600 years ago.

Not to mention that it meant "lazy" at the time.

I think one of the ways of reclaiming a normally insulting term is to give it a general, neutral value.

How do you propose we reclaim it? Or not reclaim it at all?

What 'we' do you speak of as it is a nasty word mostly chucked around and directed at WOMEN and a lot of the time by OTHER WOMEN. What is there to reclaim, I don't want the damn word

it isnt meaningless, there is intent and insult behind the word and claiming you can flippantly use it in an attempt to 'reclaim' it is pretty redundant when it's mostly thrown at women

to be fair, responses to PA have pretty much been reduced to direct insults pages ago. he has yet to do the same.

Ah. Now that's a statement worthy of disagreement. His entire premise is insulting, as has been pointed out over and over. His inability to give up the misogynistic good fight is insulting.

Ah. Now that's a statement worthy of disagreement. His entire premise is insulting, as has been pointed out over and over. His inability to give up the misogynistic good fight is insulting.

If he sticks by this statement:

I have a feeling my opinions get a lot of knee jerk reaction because I often describe the way things are, not necessarily how I want them to be

then PA's premise isn't supportive of a misogynistic stance as much as it just describes what he thinks the status quo is. I can imagine that it would be annoying to see one person talk about "how things are" while everyone else in the thread talks about "how things should be if people were nice".

Yes please, it turns threads that should be ended in three answers to 20 pages of entertainment.

Things would be pretty boring if everyone agreed.

If he sticks by this statement:

then PA's premise isn't supportive of a misogynistic stance as much as it just describes what he thinks the status quo is. I can imagine that it would be annoying to see one person talk about "how things are" while everyone else in the thread talks about "how things should be if people were nice".

Things would be pretty boring if everyone agreed.

So his casual acceptance of something that has been shown to be offensive and inappropriate time and Again through the thread should be excused?

Archived