"Hero reborn in the sea" - who is this?

mushroomshirt

I was re-reading A Storm of Swords the other day and I came across the Davos chapter where Davos and Stannis are discussing burning Edric Storm after the Red Wedding ("two is not three" and all that).

I caught something on this read that I hadn't before. When I searched for it, nothing came up either with Westeros.org or google searches.

"Edric--" he started.

"--is one boy! He may be the best boy who ever drew breath and it would not matter. My duty is to the realm." His hand swept across the Painted Table. "How many boys dwell in Westeros? How many girls? How many men, how many women? The darkness will devour them all, she says. The night that never ends. She talks of prophecies... a hero reborn in the sea, living dragons hatched from dead stone... she speaks of signs and swears they point to me. I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her? {snip -- it goes on}"

I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been discussed somewhere on these boards in the last 15 years (link anyone?)

Anyone have any idea who this might be referring to? I can think of a few people who have been "reborn" from the sea:

• Patchface - I think Mel would know if this was who the prophecy was referring to. The way she talks about him in Dance makes me think it is not him.
  • Davos - Like patchface, wouldn't Mel know that Davos was the person that this refers to?
  • Moqorro - He somehow survived the shipwreak of the Stinky Steward and found Vic. But he seems more like a sidekick than a hero
  • Aeron - This may be the most likely choice. He has a POV and many on these boards have wondered why. Perhaps this is why?

Or maybe it is just the same prophecy stated a different way about "born again amidst smoke and salt?" But the salt is the sea? Or is this another requirement on AA reborn? reborn in the sea doesn't really fit any of the usual suspects (Stannis, Jon, Dany).

It would be nice to get some thoughts from everyone here on this. Am I just reading too much into things?

Sounds like Daenerys. She was reborn at Dragonstone, an island in the sea. And her stone dragon eggs came to life.

Funny because I don't think she is Azor Ahai.

Actually the theory usually goes that Dany was reborn in the pyre in the Dothraki sea, after all you can't be reborn if it's your first time being born...

It could point to Dany who was reborn in the Dothraki Sea, and hatched living dragons.

A hero reborn in the sea could also point to Davos as others have mentioned, and he might have a role in the War for Dawn, not as AA.

It means that the legendary hero Azor Ahai will be "reborn" as someone else at sea, not that someone will be reborn at sea. Adding this with the "salt and smoke" part of the prophecy, it would appear that the hero must be born at Dragonstone.

Well, that's what I think Stannis and Melisandre mean when they talk about "a hero reborn in the sea". But I certainly think it could apply to the Dothraki Sea too.

"The frightened child who sheltered in my manse died on the Dothraki sea, and was reborn in blood and fire. This dragon queen who wears her name is a true Targaryen."

- Illyrio, ADWD Tyrion II

I think this must be it. Thanks!

I think its fairly likely that the prophecies will be "solved" with several different characters separately fulfilling said prophecies.

I think as echoed above, both Davos reborn in Blackwater bay, and Dany reborn in the Dothraki Sea are likely candidates.

I find it interesting btw that Davos is expelled from the waters of Blackwater to be given back to Stannis somewhat akin to Excalibur being give to King Arthur by the Lady of the Lake. In this tale, Davos would be the sword, Excalibur, Stannis plays the part of King Arthur with Melisandre playing the part of the Lady of the Lake (ultimately deciding that Davos is still of use to Stannis). There is imagery of Davos casting a sword like shadow over Westeros, and he even hears a disembodied female voice while he is stranded on the rock in the Blackwater.

It could point to Dany who was reborn in the Dothraki Sea, and hatched living dragons.

A hero reborn in the sea could also point to Davos as others have mentioned, and he might have a role in the War for Dawn, not as AA.

I come to think that Lightbringer is Jon and AAR will be the one who uses him against the Others. I think Davos is one of the likely candidates.

• 2 weeks later...

Dany fits most of the criteria of the prince(ess) that was promised/AAR

Born admist salt (on dragonstone which is surrounded by seas) and smoke (reborn amongst drogo's pyre)

under the bleeding star

at the end of a long summer, when darkness gathers (WW are here again)

Woke 3 dragons out of stone

The only thing that is missing is lightbringer/forging of lightbringer

But i think AAR is the embodiment of 3 people '3 heads of the dragon'

Archived