Why would the Highlords of Westeros declare for Jon?

Lee-Sensei

What if, for argument's sake, after becoming increasingly frustrated with IT candidates who know nothing of winter, they turn to Jon out of sheer desperation for a non-Southron Fool who has a clue about how to deal with winter? Jon was elected to the Watch as a compromise candidate (where his training and bastard status played equal part in getting him elected). And when Alys thought Stannis was a goner, she appealed to Jon as the last hope they had, since she thought there would be no one left to turn to. I think there's a plausible case that he he could be accepted as the de facto leader due to a dearth of other suitable candidates, especially ones with a clue about winter, and that it might not come down to a battle of force. That doesn't necessarily mean he'd be the one sitting the throne at the end exactly, but it's a plausible way he could get there I think (assuming winter reaches the South and becomes their problem too).

We'd need a other great council for that. Might not be such a bad idea and if everyone is buggered by starvation/winter etc its very much possible that they will all agree just for the sake of unity.

I don't think Jon's Targaryen ancestry is going to used as a method for the Lords of Westeros top rally behind to put him on the Iron Throne.

Instead, Jon being the legal son of Rhaegar and Lyanna will do 4 things for him:

1) It will in essence make him the Prince that was Promised

2) It will give him the ability to ride Dragons

3) it will give him the credentials to be a good candidate to marry Daenerys

4) Give him the support of the North as Lyanna's son.

All of this, but I don't see him marrying Dany.

It will be the same as with the LC election. The South will want a Targ since they already decided to join Aegon(now dead), The Vales will join whatever Sansa approves, The Riverland will join a Stark since they cant have a mind of their own. The North will join the guy with royal blood that knows his shits about the Others.

The only horrible ending for me includes Stannis sitting on the IT.

Having the same ol' "unknown bastard who's secretly from the royal family coming back and becoming king" cliche is horrible.

Everybody knows it, everyone has seen a movie/read a book where it happens....i have no idea why people would want a lame predictable ending like that.

The idea of a Great Council choosing the next king is far more ludicrous than just the idea of Jon becoming King. With enough contorted suppositions and 'ifs' stacked upon 'ifs' I could envision a scenario whereupon a few regions come to support Jon and make him the last king of the rest by force of arms. But I cannot imagine why the Lords of all the regions, with their various wars and grudges would suddenly decide to sit down together without already having a mutually agreed authority figure.

Having the same ol' "unknown bastard who's secretly from the royal family coming back and becoming king" cliche is horrible.

Everybody knows it, everyone has seen a movie/read a book where it happens....i have no idea why people would want a lame predictable ending like that.

It is GRRM’s story and he does not care about what kind of an ending the readers want to see. Besides, the secret heritage of Jon is not so easy for the common readers to catch and there are many clues pointing to him as the king such as here and here. If Jon will not become the king, why does GRRM insert these clues to the text?

It is GRRM’s story and he does not care about what kind of an ending the readers want to see. Besides, the secret heritage of Jon is not so easy for the common readers to catch and there are many clues pointing to him as the king such as here and here. If Jon will not become the king, why does GRRM insert these clues to the text?

To let us know who his parents are, which will play a role in how he views himself.

Him ending as king, when 100 different movies/books/games have played this whole story out already, would be horrible, predictable and boring. Disagree if you like, my opinion doesn't go for everybody obviously, i just think it's something that would be a terrible ending to the best book series i've ever read.

And yes, authors care about how the fans react to the ending of a story they took 20 years to write. Never met an author who didn't care about fans reactions.

To let us know who his parents are, which will play a role in how he views himself.

Him ending as king, when 100 different movies/books/games have played this whole story out already, would be horrible, predictable and boring. Disagree if you like, my opinion doesn't go for everybody obviously, i just think it's something that would be a terrible ending to the best book series i've ever read.

And yes, authors care about how the fans react to the ending of a story they took 20 years to write. Never met an author who didn't care about fans reactions.

“Kings are a rare sight in the north.”

Robert snorted. “More likely they were hiding under the snow. Snow, Ned!”

The best book series you’ve ever read includes such subtle clues right from the beginning and GRRM said that he would not change the ending just because some readers guessed it. He tries to make an unpredictable story but at the same time he inserts subtle clues to show that the butler did it. These are his own words.

Robb already did that during a Clash of Kings

Not enough apparently.

“Kings are a rare sight in the north.”

Robert snorted. “More likely they were hiding under the snow. Snow, Ned!”

The best book series you’ve ever read includes such subtle clues right from the beginning and GRRM said that he would not change the ending just because some readers guessed it. He tries to make an unpredictable story but at the same time he inserts subtle clues to show that the butler did it. These are his own words.

Do you not understand what i'm saying? I'm not saying it WON'T happen, i'm saying it would be shitty/predictable/boring if it DID happen.

And no offense, but i'm allowed to have my own opinion on this.

They won't.

It would be a horrible ending for the bastard to save the day and become king and be loved and respected.

The OP of this thread asks why the lords should choose Jon as the king. You come and say that they won’t do that because Jon being the king would be a shitty ending.

Do you not understand what i'm saying? I'm not saying it WON'T happen, i'm saying it would be shitty/predictable/boring if it DID happen.

And no offense, but i'm allowed to have my own opinion on this.

And now you post this.

How so?

The Westerlands hardly saw the true face of the war as it was seen in Riverlands. I think things will go much uglier for them this time.

At this point they would follow anyone willing to take on the lannisters and freys. Besides what tullys are left edmure not exactly his fathers son is he? In recent memory they remember the northen king of the trident who saved them and bought them a bunch of victories, not a tully.

1. Has anybody else really ? Everybody who might be we only from second hand accounts and the first hand account maybe tywin or kevan who is dead, the rest we know are great warrior's (garlan, tarly) and only showing aspect of kingship or dead or unacceptable (Jaime may be good at being king but his attitude and past is against him)

The most powerful families were redforts corbrays and Royce and the other wayn 'sumthing'. That would be like the Bolton, manderlys, umbers and ryswell all demanding war. If they weren't so loyal to lysa regency war would have happened. so providing sansa supports jon yea.

Targaryans lee.

The only reason people know about R+L=J is because of these forums, very few people would have figured it out and the TV viewers would have their minds blown away.

1) Better than him. He was stabbed to death by his own subordinates.

2) Those are only some of the powerful families in the Vale. There are other major families that weren't supporting allying with the Starks. In fact, House Grafton rules Gulltown, one of the major cities of Westeros and they weren't with Royce. Sansa has no power in the Vale.

3) I know. It still kind of sickens me.

4) I don't know. I've seen show only watchers figuring it out.

1. Really care to rethink that one

except he major banner men are cousins to the starks Royce and redforts among others.

1) Nope. Edmure's probably the most caring Highlord I've seen in this book.

2) Only some of them are and it's not even that they're close cousins. They're very distant as Robb himself said. That's besides the fact that the real power is in the hands of Harry.

4) I don't know. I've seen show only watchers figuring it out.

I think some have, but it's far, far fewer than the book readers who have figured it out. In my circle of show-only watching friends and family, absolutely none of them had reached this conclusion...and not because they are dumb or anything, but because there just hasn't been nearly as much said or shown about it as there has been in the books. I think they are being very sparing with it to make it a bigger shock at a later date. We see that they finally started talking more about it with Oberyn, and about how Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna leaving his sister and her children to die, so I think we will start to see more about it as the show progresses.

Archived