Legend of Korra Season 3

Sci-2

Does it feel to anyone else like retcon?

First suddenly dozens of Bisons, then the lemurs, now the dragon, the Dai Li? One might think that at least the Dai Li would have been eradicated.

Well, the lemurs are a different species. The bizons are apparently decendants from a herd in the fire nation kept by the Banti Tribe (the origin was a bit weird imo, I always found it strange that they didn't just introduce a bizon herd as private pets of the Fire Lord during the exploration of the palace in the last season of ATLA).

The Dai Li were probably disbanded, but the new Earth Queen probably re-instated them. She isn't anything like her father and she seems to hold a grudge against Aang and Zuko. And since the Dai Li were enemies of them, she might have reformed the Dai Li, to send a signal (that and the fact that the Earth Kingdom seems inherently conservative is enough of an explanation).

The dragons might have been preserved in the same way as ASOIAF. A batch of eggs that hadn't hatched before and finally could after Harmonic Convergence or something like that.

The airbending seems nice at first and will probably be cleared up and provide a good amount of cool battles and choreographed scenes, but still kinda destroys the impact that we got in ATLA...when it was about a last airbender.

Sure Tenzin and co make sense, but now everyone has a chance of becoming an airbender...probably even benders of other elements.

I mean it is cool to have all these elements, dragons, bisons, Dai Li, airbending, but actually it contradicts everything from ATLA.

Since Tenzin and his children already retconned the whole last airbender thing it isn't a big deal imo. And so far we haven't seen any bender getting airpower. Imo it are only the non-benders that get airbending, this to restore balance in the world.

The new villain airbender cannot be a air nomad by ancestry, as they were all wiped out.

It's kind of hard to believe that in all the thousands of year the airnomads lived, not one of them left the temple and fathered some bastards along the way. I think it's perfectly plausible that these people have a bit of airnomad ancestry.

The best guess would be that he is a guy that was trained by chi blockers and then used the choreography when he got the suddenly new power.

I could see that. I personally feel like he was just the most hardcore proponent of the airnomad lifestyle. Living, studying and training like an airnomad would have done. Perhaps there was some chi blocking in his past life.

seen episode 3 now. I do like that bar sing say is the same old oppressive stratified society it has always been. Looks like Aang wasn't able to do anything about that.

I was wondering if the old grandma was maybe the young woman Zuko briefly dated? It would have been a nice connection. If Sokka had been a bit older in ATLA I'd say he'd had an offscreen fling as it would explain the similarity in behaviour that Mako and his newfound cousin have.

Great animation during the fight scenes again.I'm looking forward to the Frightful Four fighting as a team.

The whole explosion person been a special type of firebender is curious. I guess there are lots of times where benders don't need to "dance" to use their powers so a lot of it is in the mind.

seen episode 3 now. I do like that bar sing say is the same old oppressive stratified society it has always been. Looks like Aang wasn't able to do anything about that.

I was wondering if the old grandma was maybe the young woman Zuko briefly dated? It would have been a nice connection. If Sokka had been a bit older in ATLA I'd say he'd had an offscreen fling as it would explain the similarity in behaviour that Mako and his newfound cousin have.

Great animation during the fight scenes again.I'm looking forward to the Frightful Four fighting as a team.

The whole explosion person been a special type of firebender is curious. I guess there are lots of times where benders don't need to "dance" to use their powers so a lot of it is in the mind.

Thats how it should be spelt! haha :drunk:

It is definite that the new Earth Queen is a descendant of Kuei?

Cause...he kinda fled on a dancing bear(the bear! the bear!...and the maiden-- king)?

Probably. That's generally implied by the word "Queen." It's also hard to see how somebody like that would risen to tht position out of her own merits.

Probably. That's generally implied by the word "Queen." It's also hard to see how somebody like that would risen to tht position out of her own merits.

Excuse me?

Change your tone for a start.

There are a lot of noble families alone in Ba Sing Se and definitely a couple of claimants or next in lines to the throne.

It is not implied that she is a descendant of Kuei simply because she has the title Queen.

Excuse me?

Change your tone for a start.

There are a lot of noble families alone in Ba Sing Se and definitely a couple of claimants or next in lines to the throne.

It is not implied that she is a descendant of Kuei simply because she has the title Queen.

I didn't intend any insult.

Usually in fiction, the reigning monarch is assumed to be the child of the previous one, unless explicitly noted otherwise. There are other possibilities, but it's still implied.

The Avatar Wiki says that she's Kuei's daughter. I think at some point in the episode she said that Republic City was built on land that the Avatar stole from her father.

I didn't intend any insult.

Usually in fiction, the reigning monarch is assumed to be the child of the previous one, unless explicitly noted otherwise. There are other possibilities, but it's still implied.

The Avatar Wiki says that she's Kuei's daughter. I think at some point in the episode she said that Republic City was built on land that the Avatar stole from her father.

that's the point..with the land that they stole from her father, but that could be anyone, and sure, the weakness thing seems likely, but Aang saved her father, if he was Kuei.

So that somehow doesn't make sense.

And Tonraq is neither an offspring of the chief from the Southern or Northern Watertribe in ATLA...so there goes that logic.

Actually. We don't know how Tonraq and Unulaq are related to the ruling family of the norther tribe during ATLA

On the other subject. There is the canon comic series that follows ATLA. The first part (The Promise 1-3) deals with Kuei, Aang and Zuko eventually creating the united republic.

It is implied in the episode, actually. She says "Aang took advantage of the weakness of her father". Hard no to see the bear loving Earth King in those words.

It is implied in the episode, actually. She says "Aang took advantage of the weakness of her father". Hard no to see the bear loving Earth King in those words.

see my other post.

see my other post.

I don't quite see how it doesn't make sense.

It makes complete sense.

Her father was very nice with Aang and cie, he let them found Republic City on Earth Kingdom territory, and his daughter holds grudge against them for it.

I don't quite see how it doesn't make sense.

It makes complete sense.

Her father was very nice with Aang and cie, he let them found Republic City on Earth Kingdom territory, and his daughter holds grudge against them for it.

Yeah..but Aang also kinda saved Kuei's life...and the city...and the Earth Kingdom..

Yeah..but Aang also kinda saved Kuei's life...and the city...and the Earth Kingdom..

And... so ?

You expect this unlikeable Earth Queen to be grateful ?

This type of characters remembers only the wrongs.

And... so ?

You expect this unlikeable Earth Queen to be grateful ?

This type of characters remembers only the wrongs.

omg like you are so right and I am wrong on all accounts and shit.

happy?

fine.

now we move on.

:stillsick: :stunned:

I think you need to decompress. No one wants you any harm. Neither BearShin's post nor mine were any kind of mean or insulting.

Please, don't take it out on us for no reason.

It's just a board, and we're discussing.

Thats how it should be spelt! haha :drunk:

Yeah, I just got sick of having to google the correct spelling every time I want to mention it :)

Regarding "earth kingdom capital" I can't help but wonder why there hasn't been a revolution there. Maybe there's a tight control of the media as in North Korea? It does seem like it was really hard for Mako and his extended family to communicate once they were outside the city.

No surprise to me that the Earth Queen is a brat. Her dad was an idiot and probably spoiled her. It's just crazy that she has so much power unless she isn't the one who reinstated the Dai li?

Just watched the two new episodes, this show has stepped up, so far this season is by far my favorite of the 3.

I'm really enjoying the pacing. Stories that are essentially two-parters with an over-reaching arc (much closer to the avatar format). Seeing the rest of the world again also reminds me of what a rich setting this show has and with places like the metal city popping up it's justifiably different from the time of ATLA.

Episode 4 wrapped up the earth queen thing pretty quickly and it was nice to see Tenzin work out the new airbenders have a choice.

Za'hir is turning out to be a great character and I'm itching to discover how he knows so much. For me it has to be that he's from a long lost air tribe or he's in touch with a former incarnation. I'm not totally convinced he is a true villain yet either and I suspect we'll discover some "bigger picture" before the season is out. Given his age I really hope he's not an illegitimate son of Aang though!

Tenzin's son still cracks me up although I sometimes worry it's foreshadowing of him being a bit scary as an adult. One thing I hope to see this season is a group of airbenders cut loose. We got a hint during the Earth Queen escape but it'd be nice to see their full power as a unit - as we've seen with other benders they are often most impressive working together.

Bei-Fong was being really unpleasant in this episode. It's interesting how Toph's behaviour has been distilled between her daughters (also interesting that Toph never settled down - fits perfectly with her independent nature) which has left Bei-Fong as stubborn but without any sense of fun or adventure (pretty sad). Hopefully she comes around or we get more on the reason the two really fell out.

Archived