How screwed is Jon?

JaegrM

If Jon survives/is resurrected how screwed is he?

I mean the only experience the NW has with people resurrected is the wights.

I can't imagine a scene where everyone is drawn to him after his ressurection, if anything I imagine even the members who were loyal to him would want to kill him if he comes back as UnJon.

Especially if the popular theory that he aurvives in Ghost and comes back more wolfish/aggressive.

I want nothing more than Jon to hold to his vows for the NW and for him to stick around, I just fail to see how it's possible at this point.

I assume the same plot armor that saved him after 3 attempts (including one successful) on an officer's life would help him again.

I can't imagine even a little bit that his "brothers" would accept UnJon, and Jon's plot armor is nowehere near as strong as Tyrion's or maybe Dany's

I hadn't considered the NW's reaction. A very fine point. My guess is Melisandre will reanimate him in private and tell him to run from the Wall for the fear of his brothers' reprisal. Thus getting Jon away from the Wall and freeing him of the "vows" because his life would be in jeopardy should he stay.

Probably not at all. If nothing else, Mel and/or the wildlings will shield him from the brunt of any more attacks or resistance. He's the most important and popular person on the wall.

I got the impression that while the Wildlings have their own brand of honor, they still kinda follow Dothraki rules "A khal who cannot ride is no Khal" mentality.

Except for maybe Val.

Isn't it stated that the Free Folk follow strength?

I hadn't considered the NW's reaction. A very fine point. My guess is Melisandre will reanimate him in private and tell him to run from the Wall for the fear of his brothers' reprisal. Thus getting Jon away from the Wall and freeing him of the "vows" because his life would be in jeopardy should he stay.

Exactly, But fleeing isn't really that honorable, and we know how much Jon wrestles with his choices being honorable.

I can't see him abandoning the NW.

He knows the stakes they're fighting for, and I can't see him walking away from that duty.

Unless his death somehow resurects a dragon a la' Dany in GoT, that's how she bound people to herm and I don't see Jon pulling that off

Exactly, But fleeing isn't really that honorable, and we know how much Jon wrestles with his choices being honorable.

He knows the stakes they're fighting for, and I can't see him walking away from that duty.

Unless his death somehow resurects a dragon a la' Dany in GoT, that's how she bound people to herm and I don't see Jon pulling that off

Honor is out the door if he's a shunned UnJon.

I like to think that what we saw in wasn't as much a killing as a method to remove him from office (permanent or temporary, I don't know). We know that the ironborn can save people who have technically drowned, perhaps there is a way that will be employed to bring someone back from the brink of death. By now word will have reached the wall that they have made an unpopular choice for LC in view of the crown, as well as word of Robb's will. Also, Jon's choices as of late show that he is, though sworn to his brothers, still very much emotionally attatched to the starks, due to the current turmoil happening in such proximity. By removing him from office, this would allow the NW to govern themselves in a more unbiased fashion, and allow Jon to go do what he has got to do.

I got the impression that while the Wildlings have their own brand of honor, they still kinda follow Dothraki rules "A khal who cannot ride is no Khal" mentality.

Except for maybe Val.

Isn't it stated that the Free Folk follow strength?

Even if they follow strength, Tormund likes Jon a lot, more or less like a son, and they'd follow Tormund like they followed him to the wall.

I see this going two ways. Either Melisandre rallys the NW behind him with a "Look at what Ruhulloo has done in his greatness, sent us Azor Ahai!" and people see him as a sign from God and rally behind him and Melisandre and that religion. This would be similar to how she rallied dragonstone behind Stannis with his 'magic' sword. Or, as pointed out above, they see him as malevolent and possibly tied to the wights or the walking dead and kick him out. This allows him to leave the wall and continue the story in that way. Kind of up to GRRM's will and whatever mood he's in I guess.

True, Jon does follow (or attempt to follow) the Ned school of "being a just man". Though he has betrayed it before, Ygritte, I doubt he would do it again so he would still champion their cause. Perhaps taking the fight Beyond the Wall with whatever brothers will follow UnJon and possibly running into a long lost uncle?! Or dashing south in hopes of uniting the quarrelsome kings into a formidable opponent to the Others (terribly unlikely).

I don't think we really can predict exactly how Jon will come back. I think it is likely he will spend time having warged into Ghost. But I don't think he will come back as UnJon. He will be Jon--just Jon having spent too much time in Ghost with his comatose body having been preserved somehow (ice storage?). As far as reactions, GRRM will take him in a direction that we probably cannot predict. But Jon is the Son(g) of Ice and Fire. If anyone has plot armor--it is Jon. Jon's leadership is critical to the endgame (according to Dave Benioff--who was told the ending by GRRM). So I am sure it won't be easy for Jon, but I think we know that he will prevail.

If the information ever gets out that he allowed Mance to live, sent him to steal away the wife of the son of the warden of the north, and he had deserted his posts, I doubt that he would get a lot of sympathies from his brothers. He can't overcome that kind of bad publicity.

If the information ever gets out that he allowed Mance to live, sent him to steal away the wife of the son of the warden of the north, and he had deserted his posts, I doubt that he would get a lot of sympathies from his brothers. He can't overcome that kind of bad publicity.

Too late. He read the letter in the Shield Hall.

Yeah. That's why they stabbed him several times.

Archived