Could Sansa become queen?

nymxria

I'd love Sansa to be queen, I've rooted for her since book one. Sansa could become an Elizabeth I figure, ruling on her own without taking a husband, but I feel it's more likely that she'll marry a king.

Also, what about the Elizabeth of York/Sansa parallels? (sorry if this has been mentioned)

IMO, Stannis is like Henry Tudor (Elizabeth of York's husband) as well as Richard. This is very crackpot, but couldn't Anne/Elizabeth Sansa end up marrying Henry/Richard Stannis, becoming queen that way? personally I think this is extremely unlikely, but I'm just playing with the historical parallels.

Henry VII also resembles Aegon, and a Sansa/Aegon marriage is probably more likely. If I recall my history correctly, Henry married Elizabeth to legitimise his claim somewhat. Sansa could potentially bring him North/Riverlands/Vale, and if you have a huge army, that's probably all the legitimacy he needs. Again this is tenuous as Aegon would probably marry Dany for her dragons if he wanted legitimacy.

From the WOIAF detailed Stark family tree a couple of things are clear:

1. Starks are ok with marrying first cousins it seems.

2. There is no hint of any Targaryen ancestry during the time period it covers. If any Targ woman ever married a Stark, it was before the Dance of Dragons. Therefore Sansa has no claim at all on the Iron Throne, except if she takes it by conquest.

If Jon becomes king, which may or may not happen, he could marry his first cousin Sansa who he thinks of as his sister. This apparently would not be against the incest prohibition in the North (It would just be weird).

Or, if Tyrion somehow became King, Sansa is his queen because they are already married.

Or, if LF makes a bid for the North in Sansa's name but runs up against Stannis, Sansa would be unwilling to fight against Northerners, and they would be fighting for Rickon or Jon allied with Stannis. She would make a peace deal, and that deal might include marrying Stannis. This is pretty high on the ick factor given his age and personality, but possible, if Selyse were dead.

I very much doubt that LF plans for her to marry Aegon, and that is not a move she would chose for herself. I don't see that happening. She is not the type to chose marriage purely for ambition any more. I also don't see any other major contenders for king emerging in the next two books.

I'd love Sansa to be queen, I've rooted for her since book one. Sansa could become an Elizabeth I figure, ruling on her own without taking a husband, but I feel it's more likely that she'll marry a king.

Also, what about the Elizabeth of York/Sansa parallels? (sorry if this has been mentioned)

IMO, Stannis is like Henry Tudor (Elizabeth of York's husband) as well as Richard. This is very crackpot, but couldn't Anne/Elizabeth Sansa end up marrying Henry/Richard Stannis, becoming queen that way? personally I think this is extremely unlikely, but I'm just playing with the historical parallels.

Henry VII also resembles Aegon, and a Sansa/Aegon marriage is probably more likely. If I recall my history correctly, Henry married Elizabeth to legitimise his claim. Sansa could potentially bring him North/Riverlands/Vale, and if you have a huge army, that's probably all the legitimacy he needs. Again this is tenuous as Aegon would probably marry Dany for her dragons if he wanted legitimacy.

Stannis is much more Richard than Tudor. I suppose both had dour personalities, if that's what you mean, but story-wise Stannis is Richard if he's anyone from that era. (I see Curthose too, or Rufus)

As far as tudor's marriage, officially he claimed the throne entirely on Bosworth/conquest. Un-officially his distant claim and marriage helped. It should be noted that the idea that the Wars of the Roses ended with Bosworth/ the marriage is entirely Tudor spin. Some of the biggest and bloodiest battles came afterwards.

Henry VII also resembles Aegon, and a Sansa/Aegon marriage is probably more likely. If I recall my history correctly, Henry married Elizabeth to legitimise his claim. Sansa could potentially bring him North/Riverlands/Vale, and if you have a huge army, that's probably all the legitimacy he needs. Again this is tenuous as Aegon would probably marry Dany for her dragons if he wanted legitimacy.

Dubious. Elisabeth of York was the only surviving heir of Edward after her brothers were murdered. Her mother Elizabeth Woodville bethrothed her to Henry VII, descendant of a bastard line never meant to inherit on the suggestion that he would invade and kill Richard.

While Bran and Rickon as set up as the Princes in the Tower we know they are both alive. Littlefinger and Tywin operate on the perception she is in the same position as Elizabeth but she is not. One could suggest that perhaps that perception allows her to be married to Aegon Blackfyre and take the throne and some point, him having invaded and killed the Lannisters. But I don't think that will be long term and as you say, offers no legitimacy. Also, it wouldn't offer him the North or the Riverlands as she is not actually the heir, who Manderley is on the case of. Nor does she have a claim to the Vale who are likely to fight for Ned, Robert and Jon's memory and not for her.

Westeros might very well revert to a three kingdom system by the end - North, Central (which would claim the "Westeros" name), and Dorne.

Sansa marries Trystane Martell (after Myrcella's prophesied death) and becomes Queen of Dorne. This would ensure that she has an unlimited supply of lemons for lemoncakes. (By the end of the story Sansa will have her priorities thoroughly sorted out. Lemoncakes are more important than men or power.)

Dubious. Elisabeth of York was the only surviving heir of Edward after her brothers were murdered. Her mother Elizabeth Woodville bethrothed her to Henry VII, descendant of a bastard line never meant to inherit on the suggestion that he would invade and kill Richard.

While Bran and Rickon as set up as the Princes in the Tower we know they are both alive. Littlefinger and Tywin operate on the perception she is in the same position as Elizabeth but she is not. One could suggest that perhaps that perception allows her to be married to Aegon Blackfyre and take the throne and some point, him having invaded and killed the Lannisters. But I don't think that will be long term and as you say, offers no legitimacy. Also, it wouldn't offer him the North or the Riverlands as she is not actually the heir, who Manderley is on the case of. Nor does she have a claim to the Vale who are likely to fight for Ned, Robert and Jon's memory and not for her.

Yes, I am aware about the Bran/Rickon Princes in the Tower link, meaning Sansa isn't the only surviving heir. Seeing as previous posters have made links between Queen Elizabeth I's childhood and Sansa's childhood in their arguments for Sansa becoming like a historical queen, I could see some links between Elizabeth of York/Sansa in the same vein. Obviously making absolute links between the characters and historical figures is shaky at best, and its definitely true that there are as many differences as similarities between Sansa and Elizabeth.

As for the potential Sansa/Aegon alliance and the backing of the North/Riverlands/Vale, I know that Sansa only has a claim to the North/tenuous one to the Riverlands which may or may not evaporate once Rickon is found, or indeed if Rickon is found at all. I included the Vale in the list of Sansa's potential allies not because she has a claim there, but because with Lysa dead and Sweetrobin as her cousin ( if he lives maybe with Bronze Yohn or someone else as regent) it makes sense for her to at least try to ally with them. I wouldn't say that it's a negative thing for Sansa that the Vale would fight for Ned, Robert, and Jon's memory and not for her. If Aegon or Sansa promised vengeance for their liege lord murdered by the Lannisters (or so they think) or Jon's former wards I would suggest that's as good a reason as any for the Vale to raise their banners. Even if they only fight for revenge and not specifically to make Sansa queen, its not an alliance that Sansa should turn down. Of course, the loyalty of the Vale is entirely dependent on who's in charge, and if its LF I definitely wouldn't bank on their support like I would from the North and possibly Riverlands.

There's also the matter of Dany potentially landing in the Vale, which could throw the whole Aegon/Sansa alliance out of the window, since Dorne will probably declare for him and he'll marry Arianne. Dany to me is another potential candidate for the Henry VII role, so even if Sansa's not the Elizabeth of York role, they might still be allies or it'll be a case of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. The potential parallels between Sansa/Sharra Arryn and Dany/Visenya are also interesting as well and point to them being possible grudging allies. I'd say if Dany and Sansa ally though, Sansa may not become queen of the seven kingdoms, the best she could hope for is probably QiTN if that.

Yes Sansa should. The Queen in the North has a sweet ring to it.

She is defiantly the most capable of ruling out of her siblings if she keeps up the way she is...providing Petyr is dealt with.

But whenever or not she will marry to secure another region is another matter, she seemed pretty dead serious about not wanting to marry again.

It is sad to see a 13 year old be so broken inside that she comes to hate the idea of trying again for a potentially happy marriage and future, but after living in purgatory that started because of an arrange marriage, I would not be surprised if she actually does refuse to marry again.

Their is the matter of Tyrion though...actually I think she is in fact the queen who takes everything from Cersei that Maggy spoke off.

It always seemed to obvious for Margery was the queen. Sansa has the benefit of being married to Tyrion in that regard, so if he ever gets his named cleared and claims the Rock, Sansa will stand to gain the Rock as well as having the North and Riverrun.

Plus it spares her of another wedding.

Archived