Could Sansa become queen?

nymxria

It's complicated. She doesn't have any claim to the Throne herself and she'd be hard pressed to get the military power to conquer it for her. She could marry a King, very much depending on how things develop through TWOW - she's definitely not Queen of the 7K material by early TWOW. Or Tyrion might claim the Iron Throne after Daenerys dies and Sansa could claim she's the Queen, as they remain legally married.

Ancient family bloodline, beautiful and a possibly heir to the North makes her a valid candidate still but I don't think she will. There'd just be something weird if she had all these dreams about being queen only to have them smashed and reevaluate herself only to become queen in the end. Just seems like a strange character arc to me.

I think Stannis is Richard III.

The closest character to him in the story is Stannis yes.

King Richard III had a physical deformity, portrayed with a hunched back and monstrous in appearance by Shakespeare (an exaggeration). Tyrion is physically deformed.

Richard had a short reign which is generally thought prosperous and progressive in modern times. Tyrion had a short but succesful reign as Hand.

Though his reign is generally thought well of in modern times in the aftermath of his reign Richard was decried as a villainous king by the realm and London. Tyrion suffers the same type of backlash in King's Landing after his tenure as Hand.

Richard III was accused (very possibly correctly) of murdering his nephews who would have been kings before him. Tyrion is accused of murdering his nephew Joffrey to become king.

Richard III was portrayed as a monstrous villain by Shakespeare in the play Richard III.

Tyrion is likewise portrayed in the Bloody Hand by Phario Forel in the Mercy sample chapter. The opening scene and language of the Bloody Hand heavily parallels the opening scene of Richard III, there really can be no mistaking GRRM's intent here, it's a homage.

Richard III married a traitor's daughter Anne Neville, it is commonly believed he did so for her family claim. Tyrion is married to a traitor's daughter Sansa for her family claim to Winterfell and Lordship of the North. The Nevilles were powerful in the North as the Starks are also.

Other notable events of King Richard III's life which Tyrion has not (yet) paralleled.

- Richard III is declared king when his nephews are declared illigitimate.

- Richard III is (allegedly but famously thought to have been) betrayed on the battle field by his own forces and killed in combat. He is the last English monarch to be killed in battle.

Anne Neville was the daughter of a declared traitor. Sansa is the daughter of a declared traitor.

The Neville's were a powerful Northern family in England. The Starks are a powerful Northern family in Westeros.

Anne Neville was married to Edward of Lancaster who it was hoped by his mother and supporters would become King. Edward is commonly depicted as having been cruel to Anne (although there's not really any evidence of such) and generally a bloodthirsty individual. Sansa is betrothed to Joffrey when he is similiarly positioned to become king and likewise of a similar character as Edward and is cruel to Sansa.

Margaret of Anjou paralells Cersei. She was queen of England as Cersei was queen of Westeros. She was a hard woman and notable for her leadership in male dominated society, she was thought to be bitter about her sex having been a barrier to her rule. Cersei also becomes a leader in a male orientated world and is bitter about having been born a woman. Margaret mothered Edward of Lancaster as Cersei mothered Edward's parallel Joffrey. Margaret is often portrayed as having a ruthless hunger for power like Cersei.

Margaret of Anjou consented to the marriage of her son Edward to Anne Neville as Cersei consented (for a time) to the marriage of Joffrey to Sansa, and later Tyrion to Sansa. Margaret is commonly depicted as having been rude or worse towards Anne (although I believe there's no real evidence of such) as Cersei treats Sansa harshly.

Anne Neville married Richard III, Sansa marries Tyrion who is Richard's parallel as per the above.

Other notable events of Anne's life which Sansa has not (yet) paralleled.

- Anne Neville becomes Richard III's Queen when Richard's nephews are declared illegitimate.

King Richard III had a physical deformity, portrayed with a hunched back and monstrous in appearance by Shakespeare (an exaggeration). Tyrion is physically deformed.

Richard had a short reign which is generally thought prosperous and progressive in modern times. Tyrion had a short but succesful reign as Hand.

Though his reign is generally thought well of in modern times in the aftermath of his reign Richard was decried as a villainous king by the realm and London. Tyrion suffers the same type of backlash in King's Landing after his tenure as Hand.

Richard III was accused (very possibly correctly) of murdering his nephews who would have been kings before him. Tyrion is accused of murdering his nephew Joffrey to become king.

Richard III was portrayed as a monstrous villain by Shakespeare in the play Richard III.

Tyrion is likewise portrayed in the Bloody Hand by Phario Forel in the Mercy sample chapter. The opening scene and language of the Bloody Hand heavily parallels the opening scene of Richard III, there really can be no mistaking GRRM's intent here, it's a homage.

Richard III married a traitor's daughter Anne Neville, it is commonly believed he did so for her family claim. Tyrion is married to a traitor's daughter Sansa for her family claim to Winterfell and Lordship of the North. The Nevilles were powerful in the North as the Starks are also.

Other notable events of King Richard III's life which Tyrion has not (yet) paralleled.

- Richard III is declared king when his nephews are declared illigitimate.

- Richard III is (allegedly but famously thought to have been) betrayed on the battle field by his own forces and killed in combat. He is the last English monarch to be killed in battle.

Anne Neville was the daughter of a declared traitor. Sansa is the daughter of a declared traitor.

The Neville's were a powerful Northern family in England. The Starks are a powerful Northern family in Westeros.

Anne Neville was married to Edward of Lancaster who it was hoped by his mother and supporters would become King. Edward is commonly depicted as having been cruel to Anne (although there's not really any evidence of such) and generally a bloodthirsty individual. Sansa is betrothed to Joffrey when he is similiarly positioned to become king and likewise of a similar character as Edward and is cruel to Sansa.

Margaret of Anjou paralells Cersei. She was queen of England as Cersei was queen of Westeros. She was a hard woman and notable for her leadership in male dominated society, she was thought to be bitter about her sex having been a barrier to her rule. Cersei also becomes a leader in a male orientated world and is bitter about having been born a woman. Margaret mothered Edward of Lancaster as Cersei mothered Edward's parallel Joffrey. Margaret is often portrayed as having a ruthless hunger for power like Cersei.

Margaret of Anjou consented to the marriage of her son Edward to Anne Neville as Cersei consented (for a time) to the marriage of Joffrey to Sansa, and later Tyrion to Sansa. Margaret is commonly depicted as having been rude or worse towards Anne (although I believe there's no real evidence of such) as Cersei treats Sansa harshly.

Anne Neville married Richard III, Sansa marries Tyrion who is Richard's parallel as per the above.

Other notable events of Anne's life which Sansa has not (yet) paralleled.

- Anne Neville becomes Richard III's Queen when Richard's nephews are declared illegitimate.

Tyrion is Shakespeare's Richard III

Stannis is closer to the real one.

If you insist. The real Richard III was still physically deformed, had his reign unfairly portrayed, was accused of killing his nephew(s) to become king and married a traitor's daughter from a powerful Northern family who also just happens to parallel Sansa.

What do you have for Stannis to the "real" Richard? I have it that he is one of three brothers, claims kingship due to his brother's sons being illegitimate and generally thought a tough justice, dour and mistrusted by nobles (but all in all still preferable to the newblood Woodvilles).

If you insist. The real Richard III was still physically deformed, had his reign unfairly portrayed, was accused of killing his nephew(s) to become king and married a traitor's daughter from a powerful Northern family who also just happens to parallel Sansa.

What do you have for Stannis to the "real" Richard? I have it that he is one of three brothers, claims kingship due to his brother's sons being illegitimate and generally thought a tough justice, dour and mistrusted by nobles (but all in all still preferable to the newblood Woodvilles).

I don't want to derail this thread because this could be discussed to no end, perhaps as a new thread but I'll give you a couple of examples.

1. Although the real Richard had a curvature of the spine it would not have hindered an active lifestyle. He certainly wasn't the monster Tyrion and Shakespeare's Richard are.

2. While Tyrion is believed to have murdered his nephew at large, as Shakespeare's is presented, the reality we know for sure is that he claimed his brothers children were illegitimate as Stannis did.

3. While Shakespeare's Richard is acknowledged to be dangerous in battle he is presented as a political schemer as Tyrion is. I believe he was more of a warrior type as Stannis is. His actions in battle suggest this I believe.

4. While in Shakespeare's play Richard is the brother of the 'sun of York' as Tyrion is brother to the 'golden son', the reality is his brother was more like Robert Baratheon and flawed particularly near the end of his reign as Robert was.

5. When the going got tough for Edward/Robert Stannis/Richard stayed utterly loyal. Tyrion and the Richard in the play underplay this trait.

6. The Woodvilles becoming heavily entrenched in Edward's reign and achieving high positions because of this marital connection while being disliked by the rest of the nobility has a lot in common with the Lannisters to me but this one is more open to interpretation.

Tyrion is not Shakespeare's Richard. In essence Shakespeare's Richard is a monstrous Machiavellian schemer of the like portrayed in the bloody hand. That's not Tyrion, he is a complex and grey character, not an evil caricature. He didn't scheme to undermine his family for personal gain, plot to marry Sansa, kill his nephew(s) or take the throne, as would be the case if he was indeed a parallel of the play. The gross exaggeration of Richard's deformity granted is an aspect of the play.

There's nothing in the warrior thing as neither Stannis or Tyrion are renowned warriors (and we're given a better account of Tyrion in combat than Stannis) and it's wrong to attribute Richard III being accused of killing his nephews as being an aspect of Shakespeare's play rather than an aspect of Richard III's life.

I don't disagree with the parallels that slot Stannis into the Brother's York and allow him his claim, but don't think they're nearly as consequential as the clear marriage, reign, deformity, murder accusations and public perception parallels that have gone into making up the arc of the most voluminous character in the series.

Tyrion is not Shakespeare's Richard. In essence Shakespeare's Richard is a monstrous Machiavellian schemer of the like portrayed in the bloody hand. That's not Tyrion, he is a complex and grey character, not an evil caricature. He didn't scheme to undermine his family for personal gain, plot to marry Sansa, kill his nephew(s) or take the throne, as would be the case if he was indeed a parallel of the play. The gross exaggeration of Richard's deformity granted is an aspect of the play.

There's nothing in the warrior thing as neither Stannis or Tyrion are renowned warriors (and we're given a better account of Tyrion in combat than Stannis) and it's wrong to attribute Richard III being accused of killing his nephews as being an aspect of Shakespeare's play rather than an aspect of Richard III's life.

I don't disagree with the parallels that slot Stannis into the Brother's York and allow him his claim, but don't think they're nearly as consequential as the clear marriage, reign, deformity, murder accusations and public perception parallels that have gone into making up the arc of the most voluminous character in the series.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying the actual Tyrion is Shakespeare's Richard III but the monster most people see him as is Shakespeare's Richard III, I should have made that more clear. Warrior was a poor choice of word. Commander would have been better.

I don't think so. The girl who dreamed of being a Queen, who revelled in being above others to have them at the mercy of her 'kindness', who treated her own sister like dirt delighting in the idea that she will one day be actually beneath her will not or should not be Queen.

As for the Anne Neville parallels, Anne Neville died young, only 28. Now I don't see Sansa appearing as a 28 year old in these books but she could still die young. Another parallel with the Neville Sisters but not exact, Anne was never arranged to be queen. Her older sister married Edward's brother the Duke of Clarence and he and her father then rebelled. Sansa in this instance takes the role of Anne's sister in being set up as a queen but who would never actually sit on the throne. Anne Neville's marriage to Richard wasn't dynastic, it was either love or an alliance between themselves and not their families. So these things dont work exactly.

I think Sansa is the younger queen in Maggy’s prophecy. And like all the other aspects of that prophecy, Cersei will be the one to make her queen and summon the doom unto herself by her own doing.

I think Sansa will be taken to KL as the hostage of Cersei. After she is cleared from the charges against her, Cersei will continue to keep her. I expect Margaery to lose her trial. So, she will be executed. Even if is spared and sent to the silent sisters, Cersei will have her marriage to Tommen annulled. By this time, Lord Rickon Stark will be installed to Winterfell after the Boltons are destroyed and the North will side with Stannis.

However, Cersei will declare that the boy is feint which makes Sansa the heir to Winterfell. Moreover, she will marry her to Tommen to legally claim the North through marriage. Of course the North will not lift a finger for her but as long as she keeps Sansa, neither Stannis, nor the Stark loyalists in Riverlands and the Vale will dare attack the KL.

Sansa will be seemingly a hostage but she will use her skills to manipulate Cersei into follies. This way she will fulfill Maggy’s prophecy and Cersei will be taken down by the Queen she herself made.

I like this a lot...

As a Ricardian, I would say that while there is some of Richard in both Stannis and Tyrion, the differences are all significantly in Richard's favour. I would say Robert is more late Edward than anyone is Richard or Clarence.

But there are other '3 brother' English king parallels that work. The Conqueror's sons are a pretty solid comparison as well, and Renly is more Henry I than anyone in the late Plantagenet era.

Then there are Henry II's brood; Stannis has some John, Renly some Geoffrey, etc.

I believe the quote the Op is referring to was one of Martin's on the show. He treats the audiences separately. Someone who watches the show would find Aegon unexpected. They would also not expect a sworn brother of the NW (Jon) a good candidate either. I wouldn't rule out Sansa, its certainly plausible she ends up ruling, though I wouldn't use a Martin quote the show audience as evidence.

Sansa isn't all that unexpected though, since Littlefinger said he'd give her the Vale, the Riverlands and the North. And that he still has bigger plans is also obvious.

I mean people even argue that LF meant Sansa when he said that "the war of the three queens" bit.

I don't think Sansa will end up as queen. She did dream of it once, but she also dreamed of marrying a handsome prince. Her arc with Littlefinger also has to do with gaining power by different means, his plan is not to sit on the throne himself but to have someone he controls on it. I think Sansa will follow suit, not because she wanted or tried to gain power, but because she had to out of necessity. Sansa does not want power or marriage anymore, she wants to survive, and she wants to be safe ( and she wants her family with her too), and gaining power may be the only way to get what she wants.

I think in the end Sansa will be Queen, in the same vein as Elizabeth I, the Virgin Queen. And I think one of her first orders of business will be to ship the Iron throne to the Iron Bank, they paid for it, might as well have it. And the best part is if she needs killing done, she will have Arya as the Queens Justice, so no one will see it coming.

Archived