I just have to reiterate a point that is of incredible significance...

Regarding Sandor vs Polliver and the Tickler, he was exhausted from hard travel and had just downed a fair amount of wine on an empty stomach. He was very drunk. Arya sees this plainly. Only Cyrano de Bergerac fights well when drunk.

Same could be said for when he faced Brienne, and he had two glasses of wine before the fight with Polliver and the Tickler, I kind of doubt that is enough to get a heavy drinker like Sandor drunk.

Brienne loses 9 times out of 10 to Sandor in a sword fight but it's still believable that she won since Sandor had a festered wound and Brienne got hold of a rock and smashed his face in repeatedly with it

I disagree; Brienne is the more disciplined fighter, not to mention the Hound was fighting an infection at the time on the show. I think Brienne may very well be the greatest(non-magic enhanced) Warrior in Westeros right now.

Also I feel the need to point out that virtually any one-on-one fight can go either way. Brienne's more deliberate in her movement whereas Sandor has a more savage fighting style.

The Hound was explicitely wounded and slower than usual (plus probably malnourished from all the trekking in the Riverlands), Brienne had a Valyrian Steel sword, and it was a very close fight that Brienne basically won because she could get her hands on a rock. Let's not act like she trounced him.

Plus, Brienne IS close to being top tier. Loras is a very skilled fighter and she beat him fair and square, and in the books she fares very well in all her battles. It's very believable that she can closely match a wounded Sandor. It's not like this is World of Warcraft where, being level 85, she cannot possibly hurt him because he's level 90. The Hound is really good, but far from invincible.

Same could be said for when he faced Brienne, and he had two glasses of wine before the fight with Polliver and the Tickler, I kind of doubt that is enough to get a heavy drinker like Sandor drunk.

As far as I'm concerned Brienne never fought Sandor. If it's not in the books it didn't happen. There's a nice section where all the stuff that happened in the show can be talked about, but this isn't it.

I don't think it was two glasses of wine that Sandor drank. Two flagons, more likely. Do those rustic inns even have glasses?

As far as I'm concerned Brienne never fought Sandor. If it's not in the books it didn't happen. There's a nice section where all the stuff that happened in the show can be talked about, but this isn't it.

I don't think it was two glasses of wine that Sandor drank. Two flagons, more likely. Do those rustic inns even have glasses?

If it didn't happen, then why are you discussing it in this thread?

Anyway, it DID happen...in the show. And it was an awesome fight.

The show has played around with the relative fighting skill of characters since season 1. Ned, Jon, Bronn, Stannis, etc.

Basically, if you're a sympathetic character and a warrior, your cred gets jumped up a notch or four.

Brienne won because she was better prepared. The Hound was too stupid not to take care of that wound. When you live from fight to fight, you should consider that a festering gash might be a hinderance next time you're in trouble. Also, she seems to keep a cooler head in battle. It was a close fight, but Sandor is a berserker, while Brienne thinks before she leaps.

Not only that, but she's better equipped, with pristine new armor, a well-honed sword of the finest steel.

If the Hound was as good as you thought he was, he wouldn't have gotten bashed with a rock and knocked off a cliff.

i agree with what joncons redbread stated.
in the show bri wasnt fighting a fully capable hound arya even mentions that the so called flea bite as the hound calls it.
was slowing him down to a noticeable degree so i can agree with the out come of there fight.
but if both were in top form imo the hound would win hands down 9 out of 10 times.

its the same with her and jamies fight as she her self thinks gods help her if he'd been 100% i also agree with this also only i give even better odds to jamie i'll go jamie wins 11 out 10 times lol

Also when her and jaime fight he mentions her strength which is an asset because of how weak he is and being chained. But is she as strong as the hound? no way, i believe that was the only reason she survived the fighr with jaime. I know brute strength isnt everythibg but sandor has strength and skills so no way she should of had a chance

Archived