Wow, I never noticed that v. 6

"I trust you enjoyed the journey, Your Grace?"

Robert snorted. "Bogs and forests and fields, and scarcely a decent inn north of the Neck. I've never seen such a vast emptiness. Where are all your people?"

"Likely they were too shy to come out," Ned jested. He could feel the chill coming up the stairs, a cold breath from deep within the earth. "Kings are a rare sight in the north."

Robert snorted. "More likely they were hiding under the snow. Snow, Ned!"

Not sure if its been said before but... Obvious Jon foreshadowing is obvious

Or an angry Lyanna ghost from the crypts below?

No, meaning Dany's storyline is not synchronized with Winterfell's. The comet must have appeared the same day for the northern hemisphere of Planetos. For Dany's chapter in Lhazar, we know it's the first sighting at nightfall. In Bran's chapter, Luwin watches the comet in the morning sky. It could be the morning after Dany's night, or some days later.

Dany's storyline in Game indeed isn't sync with the others. It is very possible that her story begins in 297AC, since she travels many great distances in her chapters.

Whereas the other POVs (with the exception of the prologue, which certainly takes place in 297AC) all begin in 298AC, and end Game in early 299AC.

By the end of book one, Dany does sync up with all the others, though. The Red Comet shows that. It first becomes visible during the night's only.. later on, also during the day.

ACOK Tyrion I - Varys compliments chella on her many ears that she has as a necklace - that's because he also has "many ears".

Craster looks at Jon and says that when you bed a woman, you should marry her - that may be a hint that Jon is legitimate.

ACOK - Joff's fleet has "Silk Lady" and her sister - "Lady's shame". They are probably named after Tytos' mistress who was paraded naked by Tywin.

ASOS Dany I - she says that Jorah saved her from the wineseller, Arstan from the manticore and probably Belwas will be the next to save her. Then he really does in ADWD by eating the poisoned locusts.

ACOK Tyrion I - Varys compliments chella on her many ears that she has as a necklace - that's because he also has "many ears".

Craster looks at Jon and says that when you bed a woman, you should marry her - that may be a hint that Jon is legitimate.

ACOK - Joff's fleet has "Silk Lady" and her sister - "Lady's shame". They are probably named after Tytos' mistress who was paraded naked by Tywin.

ASOS Dany I - she says that Jorah saved her from the wineseller, Arstan from the manticore and probably Belwas will be the next to save her. Then he really does in ADWD by eating the poisoned locusts.

Either Tytos' mistress, or their names were inspired by the Street of Silk, where the whores work (and that work is a lady's shame).

Loving the second one ;)

I posted this in the foreshadowing thread...

Ser Jorah saved me from the poisoner, and Arstan Whitebeard from the manticore. Perhaps Strong Belwas will save me from the next.

Daenerys I, Storm

We all know that's a pretty obvious foreshadowing of Belwas saving Daenerys from the poisoned locusts. But I think there is a more subtle foreshadowing of Barristan saving Daenerys from Aegon.

As Daenerys enters Qarth, she passes under an arch of green, black, and blue snakes...

All the colors that had been missing from Vaes Tolorro had found their way to Qarth; buildings crowded about her fantastical as a fever dream in shades of rose, violet, and umber. She passed under a bronze arch fashioned in the likeness of two snakes mating, their scales delicate flakes of jade, obsidian, and lapis lazuli. Slim towers stood taller than any Dany had ever seen, and elaborate fountains filled every square, wrought in the shapes of griffins and dragons and manticores.

Daenerys II, Clash

Notice that she observes fountains wrought in the shapes of griffins and dragons and manticores. The griffin and dragon allusions are easy, of course, Jon Connington and Aegon. But the manticore allusion is much more elusive. In case you dont know, the manticore is a chimera, a fantastical beast comprised of the body parts of more than one animal or other mythical beast. The manticore most commonly consisted of a human head, a lions body, a bats wings, and a scorpions tail, but there were other variations. In ASOIAF, the manticore was much smaller, with a malign, black face and an arched, venomous tail, with the ability to fold itself into a scarab. In the real world, the manticore and chimeras were depicted in the art of the Romanesque and Renaissance periods to symbolize fraud. So, we have Jon Connington, Aegon, and fraud.

And consider the manticore that attacked Daenerys, disguised as...

a glittering green scarab, carved from onyx and emerald.

Daenerys V, Clash

Forget Lorch. The manticore is Aegon. And Aegon will betray Daenerys for love of Arianne.

three treasons will you know once for blood and once for gold and once for love

Daenerys IV, Clash

"Daenerys Targaryen may yet come home one day," Connington told the Halfmaester. "Aegon must be free to marry her."

Jon Connington II, Dance

But before Daenerys joins her kingly... um... "nephew," Arianne will have a chance to work her charms on young Aegon.

Notice that she observes fountains wrought in the shapes of griffins and dragons and manticores. The griffin and dragon allusions are easy, of course, Jon Connington and Aegon. But the manticore allusion is much more elusive. In case you dont know, the manticore is a chimera, a fantastical beast comprised of the body parts of more than one animal or other mythical beast. The manticore most commonly consisted of a human head, a lions body, a bats wings, and a scorpions tail, but there were other variations. In ASOIAF, the manticore was much smaller, with a malign, black face and an arched, venomous tail, with the ability to fold itself into a scarab. In the real world, the manticore and chimeras were depicted in the art of the Romanesque and Renaissance periods to symbolize fraud. So, we have Jon Connington, Aegon, and fraud.

I find it a bit strange that both griffins and dragons would refer to people, but manticores wouldn't, though.

At the same time, I can't think of a specific person that the manticore could refer to, though.

Either Tytos' mistress, or their names were inspired by the Street of Silk, where the whores work (and that work is a lady's shame).

Loving the second one ;)

Possible, but I don't see it being named after a street or part of the city, as ships are most commonly (in RL and ASOIAF, too) named after specific things or people - Robert's hammer, Sweet Cersei, Lord Tywin, Lady Marya, etc. I mean the ones that are not named "Windbreaker" and stuff.

I find it a bit strange that both griffins and dragons would refer to people, but manticores wouldn't, though.

At the same time, I can't think of a specific person that the manticore could refer to, though.

There is only really Amory Lorch with the manticore connection, and for obvious reasons that doesn't really work

Manticore is something that almost has a human face and the body of an arachnid, so it could be Varys, or a faceless man, or simply nothing. The Aegon connection seems a stretch to me, but I will give it another chance by reading it again ;)

Manticore is something that almost has a human face and the body of an arachnid, so it could be Varys, or a faceless man, or simply nothing. The Aegon connection seems a stretch to me, but I will give it another chance by reading it again ;)

If you accept that chimeras, especially manticores allude to Aegon you can use it to explain a few more things.

Were the Botherhood without Banners taking in orphans before unCat took over?

"Child," said the singer, "put up that sword, and we'll take you to a safe place and get some food in that belly. There are wolves in these parts, and lions, and worse things. No place for a little girl to be wandering alone."

Arya II, Storm

Craster knows that Snow is a bastard name. He calls Jon one almost immediately after learning his name. More likely it was just another jab at Jon.

Craster knows that Snow is a bastard name. He calls Jon one almost immediately after learning his name. More likely it was just another jab at Jon.

Of course that's what Craster says and that's why. What I am getting at is that Martin might be giving us a hint through Craster (who, in-universe, does not have the knowledge to give us any hint about Jon anyway).

Archived