Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain on FX

Maester Llama

I'm continually amazed by the number of characters on this show that react to seeing crazy vampire monsters rampaging through a city attacking people with extendable snake appendages without any urgency or surprise. Even the rat exterminator guy hasn't raised an alarm, only making a sketch and telling his parents. Eph's old partner just ran away from a nursing home being pillage by those things and just hid in her apartment. Eph's boss watched a video of a chained up vampire zombie and reacted by putting in motion the doctor's arrest.

Are things really that bad in New York to where such apocalyptic scenes are just brushed off? And am I spelling that Eph guy's name right?

I'm continually amazed by the number of characters on this show that react to seeing crazy vampire monsters rampaging through a city attacking people with extendable snake appendages without any urgency or surprise. Even the rat exterminator guy hasn't raised an alarm, only making a sketch and telling his parents. Eph's old partner just ran away from a nursing home being pillage by those things and just hid in her apartment. Eph's boss watched a video of a chained up vampire zombie and reacted by putting in motion the doctor's arrest.

Are things really that bad in New York to where such apocalyptic scenes are just brushed off? And am I spelling that Eph guy's name right?

I thought the same thing, then I remembered this is New York!

I can understand their reluctance to spread the word. How would you react if I told you about creatures living in the sewers of NYC that fed on rats? It sounds pretty bizarre.

Now, I am behind you 100% on the slow-reacting witnesses of the vampire monsters. WTH, people? I can guarantee you that if a vampire monster shows up in Southeastern, US, Redneck, USA, I am moving my butt QUICKLY away from it, and screaming bloody murder.

Well, **I** didn't see it coming! :dunce:

What the hell? How can your body be taken over, yet you retain your humanity? I don't get it.

OTOH, I'm happy to see that Vasiliy is going to be back on next week. :) We're finally getting a squad going here - and NOT of weirdo half-human/half-vampire hybrids.

What the hell? How can your body be taken over, yet you retain your humanity? I don't get it.

The German guy retained his humanity, what little he had of it in the first place. The fact that he can walk among humans and control his urges proves that.

That conversation between him and young Abraham was a powerful moment for this show, a bit above the rest of the show's level.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Episode 7 was the weakest so far, until the end which was a big save. Ninja vampire hunters who are also vampires? Things suddenly get interesting, a whole new back story to learn about.

Also what happened to Eph's oh so fascinating domestic drama? Doesn't he give a fuck about his kid? What with the bf being turned in the previous episode, you'd think he'd at least check in. Nah screw em.

This show sooooo needs a decent script writing team, a great concept being seriously let down by lazy phoned in dialogue, character development and plot holes you could drive a bus through.

The German guy retained his humanity, what little he had of it in the first place. The fact that he can walk among humans and control his urges proves that.

That conversation between him and young Abraham was a powerful moment for this show, a bit above the rest of the show's level.

That's true. Although, his humanity extends only so far as being able to control his urges. These new ones that showed up at the end "seemed," and I use that term advisedly, to be protecting the uninfected folks.

This episode struck me as somewhat "meh" until close to the end, when things got hot. Eph continues to kinda bore me, as does his girlfriend. Abraham appears to be headed for an early exit from the series if things keep up this way. His age and health don't bode well for him. He's going to have to pass his sword along to someone a bit spryer.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Episode 7 was the weakest so far, until the end which was a big save. Ninja vampire hunters who are also vampires? Things suddenly get interesting, a whole new back story to learn about.

Also what happened to Eph's oh so fascinating domestic drama? Doesn't he give a fuck about his kid? What with the bf being turned in the previous episode, you'd think he'd at least check in. Nah screw em.

:lol:

Since it's one of the few things on now that holds any interest for me, I'm glad of the renewal. But I agree that they could step it up. And what about some of the minor characters' acting? Those kids and the housekeeper and her daughter behind the barricade seemed like they were playing hide and seek, rather than hiding from monstrous beings that wanted to suck their life's blood. I watched it twice just to see if I was being too harsh on them. No. I wasn't. They must be somebody in the production team's family.

Favorite characters so far...

Vasiliy (a/k/a Rat catcher guy)

Abraham

Mexican guy (what the hell's his name?)

We need a good woman character. What's up with that, FX??

I wanted to like Sean Astin's character just for his sake, but so far he seems to just stand around looking confused.

:lol:

Since it's one of the few things on now that holds any interest for me, I'm glad of the renewal. But I agree that they could step it up. And what about some of the minor characters' acting? Those kids and the housekeeper and her daughter behind the barricade seemed like they were playing hide and seek, rather than hiding from monstrous beings that wanted to suck their life's blood. I watched it twice just to see if I was being too harsh on them. No. I wasn't. They must be somebody in the production team's family.

Favorite characters so far...

Vasiliy (a/k/a Rat catcher guy)

Abraham

Mexican guy (what the hell's his name?)

We need a good woman character. What's up with that, FX??

I wanted to like Sean Astin's character just for his sake, but so far he seems to just stand around looking confused.

You're right about the acting. I wondered why I didn't give the remotest fuck about the main character Eph. Partly because he's written as an annoying man child and partly because the actor playing seems to go out of his way to emphasize those particular annoying character traits. Abraham and Vasiliy are the only two white hats I care about, the main reason being the actors playing them can, well, act!

Biggest bug bears are of course the appalling plot holes, which abound and which not even a modicum of pretense is shown in an attempt to cover them up.

The script writers obviously couldn't give a crap/

Case in point, and something that had me literally cursing the TV. In episode 1 a MASSIVE deal was made about the survivors of the plane crash. Ze German telling the WASP how it was vital to their plot blah blah. And what happens? Um they turn out to be EXACTLY the same as the ones who died anyway. I mean wtf? God I could go on, hopefully for season 2 they'll employ some folk who have some semblance of interest in plot development.

Agreed on all of the above. As much as I love the creep factor, the plot holes and over the top acting sort of work my last nerve.

And is anyone else sort of over the whole Sam Gamgee/scared but saving wife character? Enough already. I find it very hard to believe that decent people would be dropping a known contagion into the river.

Agreed on all of the above. As much as I love the creep factor, the plot holes and over the top acting sort of work my last nerve.

And is anyone else sort of over the whole Sam Gamgee/scared but saving wife character? Enough already. I find it very hard to believe that decent people would be dropping a known contagion into the river.

They mucked that whole character arc up. He's DESPARATE to save his wife. He LUVS her SOOOooooo much that he's willing to do unsavory things with the unspeakable. But she gets pissed at him because he's hanging around "Eph" and believes his bullshit, and proceeds to stomp out on him, leaving him sighing - SIGHING - in the street, then he goes back into the house to play with Abe, Eph, and GF for a while. Oh, well.

Are we supposed to like this character and excuse him because he's only trying to save his wife (who apparently doesn't give a flying f**k about him)? The fact that Sean Astin is apparently as confused as the rest of us as to what his motivations are doesn't help matters any.

But no matter. The ending was pretty awesome (if you discount the fake fear on the kids' faces - and I'm not letting the housekeeper and her daughter off the hook either.)

I wasn't sure I liked the 10' frog tongues (or whatever Mexican Guy called them) at first, then I thought it upped the ante on the fear factor, but now I'm wondering if budget that could have gone to other things is being sucked up by those appendages. :dunno:

But was Samwise told to get rid of the body in a particular way, cue future unexpected contagion in the drinking water, OR were the script writers so careless and lazy that they just didn't give a thought to the potential of dropping a carcass full of vampire worms into the Hudson? Fuck me has no one heard of gasoline on that show? I mean in a previous episode they made a big deal of incinerating an infected victim, Abraham has said over and over how important it is to burn em, and he's done that himself after some vampire slaying. WTF? It's like walking dead level of not giving a crap!

But was Samwise told to get rid of the body in a particular way, cue future unexpected contagion in the drinking water, OR were the script writers so careless and lazy that they just didn't give a thought to the potential of dropping a carcass full of vampire worms into the Hudson? Fuck me has no one heard of gasoline on that show? I mean in a previous episode they made a big deal of incinerating an infected victim, Abraham has said over and over how important it is to burn em, and he's done that himself after some vampire slaying. WTF? It's like walking dead level of not giving a crap!

Yeah - I dunno. I had wondered that as well. They're supposed to be super contagious, so I just assumed that they had been told to dump the body there. I thought it was convoluted, but I was more irritated by Samwise Gamgee's seeming 'meh' about the whole thing.

Wasn't the whole dropping in water a thing? For example, the Master was contained in Setrakian's mind as long as he didn't cross the bridge. Someone had to carry him across. Same for the corpses the German's gophers dropped in the river.

I wasn't clear on why they dropped the corpse in the water. I don't think it had to do with the same mental telepathy properties as the Master - I thought that if it 'were' a thing, it was more about contaminating the water.

I wasn't clear on why they dropped the corpse in the water. I don't think it had to do with the same mental telepathy properties as the Master - I thought that if it 'were' a thing, it was more about contaminating the water.

Why would you try to contaminate the rivers with like three bodies full of tiny little worms though?

Looking it up it was mentioned in the reviews of the series

that it might be because vampires can't cross running water on their own, so they're having humans do it.

Archived