Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain on FX

Maester Llama

People are rushing to the good vamp squad like pilgrims to an oasis but honestly, I imagine that they'd be anti-climactic. What do they do? Kill shitty vampires that even a bunch of scientists and old men can kill! Hooray!

It's pretty damning that they're so exciting compared to um, the actual characters.

The other characters insured that Fet was the best by being so irrational that his previously just-logical behavior started to seem great by contrast.

Except his interaction with the dumb "I shut down the internet" character who tries to leave perfectly good shelter like a moron. Even for horror that's dumb. On that: there's no situation where a character can say "I brought down the internet" and not appear incredibly goofy, I don't care how many technical details they provide. Hollywood hasn't earned that.

The other characters insured that Fet was the best by being so irrational that his previously just-logical behavior started to seem great by contrast.

Except his interaction with the dumb "I shut down the internet" character who tries to leave perfectly good shelter like a moron. Even for horror that's dumb. On that: there's no situation where a character can say "I brought down the internet" and not appear incredibly goofy, I don't care how many technical details they provide. Hollywood hasn't earned that.

Yeah, it's funny how little respect IT and Compsci get in Hollywood. It's b/c people still have so little inkling of how the either works I suppose, though I do recall ER having all sorts of nonsense like trying to defibrillate someone in the rain so maybe Hollywood is bad all around.

Haha, that's true. Although I've read the books and I liked them there also.

Overall, I thought Fet was the best character. It looks like it's shaping up that way now. Although I don't recall him being a ladies man.

In the books he had a Brooklyn accent

Did you note how Kelly didn't go through the vampire change? No hair loss, no red eye (well not much). I mean she was pristine.

Yeah, it's funny how little respect IT and Compsci get in Hollywood. It's b/c people still have so little inkling of how the either works I suppose, though I do recall ER having all sorts of nonsense like trying to defibrillate someone in the rain so maybe Hollywood is bad all around.

The internet was designed to withstand a nuclear holocaust, what chance did it have against a hot lesbian hacker with a British accent?

I think that, unless someone makes a real effort, anything that requires any technical knowledge that they feel they can replace with "common sense" (and doesn't have convenient experts for legitimacy like stuff involving the military) gets the short end of the stick. Except when it comes to history, where I imagine they know and don't care.

Did you note how Kelly didn't go through the vampire change? No hair loss, no red eye (well not much). I mean she was pristine.

I assume you're responding to my post about the vamps that only get a few worms being smarter?

I assume that's part of it, though it might also be that it doesn't make sense to turn her and then bury her in make-up.

It's still early days though, and she didn't look much better than the friend she turned.

I think that, unless someone makes a real effort, anything that requires any technical knowledge that they feel they can replace with "common sense" (and doesn't have convenient experts for legitimacy like stuff involving the military) gets the short end of the stick. Except when it comes to history, where I imagine they know and don't care.

I assume you're responding to my post about the vamps that only get a few worms being smarter?

I assume that's part of it, though it might also be that it doesn't make sense to turn her and then bury her in make-up.

It's still early days though, and she didn't look much better than the friend she turned.

Yeah but they haven't explained why the Master has singled her out, from a TV show perspective it just looks madly inconsistent. Hold on a second, I'm expecting this show to be consistent??

Yeah but they haven't explained why the Master has singled her out, from a TV show perspective it just looks madly inconsistent. Hold on a second, I'm expecting this show to be consistent??

Eph is one of the few members of The Resistance. Eph's wife is a good psychological tool as well as someone that might be able to find him.

He has shown himself completely willing to single them out before. See the whole convenience store thing.

Eph is one of the few members of The Resistance. Eph's wife is a good psychological tool as well as someone that might be able to find him.

He has shown himself completely willing to single them out before. See the whole convenience store thing.

Hopefully, the show will go into it a little bit more. I don't want to spoil anything, but ...

They've established Eph as the top Epidemiologist and the vampirism is spread through infection, thus making him important in the fight against the vamps. It also makes him the Master's #1 target.

So we can deduce from that who will be used against Eph.

daskool,

Fet does get the girl at the end.

Eph is fucking boring. His wife is boring, his son is boring.

Was hoping his son got turned by his wife - that would've made things interesting.

Really need the Good!Vamp squad to come back.

Yes, the V-Squad need to make a return appearance.

But as for the bolded, NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!

I would love to see him turn into a badass like Carl in TWD. I know a lot of people still hate Carl, but I love that little kid. Although, I'm sure he's a big surly teenager by now. :(

I would love to see him turn into a badass like Carl in TWD. I know a lot of people still hate Carl, but I love that little kid. Although, I'm sure he's a big surly teenager by now. :(

Carl is going to come out of that railcar just like that. :P

That smarmy kid?

C was a badass from the womb, and Eph is no Rick Crimes. :)

No one hates Carl anymore, he's a mini terminator. I didn't get the hate in the first and second seasons anyway, he was a little kid with a terrible mom living through a zombie apocalypse.

As for Eph and Zach, it depends on how closely they follow the books I guess, and I'm really hoping they don't as the source material isn't of the same caliber as TWD comic books. Give it time then and wait for the vampire apocalypse to start to see how badass they get. The real downside is how poor the acting is, I'm really not sure if either of the actors playing the parts can do badass.

Tragically, Mr. ES jacked up the recording of this week's episode. So we have to wait 'till Sunday night to see it.

:(

Eph is fucking boring. His wife is boring, his son is boring.

Was hoping his son got turned by his wife - that would've made things interesting.

Really need the Good!Vamp squad to come back.

Ahhahahaha...yes, yes, yes. Am hoping that he's the kid who got eaten/turned because he and his mom bore the crap out of me. Am hoping Eph gets turned but am sure he would be a whiny butt even then.

People are rushing to the good vamp squad like pilgrims to an oasis but honestly, I imagine that they'd be anti-climactic. What do they do? Kill shitty vampires that even a bunch of scientists and old men can kill! Hooray!

It's pretty damning that they're so exciting compared to um, the actual characters.

Exactly.

Archived