Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain on FX

Maester Llama

I don't think I've ever so gleefully imagined a kid's death before. Not the actor, just the character. Was so hoping Kelly would drain him and infect him so that Eph or Fet could chop off his head. But damn Kelly has to be mother of the year and continues to be more deserving of full custody even as a vampire.

It's damn hard not to crack up when a group of vampires are introduced with such theatrical stage lighting.

It's damn hard not to crack up when a group of vampires are introduced with such theatrical stage lighting.

Yeah, that was pretty ridiculous. "These dehydrated meth heads in these cheap chairs are great and honorable beings...."

Also, I was hoping for a second that the "Master" was just a lieutenant of the true Master...but I guess they're going to keep Lord PuffnStuff* around.

*credit to ES for the name!

F Eph.

There. Someone had to say it.

Like Dr. Pepper, I also hoped both him and Zach would be turned.

Wait..did I miss something? The Secretary's second in command must have been shown to be corrupt before this right? Because nothing makes sense otherwise.

As for the Ancients:more silly costumes. For no real reason. Why is the Master such a badass compared to them?

They really should have just reused Del Toro's look from Blade 2, the stingers are already half-way there.

Also: if it wasn't for Martin and maybe Walking Dead, I'd say that we should just have adults play the kid roles on TV. It gets rid of them and forces the writers to carefully consider if we need them.

In principle, that's a good idea. Some of the greatest protagonists ever have had character flaws. That said, it just doesn't seem to work with Eph. Eph commits the single worst sin a main character can: he's not interesting at all. I don't know if it's because the actor can't portray what the writers are going for or if it's simply a case of a character being a deadly combination of douchey and boring, but when virtually every supporting character is more interesting than the main character, something's wrong. I audibly groan whenever he's on screen, and I know I'm not alone in this. In fact, it seems as if the vast majority of viewers feel this way. You're entitled to your opinion, it's just that I think you're being overly optimistic with the character. I mean, the season finale is in two days and it feels like he hasn't really progressed as a character at all.

I think it's the actor. He should be a complex mix of darkness and light. Ex alcoholic who cheated on his wife and a disinterested father but still trying to do the right thing despite himself, the actor instead plays him as an utterly bland void. I'd suggest they employ someone else for season 2 but we're likely stuck with him.

All up I really enjoyed the finale. Long ago (actually about 10 minutes into the first episode) I abandoned any idea that this was going to be a genuinely creepy horror franchise, instead I've luxuriated in the sheer ludicrousness of it all. The wonderful OTT dramatic lighting as Mr. Quinlan introduced the ancients capped it off for me.

Random thoughts:

I didn't like how the Ancients were depicted. I expected them to be big and robust. Kind of like big oak trees. (At least that's how I remember them being described in the book.)

All teens and children in shows and movies are annoying as fuck.

I like how the Mexican guy was talking shit even though he was strapped to a chair.

Why didn't Eph and Satrakian attack the Master while he was in pain in the sun? They just stared at him instead of finishing him off.

I agree about Eph's wig. It's just terrible.

If Eph, his kid, and Nora, would just be et by some vampires, I would be a happy camper.

The elder vampires were pretty ridiculous. Why were they coated in blood? And why were they on individual coat racks? Can they not stand? Why are they so ugly and gross? And if these are good vampires, with who's blood were they coated? And why is Palmer's assistant just now realizing what a crazy butthead he works for? Did he just now have that epiphany? That was so dumb.

Why is old dude (who I also really like) such a bad vampire killer? He sucks at his job and has had, like 70 years to practice and hone his skills. Epic fail. If he had only shut his mouth and struck, King Vampire would now be dead and we would not be dealing with a dangerous H.R. Pufnstuf on the loose in NYC. Why did the creators make Eph's wig stand on end all of the time? Can it not lay down, ever? And how can I get one of those sword cane thingeys? I really need that in my daily life.

These are questions I'll be pondering 'til next year.

Gus is by far my favorite character.

Yeah, he's about the most likeable character in the show, even Fet has become way too OTT to be that enjoyable (unlike in the earlier episodes). Walder Frey has been chewing up the scenery big time.

Random thoughts:

I didn't like how the Ancients were depicted. I expected them to be big and robust. Kind of like big oak trees. (At least that's how I remember them being described in the book.)

All teens and children in shows and movies are annoying as fuck.

I like how the Mexican guy was talking shit even though he was strapped to a chair.

Why didn't Eph and Satrakian attack the Master while he was in pain in the sun? They just stared at him instead of finishing him off.

I agree about Eph's wig. It's just terrible.

Mr. Quinlan explained that they were sleeping, and no they're definitely not the 'good guys'. Also Mr. Quinlan is shorter than my vision of him, though I do like how he's being played.

But yes we're all agreed that Eph is fucking terrible. The black hats in this show have way more charisma and frankly are far more likeable than the supposed main hero, is a problem to an extent but I'm enjoying rooting for the vampires and hoping that even the annoying kid, hold on especially the annoying kid, get bit.

I haven't watched Homeland; so he's double-dipping?

Just for one episode. His bald head made identifying him easier and he got killed. There was so much focus on his head at one point that it was hard not to consider they were making a joke of the wig on his other show.

Thanks for making me laugh coffee out my nose!

Good questions all.

Haha - I'm glad you enjoyed my thought process. It's crazy up in my head. :D

Just for one episode. spoiler removed

This made me snort so hard.

It was trashy fun. My main problem is that it didn't feel very apocalyptic. Was everyone turning or was it small scale? If it was small scale, where were the cops, If it was large scale it felt like a very low key apocalypse where no-one outside manhattan gave a shit. I think one of the working aspects of Walking Dead is that you beleive the characters are constantly under threat and trying to survive. The characters in the strain felt more like kids playing at surviving an apocalypse.

Gus' story could get interesting though. Vampire turf war sounds a lot more fun. I also liked the billionairre guy - I don't think he'll just play to the Master's tune and may have his own plans.

It's probably the worst FX show in terms of quality but still fun enough to watch. I guess American Horror Story should be credited as the worst as I don't watch it anymore but when it was good, it was better than this.

Archived