Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain on FX

Maester Llama

The master looks like something a contestant on Face Off made that got them kicked off the show. It is horrible. From the weird face that doesn't even look like it is complete to the grotesquely cartoonish fingers.

I'm not really sure what they were thinking with it.

It's so stupid. The vampire minions are way scarier than PuffnStuff Vampire from Saturday morning 70's tv.

His big, stupid paws just make me giggle. That's not the reaction the Strain people are looking for, I don't think.

I keep having this image in my mind of our Heroes breaking into the Master's lair and finding him sitting on the couch watching Monday Night Football, stuffing his face with potato chips and beer.

I keep having this image in my mind of our Heroes breaking into the Master's lair and finding him sitting on the couch watching Monday Night Football, stuffing his face with potato chips and beer.

Haha, yes. And calling in to vote on American Idol. :D

I must admit I'm quite fond of Dutch as well. Yeah, she's pretty, sure, but even beyond that, the last episode finally made her compelling to me.

Plus, in about five minutes of screen time, Dutch contributed more to the effort than Eph and Nora combined. I wasn't digging her until she showed up with the equipment and plan to tap into the emergency broadcast system. She, Fet and sometimes Abe make Eph and Nora completely irrelevant as the lead characters.

I too am hard pressed to think of a more suck worthy, douche chill inducing protagonist as Dr. Eph .... I know children with better critical thinking skills.... and worse yet, he is the kind of asshole that really needs a belt in the mouth

Does he ever. He's not charming, appealing, likeable, capable, stalwart, or any of the other descriptors that go with the hero of the story. He's just a wienerhead.

With those hands you mean comedically trying to eat chips while the laugh track thunders around him.

Plus, in about five minutes of screen time, Dutch contributed more to the effort than Eph and Nora combined. I wasn't digging her until she showed up with the equipment and plan to tap into the emergency broadcast system. She, Fet and sometimes Abe make Eph and Nora completely irrelevant as the lead characters.

I'm just thankful Nora's mom died. What's funny is they tried to suck pity out of us by afflicting her with dementia, but as a physically weak but still relatively sharp character she'd have been a lot more interesting.

I guess we had to see why Nora might have an affair with Eph? As an escape from the stress of work and private life? But even that doesn't really make sense. And more importantly, besides her hotness why would we give a damn about Nora's motivations for anything?

Actually, I am quite interested in Eph in the end. Sure he has a lot of downsides, but I find this interesting as a character. I feel he has a lot to learn and discover still and may evolve a lot throughout the show. There is room for that and it's a nice idea to start the show with the main character really flawed.

Actually, I am quite interested in Eph in the end. Sure he has a lot of downsides, but I find this interesting as a character. I feel he has a lot to learn and discover still and may evolve a lot throughout the show. There is room for that and it's a nice idea to start the show with the main character really flawed.

In principle, that's a good idea. Some of the greatest protagonists ever have had character flaws. That said, it just doesn't seem to work with Eph. Eph commits the single worst sin a main character can: he's not interesting at all. I don't know if it's because the actor can't portray what the writers are going for or if it's simply a case of a character being a deadly combination of douchey and boring, but when virtually every supporting character is more interesting than the main character, something's wrong. I audibly groan whenever he's on screen, and I know I'm not alone in this. In fact, it seems as if the vast majority of viewers feel this way. You're entitled to your opinion, it's just that I think you're being overly optimistic with the character. I mean, the season finale is in two days and it feels like he hasn't really progressed as a character at all.

Archived