Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain on FX

Maester Llama

The first episode just aired in the UK. Almost complete and total bollocks (the ATC tower dude goes out to personally touch a quarantined plane on the ground?) but redeemed by the sight of Sam Gamgee and Walder Frey teaming up and the scene where the vampire smashes his victim's head to pulp, which actually felt like it was directed by Del Toro rather than an assistant.

It's bad-good so far and watchably schlocky. Definitely far superior to the likes of Helix and Under the Dome, which were just crap-crap-crap. Probably on a par with the new Tomorrow People.

You know she's gonna bitch because their menthol.

:crying:

The whole thing with Nora's mother and Zach was annoying, and as far as I can tell its only purpose was to show that Augustine might join the crew soon.

But the tunnel crawl gave me the creeps. I would not be able to do that.

Big Daddy Monster Vampire looks like a puppet from Seals and Crofts, circa 1977.

Bad Parts:

I didn't see any Seals and Crofts puppets, but Big Daddy looked pretty poor. Looking at him, I could think of nothing but the makeup job - not something you want from the viewers when you're making a monster show. Whether Eph got turned was not even a matter for concern. Big Daddy looked scarier in the previous showing, so I don't know what happened to him here.

And the whole bit about leaving the kid alone with the addled mom did what was expected, I guess - make us all scream at the screen, "What the FUCK?"

Good parts:

The kid does show a tiny smidgeon of promise; albeit, he's no Carl :love: But I have to remind myself that Carl was annoying at first too.

The trip through the tunnel was definitely the scariest part. Having "Fet" (what the hell happened to his real name??) get stuck was funny/scary.

The Master exhibits signs of mind control. I can't recall his doing so before in the few times we've seen him. I know he calls out to those who've been turned, but Eph was, like, in thrall to him (even outside of hearing his ex-wife's voice.)

I think what made it worse is that they went through all the dialogue that was supposed to suggest that Fitzwilliam was a good guy at heart while also having shown all these scenes of him working his ass off to keep Palmer alive. The dude is procuring illegal organs, dealing with dialysis machines, coordinating doctors and sterile operating areas. And he was doing all this while listening to Palmer talk to his vampire buddy about setting up this vampire apocalypse. Even if he didn't believe the vampire thing, the fact that Palmer was using his money to severely destabilize the country in a way that made it clear to even the dumbest motherfucker that some sort of nasty apocalyptic-like event was going to occur. And yet this guy couldn't lift a finger to ensure some small 'natural' death occurred for an old man who is dealing with multiple organ failures. Whatever. The good guy dialogue just ended up making the guy look like a villain who likes to play with his food.

This show rapidly lost it's b-movie entertainment value. The child actor and all the plots surrounding him is like a big hole of suck. I don't think I've seen a kid act that bad even in a poptart commercial.

Yeah, I keep hoping Eph's kid gets eaten.

I was also a little nonplussed by Abraham's sudden mental collapse at the end of the episode. Yet another improbability. He's managed to patiently hunt this thing for 60+ years but goes wacky at the eleventh hour? I don't think so.

LOVED "Siggy the Sea Monster."

Haha...yep. They should have been standing next to the big thing that ate people. I was so let down by the makeup of the vampire. It was heinous.

He looked like a bat with a glandular issue.

Haha...yep. They should have been standing next to the big thing that ate people. I was so let down by the makeup of the vampire. It was heinous.

He looked like a bat with a glandular issue.

I know! :shocked:

Maybe they should have looked to the inspiration of Giger if they wanted to get away from from the Lestat/Twilight over-the-top beauty, but didn't necessarily want to go the route of total Nosferatu.

I mean, some of the imagry of Pan's Labyrinth was pretty creepy.

Yeah, I keep hoping Eph's kid gets eaten.

I was also a little nonplussed by Abraham's sudden mental collapse at the end of the episode. Yet another improbability. He's managed to patiently hunt this thing for 60+ years but goes wacky at the eleventh hour? I don't think so.

I don't think Abraham was going wacky at the end. I might be wrong, but I seem to remember him taking 'heart medicine' in one of the earlier episodes. Maybe he's got angina or something...

And yeah, that kid has to go. Why do TV writers constantly feel the need to populate their shows with extremely annoying family members? Nobody cares about these guys, so enough already.

Archived