Season 5 casting - v. 4 [Spoilers]

Arkash

This is so weird. Or Bran and all his gang will appear or any of them. Doesn't make sense we get only Bran and Bloodraven.

Hodor, Meera, and Jojen were hardly "onscreen" in the books after Bran arrived at the cave. The focus shifted to Bran and Bloodraven. If there isn't anything for a secondary character to do in a season, why justify bringing them back just to sit quietly in the background of a scene or two? Why spend screen time establishing that the secondary character isn't doing anything? Yeah, its kind of a shame to skip over Meera's grieving. I'd rather not have Bran warging Hodor to be creepy toward Meera, I think there are other less ick ways to show Bran's descent into darkness.

Another thought I had about Bran: they need some sort of climax for his arc, even if it's only 2 or 3 episodes. So, in ep. 10 he can have his very first vision from Book 1. Or at least the Heart of Winer part and have Bran all frightened and Bloodraven say something mysterious and conclude the scene. Or have the Hodor&Meerapaste.

He could mean him and Ellie Kendrick or he could have just assumed Bran wasn't in when he didn't receive s5 scripts.

Did he say explicitly he did not get a season 5 script?

It does seem odd if , seemingly, they don't tell actors wither they will be in a season of not.

I know before and during the making of season 4 Natalia Tena was asked about season 4 several times and she just said she had not gotten a casting call.

I don't know exactly what that means, have not see a recent interview with Natalia.

In her case case and most all the other professional actors have other films, stage work or music gigs to schedule.

I guess you can always call the producers , seems Eugene Simon has been wanting back since season 2, but seemed to have gotten no call.

They must let them know some way, cause it seems Kristian Nairn knew without getting a season 5 script, at least that's my impression

Hodor, Meera, and Jojen were hardly "onscreen" in the books after Bran arrived at the cave. The focus shifted to Bran and Bloodraven. If there isn't anything for a secondary character to do in a season, why justify bringing them back just to sit quietly in the background of a scene or two? Why spend screen time establishing that the secondary character isn't doing anything? Yeah, its kind of a shame to skip over Meera's grieving. I'd rather not have Bran warging Hodor to be creepy toward Meera, I think there are other less ick ways to show Bran's descent into darkness.

There was one chapter after they get to the cave. In that chapter, Bran wargs Hodor to explore and has a rather intense conversation with Meera. Yes, it's mostly just him and Bloodraven, but when you're essentially stretching one chapter for two or three episodes' worth of scenes the last thing you'd do is skimp over those moments. Especially when you know there are actors with jobs behind those characters, and you want to give them something to do to keep them close to the show. In any case, not showing Hodor and Meera at all seems really odd- it's something you'd expect D&D to follow up on rather than just forgetting about them for a season. I really do hope that they've filmed one or two scenes back in season 4 to save money (though I honestly doubt it).

Well, that Isaac interview confirms that Bran will at least have SOMETHING to do in s5 which is better than him having nothing to do. How the rest of the variables play out we just have to wait and see. I had expected some Hodor cave wanderings and the beginnings of Bran's Meera crush to play out in s5 but if those are excluded and he's included I'm sure they'll be able to come up with something for him to do that is interesting enough for the viewers to not forget him.

IMO as long as Bran is there, this news isn't a terribly big deal. Perhaps it is merely confirmation that the caves aren't actually all that interesting and don't contain any hidden treasures such as Dark Sister. Or if they do in the books - the show will reveal Dark Sister another way.

In the books, all Meera and Hodor do is explore caves and I can imagine that would be both difficult to film and reasonable to cut if nothing actually happens in the caves.

So we get Bran doing some training, having some kind of visions, and no cave exploration. I am fine with that.

Eugene Simon (Lancel) is going to be at Titancon, so if someone asks him we may get some news on whether he is returning or not. Not sure whether this would affect his return or not, but apparently he started filming Eden back in May. No idea whether that would mean he can or can't film for GoT or not.

ETA: I know that his being there isn't confirmation of anything btw, since Aimee Richardson is also going to be there, but he could be asked I guess.

In the books, all Meera and Hodor do is explore caves and I can imagine that would be both difficult to film and reasonable to cut if nothing actually happens in the caves.

George did leave Meera and Hodor hanging.

Only guess I have made about them is that Bran tells them to go find Rickon , that travel back to the wall 'over land' has gotten to be too dangerous but Leaf or some other of her kin know a 'cave-way' underneath the Wall.

Of course that kind of truncates Coldhands story.

GRRM has left Coldhands a totally mysterious entity , if he's gone for WoW , no wonder he's gone from the show.

It depends whether or not guest actors have some sort of contract. If they don't, or at least Kristian doesn't, then HBO wouldn't necessarily HAVE TO inform him of anything.

I can't see anyone working without a contract, I don't think the unions allow speaking parts without that.

I have a feeling he was told , maybe even after season 4.

I did find a very recent interview with Natalia Tena , and she does talk about GOT , but leaves it mysterious as to if she has gotten a cast call.

I do wonder about her since GRRM said he was going to write extra material for the character , I know it's a lot of locations to keep up with , but not appearing until season 6?

Art Parkinson will be 14 then, recent pics of him show him has much changed and seems to me taller.

He's gonna be in university before we see him again!

By the by since season 3 he's been in five movies , so has the acting chops now.

I can't see anyone working without a contract, I don't think the unions allow speaking parts without that.

I have a feeling he was told , maybe even after season 4.

I did find a very recent interview with Natalia Tena , and she does talk about GOT , but leaves it mysterious as to if she has gotten a cast call.

I do wonder about her since GRRM said he was going to write extra material for the character , I know it's a lot of locations to keep up with , but not appearing until season 6?

Art Parkinson will be 14 then, recent pics of him show him has much changed and seems to me taller.

He's gonna be in university before we see him again!

By the by since season 3 he's been in five movies , so has the acting chops now.

Thank god for that, otherwise he'd have likely gotten recast. Funny how he was an extra in season 1 and became an actor in season 3, now in movies and shit. Nina strikes gold every time.

The Three Eyed Raven is listed under three total episodes from 2014-2015 in IMDB. That's so specific that it has to be true, his agent probably put it in there. He had one episode in season 4, so three minus one equals two and there you go :)

No offense but you never EVER should trust IMDB, their cast lists are always shit :P

No offense but you never EVER should trust IMDB, their cast lists are always shit :P

Yeah I didn't look into it. Apparently he was listed under 402 for the vision scene and the season 5 listing is probably just fan speculation. I originally thought he was listed under two episodes in season 5, which would have been so specific that it could be true- but he's just listed under the premiere alongside Hodor which we already know isn't in season 5.

How about a game of episode names for season 5? We did it for 4, only a couple of guesses were even remotely accurate (Oathkeeper, the Mountain and the Viper and the Watchers on the Wall for me). Here we go:

EP1: The King Who Cared

EP2: No One

EP3: The Sorrows

EP4: The North Remembers (sadly taken by 201)

EP5: Queenmaker

EP6: The March

EP7: Mercy

EP8: The Leap

EP9: Fire and Ice/ Blood and Snow

EP10: Daggers in the Dark

How about a game of episode names for season 5? We did it for 4, only a couple of guesses were even remotely accurate (Oathkeeper, the Mountain and the Viper and the Watchers on the Wall for me). Here we go:

EP1: The King Who Cared

EP2: No One

EP3: The Sorrows

EP4: The North Remembers (sadly taken by 201)

EP5: Queenmaker

EP6: The March

EP7: Mercy

EP8: The Leap

EP9: Fire and Ice/ Blood and Snow

EP10: Daggers in the Dark

I'm hoping for "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" for the one in which Doran reveals his true colors.

Archived