Predict a bittersweet ending.

Fai

Just for some characters,

Jaime dies killing Cersei

Jon saves the realm by breaking every rule in the book, then takes the blame and is executed by the king/queen so that the Night's Watch will continue.

Arya witnesses Jon's execution after completing most of her list, shares a moment of eye contact and maybe a quick line ("Little sister").

Stannis dies a heroic death, after Davos persuades him to save the realm. Davos dies with him. :crying:

Aegon dies, Dany rules Westeros

Others are actually evil.

The WW will be pushed back beyond the Wall, but not destroyed. The Watch will still need to be kept, though Jon will have learned he is the rightful heir to the Iron throne he will forsake his birth right & remain as Lord Commander of the Nights Watch...... The King who served the Watch.

MoIaf

His short story "In the Lost Lands" is based on that theme.

Oh, I've never read it, thanks!

I'll have to give it a try. It's very typical of the human condition, we do it all the time, especially when we are kids. We fight and complain until we get something and then when we have it we don't want it because of one thing or another.

Jaime dies killing Cersei

Of natural causes?

I would put it "Jaime and Cersei kill each other." (Which is something I predicted before ever joining this forum, and one thing that has pleased me about the forum is how many people share that prediction. I thought it was just my idea. :rofl: ).

But Cersei ain't gonna just lay there and get killed. One thing you have to hand Cersei, she's a fighter.

Rickon Stark's story is essentially a shaggy dog story.

Arya Stark never goes back to being Arya Stark. She becomes a facelessman permanently. She assassinates the Hound (or Sansa), after Sansa and the Hound becomes close.

Brienne is forced to kill Jaime. In the Vale, Lady Stoneheart tries to kill Sansa 'Lannister' and Brienne kills Lady Stoneheart to protect Sansa and keep her oath. Sansa is raped by Littlefinger; Sansa bites off Littlefinger's little finger and kills him. Blackfish joins up with Sansa's group. Sansa's group joins up with the Snow Men.

Tyrion tries to ally with Danny, but Danny doesn't trust Tyrion because of Quaithe's prophecy or because of her irrational hatred of the usurpers. Quaithe is Joanna Lannister. Quaithe's prophecy comes true because Daenerys sees enemy in every shadow and turns potential allies to enemies [the prophecy would not come true if it didn't exist].

Either Danny tries to kill Tyrion and he escapes or Danny lets him go. If Danny does try to kill Tyrion, there will be a trial for Tyrion's kin slaying. Tyrion's 3rd trial will be the one where he pleads guilty for the first time. Tyrion will make another spectacular escape -maybe on Viserion's back-.

Then what is the point of Davos's jounrey to Skagos.

Arya Stark wouldn't kill her sister, and warging Nymeria allows her to retain her identity. Also, what is the point of hiding Needle if she isn't going to recover it and her identity?

Except Jaime is the valonqar, and he needs to be the one to kill Cersei. That would end Jaime and Brienne's relationship before it maturely develops. GRRM wouldn't have Sansa raped, but likely suffer a failed attempted rape. The BF can't get to the Vale as the mountain road is snowed in.

What is the point of Tyrion's journey to Dany and his development and honing of his skills if he doesn't join with Dany? Why would Dany want to put Tyrion on trial for something she has no knlowedge about and for killing the man who was responsible for the murder of her niece and nephew?

Tyrion then teams up with fAegon:

The Black Dragon - (f)Aegon Blackfyre

The Griffin - Jon Connington

The Manticore - Tyrion Lannister

Tyrion will fight on 'a griffin's back' against the falcon and win back what the Griffin King and his mountain clans once lost 6,000 years ago.

The northmen will make Jon the King in the North. Stannis will be betrayed and possibly killed by the northmen -they love him not nor his red god-. Melisandre will realize Jon is AA and also betrays Stannis.

Except how would Tyrion get to Westeros without Day? He has no gold to pay a ship to take him to Westeros, and no ships in Meereen's harbor to take him there. His opportunity to join fAegon passed when Jorah kidnapped him, and fAegon left Essos without Tyrion.

Except the Northmen are backing Stannis, and that would be a very risky move. How would anyone trust their word on anything after that? Stannis is not dumb enough to burn their weirwoods to piss them off. They also honorable men for the most part, and Stannis is giving them what they want: a Stark restoration and dealing with the Lannisters. Melisandre would also likely see a potential attack on Stannis. Jon also refused WF when offered it, why would he accept the offer to be KitN after that?

The Strangler will kill Cersei: Tyrion's plan.

Aegon Vs. Danny. Dance of the Dragon v2.0

Martell teams up with fAegon on the surface while secretly supporting Danny. Danny wins.

Tyrion dies or flees to Jon (King in the North).

Jaqen H'ghar kills Sam and takes his face when Sam shows the pig boy the horn that Ghost found. That horn is the horn of Joramun. The horn of winter is also a dragonhorn, only dragon fire can bring down the Wall.

Except that is too obvious, and GRRM never has the obvious presented answer for the prophecy be the correct one. The clues point more strongly to Jaime being the valonqar.

The Martells will likely join Aegon, but I doubt they will support Dany, especially since Arianne would likely be married to Aegon. They will fight Dany or what was the point of Quentyn's arc in Essos and die by dragonfire?

I doubt Jaqen even knows of the horn, and the Horn of Winter isn't a dragonhorn. How could a dragon bring down a leagues long 700-foot tall wall of ice?

Bloodraven is in cahoots with the Night's King, he uses Bran by having him warg a dragon and melt the Wall; then he tries to dispose of Bran. Hodor saves Bran and dies in the process.Bran is found by Benjen or Benjen is found by Bran. Benjen is a wight and kills Bran. Bran lives his second life in Summer and loses his greenseer powers.

The Wall falls. Sansa becomes the Night's Queen. Jon and Danny team up against the White Walkers. The wights are controlled by the white walkers. The white walkers are controlled by Bloodraven and the BR is controlled by the Night's King. The real BR is in Mormont's Raven, the BR in the cave with Bran is the Night's King warging BR's body.

Danny negotiates with the Night's King and comes to a peace treaty. Jon betrays Danny, kills her and breaks the peace treaty for his love of the realms of men.

Why would BR try to depose Bran if he had him brought to the cave safely? That theory doesn't make sense. Why would GRRM have Bran come north just to die before he awakens his greenseer abilities?

Except we are given no hints for either of those two scenarios. Why would Jon murder Dany? He is too honorable for that. Jon would by the one making the peace treaty in that scenario given he has more expertise than Dany at that, and he has the authority not Dany, given the rules make him the rightful Targaryen heir not Dany.

I think all the Lannister siblings will die along with Dany. I think the Others will be dealt with and Jon made king (over a ruined, indebted realm that will take at least a decade to rebuild). I think Davos, Brienne and all the remaining Starks will survive. I think Bran will survive, but there is chance his siblings won't know where he is. However, all the remaining POVs will have lost things dear to them. The Stark have lost their parents, Robb and childhood, Brienne will have lost her love Jaime and Davos will have lost his family and king. I think Brienne will have a natural child by Jaime who will redeem his father, and possibly serve in Jon's KG. I think Sansa will be the next Lady of Harrenhal, and Arya the next Lady of SE by virtue of marriage to legitimized Gendry Baratheon.

We learn that the place where whores go was.. Casterly Rock.

Count Bolton feeds the whole kingdom with Frey pies.

Sansa learns spells, Arya learns embroidery.

Jon meets his mother: Wylla... Blackfyre.

Nuncle Benjen returns, he took so long because he asked Quaithe for directions.

A legendary hero is born again: Lann the clever.

Lann tricks the Others out of the lands of always winter. King Puddles starts his own continent, with blackjack and hookers.

Davos sails into the sunset.

I always have felt that GrrM's 'bitter sweet' ending line is just a vauge answer to a diverse fanbase that all have different favorites. Compare this to Lord of the Rings, no one was cheering for Sauron and the orcs. Some people will be disappointed with how things turn out no matter what happens.

A tv critic described The wire's finale as bittersweet and his definition was:

Some bad people got better than they deserved, unpunished, some good people got worse than they deserved and others just got what they deserved. So, when I picture a bittersweet finale and imagine that scenario:

My predictions:

Bad people that will have a better ending than they deserve;

Varys( althought i don't considere him completly bad)

Melisandre(althought i don't considere her completly bad)

Margaery

Good people that will have a worse ending than they deserve:

Arya

Danny( if she doesn't goes nuts).

Bran( not being reunited with his siblings).

Stannis

Myrcella

Tommen

Jaime ( if he is the valonqar)

Theon

Brienne

Blackfish

Barristan

Jorah.

Asha

Mance Rayder

Val

Arianne

Just what they deserve:

Jon

Sansa

Rickon

Davos

Littlefinger

Cersei

The Bolton

The Frey

Tyrion

Theon

Brienne.

Lady Stoneheart.

Why does Varys deserve a bad ending? He is pretty much the most selfless person in the series. He plans will come to nought though.

Two bittersweet endings I am certain of -

(1) Tyrion will never find out what happened to Tysha.

(2) None of the other Starks will ever (physically) meet Bran again.

Very likely bittersweet endings

(1) One of the Stark kids will finally kill Lady Stoneheart

(2) Sansa will be 'evil' (I think she already is).

(3) Brienne will still be misunderstood

For those of us reading since the 90s and even those from the first decade of the 21st, the sweet part would be the final book is in our hands, the bitter part is that it is over.

Well said.

Oh, I've never read it, thanks!

I'll have to give it a try. It's very typical of the human condition, we do it all the time, especially when we are kids. We fight and complain until we get something and then when we have it we don't want it because of one thing or another.

The Iron Throne is one example. Lots of people desire it, but it did no good for Aerys, Robert, or Cersei.

Archived