Best Cold Opens in Television

l2 0 5 5

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A cold open in BB that I also loved was that song about Wendy. It never bothered trying to create tension, just a couple minutes' worth of ridiculousness. 'Everyone knows it's Wendyyy!'

Poor Windy. Everyone knows her name wrong, in the song AND the show.

Windy. As in blowing. As in trading blowjobs for drugs.

Poor Windy. Everyone knows her name wrong, in the song AND the show.

Windy. As in blowing. As in trading blowjobs for drugs.

Wait, could you be a little less subtle? Are you suggesting that a connection was made.between the meth using prostitute Wendy and the slang term windy as a euphemism for fellatio? The show totally didn't make any kind of overt blowing implication. I'm mean, if they did, Hank clearly would have had some cheesy joke about it. Sounds like a stretch to me.

• 2 weeks later...

For Breaking Bad, a few that come to mind that weren't mentioned are "Say my name", what Jesse actually did with the money that Walt gave him to buy an RV, and Hector Salamanca teaching his nephews the importance of family. Oh and who can forget the one of Badger getting busted? That one is golden!

For The Wire... well, there's always the classic final episode of Carceti reacting to finding out the truth about the "Homeless killer". I also remember the particularly chilling cold opening of Bubbles walking through Hamsterdam selling those white Ts at night time. I also like D'angelo explaining chess.

For Breaking Bad, a few that come to mind that weren't mentioned are "Say my name", what Jesse actually did with the money that Walt gave him to buy an RV, and Hector Salamanca teaching his nephews the importance of family. Oh and who can forget the one of Badger getting busted? That one is golden!

For The Wire... well, there's always the classic final episode of Carceti reacting to finding out the truth about the "Homeless killer". I also remember the particularly chilling cold opening of Bubbles walking through Hamsterdam selling those white Ts at night time. I also like D'angelo explaining chess.

D teaching chess is one of my favorite scenes in the whole show. It's a shame how he went.

I think D is probably my absolute favorite character in the show. Sad to see him go, but he was really in a situation where he had no way out. Just a testiment to the greatness of the show that D was only in 1.5 seasons but still feels just as nuanced and deep as all the characters who were in all 5 seasons.

Was 2 years since I saw The WIre now so maybe it's time for a rewatch soon. This and The Sopranos are really the two golden gooses of television. Always hard to say which one is the best, although I have Sopranos a smudge ahead.

I think D is probably my absolute favorite character in the show. Sad to see him go, but he was really in a situation where he had no way out. Just a testiment to the greatness of the show that D was only in 1.5 seasons but still feels just as nuanced and deep as all the characters who were in all 5 seasons.

Was 2 years since I saw The WIre now so maybe it's time for a rewatch soon. This and The Sopranos are really the two golden gooses of television. Always hard to say which one is the best, although I have Sopranos a smudge ahead.

Yeah those two shows are at the top for sure. Last time I watched The Wire was a couple years ago as well. Character driven shows = the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching The Shield s3 and was thinking that the shield has some great cold opens too. I can think of a few in s3 who definitely is on bb's level.

They may not be as poetic as the wires cold opens, but they are generally pretty shocking and sets the tone great for the episode to come

I've been watching The Shield s3 and was thinking that the shield has some great cold opens too. I can think of a few in s3 who definitely is on bb's level.

They may not be as poetic as the wires cold opens, but they are generally pretty shocking and sets the tone great for the episode to come

I've heard good stuff about that show. Gonna have to get my hands on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I changed the title of the thread to best cold opens in television; that way we can discuss any number of shows, not simply Breaking Bad.

One of the better cold opens from The Office (US) is when Jim impersonated Dwight. "Bears, beets, Battlestar Gallactica." :lol:

Another cold open that I really liked was The Walking Dead S04E014, The Grove. Instead of a complete scene, we get a short glimpse of a stove. The camera moves to a window, through which we see a girl running towards a walking corpse in slow-motion. End of the cold open.

This episode is also one of the best of the entire series.

Another cold open that I really liked was The Walking Dead S04E014, The Grove. Instead of a complete scene, we get a short glimpse of a stove. The camera moves to a window, through which we see a girl running towards a walking corpse in slow-motion. End of the cold open.

This episode is also one of the best of the entire series.

Is that the one with Lizzie and the flowers? If so, I agree. Great episode.

Archived