Unpopular opinion - Peter Dinklage is one of the worst actors in the series.

Arrogant Prince

I'm still liking Isaac. I think that the problem is Bran's adaptation: the character, in books, is only 10 years old. They can't go on pretending that the character is a child, this is ridiculous. They need to make him compatible with the age of the actor. Starting with that awful wig.

I agree. I have no problem with Isaac's performance apart from his wig.

I disagree that Peter Dinklage is one of the worst actors in the series, he is one of the finest and has played the role of Tyrion perfectly. But, I will say that there have been finer performances by some major characters, that haven't gotten the recognition they have deserved because of Dinklage. Namely Charles Dance in all seasons, Alfie Allen in season 2 and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in season 3. I'd also argue that Conleth Hill has been deserving of recognition for his portrayal of Varys, but hasn't had enough screen time to get it.

But, Dinklage did kill it in season one and four.

Funny thing is that Isaac looks younger when he's not in Bran costume. That wig adds him like 5 years.

I'd also argue that Conleth Hill has been deserving of recognition for his portrayal of Varys, but hasn't had enough screen time to get it.

Agree 100%. He is not exactly the Varys of the books but he has definitely captured the character in his own way and nailed him. Specially all of those moments when the camera isn't actually focussing on him.

Also if you are going to criticise accents, before you even get to the Lannister boys you have to wonder WTF happened to the Stark kids?

Dad (Yorkshire) and Mom (generic Southern English with a hint of Irish) led to:

Robb and Jon (ok not Cats but still raised in WF) do a northern sounding accent despite the actors being Scottish and Southern respectively.

Then the rest speak in the actor's natural accent, so you get,

Sansa, Well spoken, posh southern English accent

Arya, sounds like she is from Bristol or somewhere? Mid westish with a definite twang.

Bran, similar southern accent to Sansa

Rickon, can't really remember, but don't recall any obvious accent.

I mean you can try and explain some of this by Sansa was taught to enunciate by the Septa, Arya hung around with the small-folk etc but still its more than stretching the bounds of being believable.

Well said. Lack of attention to detail like this is one of the flaws of the show. They should agree on one accent and stick to it.

As for the comments about Isaac, I don't think he's terrible but I do think it's an example of a child actor losing his spark and spontaneity as he enters his teenage years due to becoming more self conscious.

I think it's really unfortunate how many people on this forum aren't capable of accepting the fact that we all have different opinions of the actors and whether they are convincing in their respective roles. Just because one person doesn't buy someone's performance, while most do, it doesn't make him or her wrong, crazy, stupid, or a troll. These forums would be much more enjoyable if people showed a little bit more respect and maturity.

Thank you. It's not the first time I've seen someone being called a "troll" or being personally mistreated for having an unpopular opinion in this forum. Actually, that's the reason why I'm not vocal about some of my opinions, such as "Arya is totally useless", "Jon is an overrated character" or "Theon isn't redeemed".

Anyway, I kind of agree with the OP on Dinklage's acting. He's not good, really. His speech was overacted, his acting when Oberyn died was horrible, his crying when killing Shae was forced... Bad, bad acting. And I don't care if everyone disagrees.

They're clearly blinded by Tyrion's awesomeness and charisma(the only traits of the character in which he delivers an above average acting) to see how Dinklage acts in the hardest bits.

It doesn't matter how bad he does.

Perfect enunciation isn't a priority when you're furious and distraught. Notice how most people revert to their mother tongue/accent when they're pissed?

I don't know, I never had a problem with Tyrion's 'strange' accent. It's a fictional world so comparing it to real accents is pointless, and Dinklage is so good in the part that I never really paid much attention to it.

1) NCW is from Denmark. He's not even a native English speaker. And I can assure you, his native accent doesn't slip through all the time.

2) I'd say his British accent in nearly perfect. Far better than Dinklage's, that's for sure. Throughout season 3 he sounded perfect.

Also, I'd like to say that last Emmys were a joke. Nominating Emilia Clarke (who gave a good season, nothing outstanding) and not Nikolaj (who did the best acting in the entire series if you ask me) was insulting.

Maybe I don't remember season 3 but season 4 he definitely sounded danish most of the time. Sometimes he even sounded American. I know he's not a native English speaker and that's why it's easy to tell. Yeah of course he's better than Dinklage, but you can still tell he's faking it.

Maybe I don't remember season 3 but season 4 he definitely sounded danish most of the time. Sometimes he even sounded American. I know he's not a native English speaker and that's why it's easy to tell. Yeah of course he's better than Dinklage, but you can still tell he's faking it.

I don't think he sounded Danish this season. In fact, there's no such thing as "sounding Danish". Accents differ.

Although I'll give you he sounded American a few times.

For me neither is on the level of McShane in Deadwood but I too hoped for Matt, Cranston already won for Walter, I kinda dislike when people win so much stuff for so many years for one performance (Baldwin - 30 Rock and Parker for Sex and the City, I think they won SAG or GG 6 or 7 times). Rust Cohle is Matt's best work, he was just amazing.

Agreed. If you guys are talking about top characters on TV Al Swearengen needs to be in the conversation. McShane was so good on Deadwood.

Also the Emmys are irrelevant when Keri Russel, Mathew Rhys, and Tatiana Maslany were ignored

• 4 weeks later...

Archived