Unpopular opinion - Peter Dinklage is one of the worst actors in the series.

Arrogant Prince

PD mostly does a pretty good job as most have said, better in the quieter more reflective character moments than when he has to dial it up a notch (Eg, the trial).

Admittedly his "English" accent is pretty terrible, but not so bad that it distracts from the scene.

Also if you are going to criticise accents, before you even get to the Lannister boys you have to wonder WTF happened to the Stark kids?

Dad (Yorkshire) and Mom (generic Southern English with a hint of Irish) led to:

Robb and Jon (ok not Cats but still raised in WF) do a northern sounding accent despite the actors being Scottish and Southern respectively.

Then the rest speak in the actor's natural accent, so you get,

Sansa, Well spoken, posh southern English accent

Arya, sounds like she is from Bristol or somewhere? Mid westish with a definite twang.

Bran, similar southern accent to Sansa

Rickon, can't really remember, but don't recall any obvious accent.

I mean you can try and explain some of this by Sansa was taught to enunciate by the Septa, Arya hung around with the small-folk etc but still its more than stretching the bounds of being believable.

A question from a non-English native...Does Michelle sound English as Catelyn? I've always thought she sounds Irish...

She sounds a bit Irish to me, especially when she says Arya and Sansa's names.

He certainly had some moments with Shae where I cringed a lot when he gave his delivery. Particularly when he was emotional. Overall I think he's good, but I can see what you're saying and won't bash you for feeling that way.

People have mentioned his trial at KL scene, and how it wasn't exactly what they were expecting, or the best, and I'd have to agree. I found myself feeling uncomfortable when he was going at the crowd. I don't know, just the way he voiced it didn't have me fully invested.

To be fair, I think Jack Gleeson's delivery at the wedding was dreadful. The coughing bit in particular was bad.

She sounds a bit Irish to me, especially when she says Arya and Sansa's names.

She never sounded English for me...there is this scene in season 1, when she hits Jaime with a rock, the famous "There are no men like me. Only me". I think she's pretty Irish there.

Maybe I'm wrong. As I said, English isn't my first language.

For me, Tyrion is better in the quieter moments. I did like his interaction with Oberyn in the cell, and I do believe I am one of the very few who liked the 'crunching beetles' discussion. Sometimes, Dinklage can be showy and it comes through just a wee bit and makes Tyrion sound a bit ...self-involved. Not exactly the word I am seeking, but I know that book Tyrion never made me think he was privileged. BUT Dinklage is nowhere near one of the worst actors on the show.

Peter is a wonderful actor, please don't go over board with comparisons. I do have to agree with most in this thread. This is a trolling 100%. :rolleyes:

If having an opinion is trolling then this forum is pointless.

His accent is does feel really forced most of the time but the acting itself is brilliant. Some might say he overracts but I've never seen a problem with this, hence my love for David Tennant. There are plenty of actors/actresses in the show which do brilliantly subtle acting that don't get lauded anywhere near as much as Dinklage. Roose's actor for one, and Allen's performance as Reek (his Theon was very meh), and all round Dillane.

Charles Dance>All though.

I wasn't talking about your comparison about the acting I was talking about the title of this thread. It was created just to get a negative reaction from the board ( I called that trolling)

Peter has been the only person to get an award for his acting and has been nominated every year the show has been on. The man can act, that is a fact ( I just wouldn't put him up there with DDL or RD, just yet). I do have to agree though on the accent, it does come and go and at times does feel forced. However, that still doesn't take away from his acting. That is Spot on.

A question from a non-English native...Does Michelle sound English as Catelyn? I've always thought she sounds Irish...

I'm Irish but I didn't cop the actual actress was Irish until I read it a while later. I couldn't remember seeing her in anything before GoT, unlike say people like Liam Cunningham and Ian McElhinney.

Nobody's accent is perfect on the show, if only because of the inconsistencies, we have. (Different people of the North having different accents, etc.) Peter is doing "Theater Standard" rather than trying to sound regional, which is perfect for the character when you think about it.

Argh, I hate when theather actors use the local version of "theater standard" on TV or movies. It doesn't sound right, it sounds very forced and overdramatic. I suppose now I get why many people think Peter's accent sounds dreadful.

Archived