Unpopular opinion - Peter Dinklage is one of the worst actors in the series.

Arrogant Prince

Actually I think it's Peter Dinklage's performance is one of the things that makes the show viewers love him so much. I'm not a fan of the character, and I think he's extremely over-rated, but I don't agree that Peter is a bad actor. I think he's as good an actor as the rest of them. Then again, I also don't agree with people whenever they say Emilia is a bad actress. I think she gives a great performance as Daenerys, just as Peter does Tyrion.

I also think Emilia does a really good job.

Funny enough, the trial is one of the Unsullied's favourite things that Peter/Tyrion ever did on the show...if Twitter is to be trusted.

If acting is making you feel something about the character and believing motivations in the moment, I think PD is one of the best actors on the show. Maybe his accent isn't perfect but with all the Welsh and Scottish, etc. accents running rampant in each family, I'm pretty numb to it.

He's a great actor, though I oddly didn't like his trial monologue; it seemed a touch too over the top. But go and rewatch his conversation with Oberyn in the dungeons, and his face after Oberyn gets killed. I don't see how you could watch those moments and think he's a poor actor (let alone "one of the worst"). Also, his accent is at least consistent; it may not be traditional, but it doesn't bother me any more than Conleth Hill's.

Peter's accent can be forgiven if we try to imagine it being Westeroi and not English, in my opinion.

There's probably something in that Lannister blood that produces sons with terrible accents. Nikolaj's accent is pretty bad as well.

His American accent is present most of the time. And Sj4iy is right, he over-punctuates sometimes. The one American I've seen who can speak in a perfect British accent is Felix (Canadian I think) in Orphan Black.

It wouldn't be jarring otherwise. It's just that the rest of the people have distinctly British accents. Even though we can hear Tywin and his brood sound different from Ned and others, Peter is the one that's really "out there." Ever since it's been pointed out I've started noticing Littlefinger's accent.

So why does Nikolaj get a free pass? He lets his native accent slip through all the time. In fact he doesn't even sound british most of the time.

I think we can all agree that the Emmys are just pandering garbage. It's a joke that Dinklage keeps getting nominated when people like Charles Dance or Jack Gleeson get systematically ignored.

Jack Gleeson never submitted for consideration, I don't believe (and his character is really too one-dimensional, anyway). Dance only submitted this year.

I think we can all agree that the Emmys are just pandering garbage. It's a joke that Dinklage keeps getting nominated when people like Charles Dance or Jack Gleeson get systematically ignored.

But it's quite a leap to go from there to "Dinklage sucks, omg!"

Emmys for Outstanding Supporting Actor in Drama are always tough, (although this year is the toughest I've ever seen for the main Actor)...this same year, you have an extraordinary Aaron Paul in his final season for BB, Peter Dinklage's best season by far, Jon Voight, Mandy Patinkin, Josh Charles and Jim Carter.

And also, you all have to keep in mind that, technically, the Emmys reward acting in ONE SINGLE EPISODE. Not for the entire season.

That's, of course, oficially.

There's probably something in that Lannister blood that produces sons with terrible accents. Nikolaj's accent is pretty bad as well.

So why does Nikolaj get a free pass? He lets his native accent slip through all the time. In fact he doesn't even sound british most of the time.

1) NCW is from Denmark. He's not even a native English speaker. And I can assure you, his native accent doesn't slip through all the time.

2) I'd say his British accent in nearly perfect. Far better than Dinklage's, that's for sure. Throughout season 3 he sounded perfect.

Also, I'd like to say that last Emmys were a joke. Nominating Emilia Clarke (who gave a good season, nothing outstanding) and not Nikolaj (who did the best acting in the entire series if you ask me) was insulting.

From my side and mine alone I can say it's because I like Jaime and I think Tyrion is overrated. Bias I suppose, we justify the actions of those we love. Also, Nikolaj is underrated. He's given a phenomenal performance season after season without any recognition to really speak of, while Tyrion/Peter is often applauded even when mediocre. I think that's where some of the OP's stance is rooted...Peter's praise may seem misplaced from the perspective of someone who is especially aware of his flaws.

I don't agree with that at all. His British accent is very good, it's rare when I notice something amiss. Dinklage doesn't truly sound British at all. I'm not knocking him for it, though, because this is a fantasy world.

I don't agree with that at all. His British accent is very good, it's rare when I notice something amiss. Dinklage doesn't truly sound British at all. I'm not knocking him for it, though, because this is a fantasy world.

I also think Nikolaj's accent is pretty good. But then I thought it could be because I like him. Same thing happened with Litllefinger, for the longest time I had no idea what people were talking about.

I don't tihnk PD's accent is THAT bad. But maybe because I'm not a native speaker. I find Renee Zelwhatever's fake british accent for Bridget Jones annoying, for instance.

He's a great actor, though I oddly didn't like his trial monologue; it seemed a touch too over the top. But go and rewatch his conversation with Oberyn in the dungeons, and his face after Oberyn gets killed. I don't see how you could watch those moments and think he's a poor actor (let alone "one of the worst"). Also, his accent is at least consistent; it may not be traditional, but it doesn't bother me any more than Conleth Hill's.

Agree. And Hill's accent is "fake Varysh" :P

Also, I'd like to say that last Emmys were a joke. Nominating Emilia Clarke (who gave a good season, nothing outstanding) and not Nikolaj (who did the best acting in the entire series if you ask me) was insulting.

That's an extremely good point. Nikolaj has never really gotten his fair share of praise, at least not from what I've seen. He's like a sleeping giant. He's been consistently good, imo, and this last season was amazing.

I think it's really unfortunate how many people on this forum aren't capable of accepting the fact that we all have different opinions of the actors and whether they are convincing in their respective roles. Just because one person doesn't buy someone's performance, while most do, it doesn't make him or her wrong, crazy, stupid, or a troll. These forums would be much more enjoyable if people showed a little bit more respect and maturity.

Now that I've said that, I do like Peter Dinklage for the most part, but I do think his performance is flawed. He's terrific in the lighter moments but loses me at times, most notably his monologue at the trial. However, that definitely doesn't make him the worst actor in the series.

*slow clap*

I have to say i don't agree with the main argument of this thread. If it doesn't work for the person who made the thread I feel sad that they don't enjoy it but I do and so I will say that there were 2 moments last season that were award-worthy acting on his part.

I've only started reading the books since season 4 ended and so some of the feelings I had beforehand have now been justified.

I hated Jaime for what he did to Bran and that never stopped until season 4. A few episodes in I was thinking how I really don't want to like him but it just crept up on me. Then I read the books and I can see how Nikolaj has done such a terrific job.

Rory gets to me too. I always sense deep feelings underlying everything he says and does which is what I get in the books. A very emotional Hound who tries not to show it.

The only one I don't care for is Danerys. I'm basing this on how a character makes me feel and I cannot connect emotionally to her.

I love Tyrion. He makes me laugh and I root for him.

Jack as Joffrey makes me hate him so much. But I guess that's the point so he's done an amazing job.

I loved Michelle as Cat too. She came across as very strong like in the books.

Two thoughts - while Peter does not have the best accent he is an excellent actor and probably the only accomplished dwarf in the industry.

Nikolaj has been very good but when he actually had the stage for a long period of time (the tub scene with Brienne) he was not very good.

Archived