Wow, I never noticed that v. 7

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Arya VI, Storm

The Brotherhood without Banners was fighting Roose's (i.e., Robb's) men before they knew of Roose's intention to betray Robb.

Yeah, they never claimed to be supporting the Starks, the Tullys, the Lannisters or whatever. They were always supposedly helping the smallfolk, amd killed wolves and lions (and trout I guess :p) where needed

I always thought that Tywin had always been "on scene" only when Tyrion was the chapter's POV, but after a reread I realised that there a single occasion when this doesn't happen, namely Asos - Jaime VII.

After rereading the chapter I noticed some little touches that made me appreciate GRRM's work once more:

1 Tywin's greeting is the same.

2 Different degrees of perception:

Tyrion is incredibly perceptive of his father's emotions, we see it whenever they meet each other.

He always manages to know (or at least to think he knows) what's going on.

Examples: the quoted paragraph from point 1, or when Joffrey throws a tantrum during the small council meeting.

Instead, under Jaime's POV, we only get to see Tywin's external reactions without a single comment or consideration by Jaime.

The Kingslayer is either unreceptive or simply he doesn't really care.

3 Be it with Tyrion or with Jaime, these two sentences are always a classic:

4 Not even Jaime is immune to Tywin's gaze.

5 As a general tendency, Jaime frequently interrupts his father when he talks, which is unusual with Tywin.

6 My personal favourite:

If it wasn't already obvious that Jaime is Tywin's favourite son, here's a little touch.

The amount of details GRRM puts on the interaction between the three Lannisters siblings and their father is astounding.

Possibly one of my favourite things in the whole series.

Nice catches.

"Did you see the boy attack Prince Joffrey?" Lord Beric Dondarrion asked the Hound.

"I heard it from the royal lips. It's not my place to question princes." Clegane jerked his hands toward Arya. "This one's own sister told the same tale when she stood before your precious Robert."

"Sansa's just a liar," Arya said, furious at her sister all over again. "It wasn't like she said. It wasn't."

Arya VI, Storm

Sandor was not present when Sansa stood before Robert. He was cutting down Mycah. And Sansa did not confirm Joffrey's account. She denied witnessing the incident...

His eldest daughter stepped forward hesitantly. She was dressed in blue velvets trimmed with white, a silver chain around her neck. Her thick auburn hair had been brushed until it shone. She blinked at her sister, then at the young prince. "I don't know," she said tearfully, looking as though she wanted to bolt. "I don't remember. Everything happened so fast, I didn't see . . . "

Eddard III, Game

The ranger studied his hands as if he had never noticed them before. “Once the heart has

ceased to beat, a man’s blood runs down into his extremities, where it thickens and congeals.” His voice

rattled in his throat, as thin and gaunt as he was. “His hands and feet swell up and turn as black as

pudding. The rest of him becomes as white as milk.”

Meera Reed rose, her frog spear in her hand, a chunk of smoking meat still impaled upon its

tines. “Show us your face.”

The ranger made no move to obey.

“He’s dead.” Bran could taste the bile in his throat. “Meera, he’s some dead thing. The monsters

cannot pass so long as the Wall stands and the men of the Night’s Watch stay true, that’s what Old Nan

used to say. He came to meet us at the Wall, but he could not pass. He sent Sam instead, with that

wildling girl.”

Meera’s gloved hand tightened around the shaft of her frog spear. “Who sent you? Who is this

three-eyed crow?”

“A friend. Dreamer, wizard, call him what you will. The last green-seer.” The longhall’s wooden

door banged open. Outside, the night wind howled, bleak and black. The trees were full of ravens,

screaming. Cold-hands did not move.

“A monster,” Bran said.

The ranger looked at Bran as if the rest of them did not exist. “Your monster, Brandon Stark.”

ADwD Bran 1

He ran three fingers lightly down the table, over the layers of smooth hard varnish, dark with age. "I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. For such crimes there must be justice. Starting with Cersei and her abominations. But only starting. I mean to scour that court clean. As Robert should have done, after the Trident. Ser Barristan once told me that the rot in King Aerys's reign began with Varys. The eunuch should never have been pardoned. No more than the Kingslayer. At the least, Robert should have stripped the white cloak from Jaime and sent him to the Wall, as Lord Stark urged. He listened to Jon Arryn instead. I was still at Storm's End, under siege and unconsulted."

Davos IV, Storm

Petyr, not Cersei, was behind the murders of Jon Arryn and the Ned.

"Clean hands, Sansa. Whatever you do, make certain your hands are clean."

Sansa VI, Storm

ETA: And as to that bit just after the bolded lines, in Clash Varys ecplains that he's dead set against Stannis because Stannis has aligned himself with dark powers. But here we get a much simpler explanation.

When Hoster gave Lysa the moon tea with too much tansy, he most likely caused her future problems with pregnancies (if not completely, then in most part).

Lysa often visited Riverrun during her pregnancies..

To me, it would seem that Hoster wanted to stand by her side during those times because he feels guilty.

I don't think I understand clearly all those Harrenhal switch side/Whent things in Clash and Storm.

Harrenhal is taken from Shella Whent by Tywin Lannister, and thus Harrenhal at the start of the war, is in Lannister Hands.

The castle, during the war, changes hands multiple times, so at some times, it is in Lannister hands, at other times, it is in Stark hands. Sometimes, this occurs by a violent take-over, sometimes it occurs because the people holding the castle decide to change sides.

I don't think I understand clearly all those Harrenhal switch side/Whent things in Clash and Storm.

At the start of the War of the Five Kings, Harrenhal was held by Lady Sheila Whent. She could not hold it and apparently surrendered it to Tywin without a fight. According to Petyr she is dead now. When Tywin marched West to meet Robb, he left Amory Lorch as Castellan of Harrenhal and left the Bloody Mummers with him. The Bloody Mummers then struck a deal with Roose Bolton - they would get the Northern forces inside Harrenhal by pretending to take them as prisoners, and then butcher Amory Lorch's men and give the castle to Roose. Thus, Harrenhal passes to the Boltons who hold it in Robbs name. Shortly after this, Roose leaves Harrenhal and gives it over to Vargo Hoat and the Bloody Mummers. Tywin later sends Gregor to Harrenhal to defeat the Bloody Mummers and reclaim the castle. In a Feast for Crows, Jaime is sent by Cersei to sort out Harrenhal, and he places Ser Bonnifer Hasty as the Castellan.

Throughout this time, first Janos Slynt, and later Petyr Baelish, are the Lords of.Harrenhal according to the Lannister regime. Bonnifer Hasty currently is the Castellan of the Castle, Littlefinger the Lord.

ETA: I hope I addressed that clearly and didn:t miss anything.out

It's funny because Joffrey calls Lady Whent to swear fealty or forfeit her lands and titles. Then like a minute later:

“It is also the wish of His Grace that his loyal servant, Janos Slynt, Commander of the City Watch of King’s Landing, be at once raised to the rank of lord and granted the ancient seat of Harrenhal with all its attendant lands and incomes, and that his sons and grandsons shall hold these honors after him until the end of time.

I always thought that Tywin had always been "on scene" only when Tyrion was the chapter's POV, but after a reread I realised that there a single occasion when this doesn't happen, namely Asos - Jaime VII.

After rereading the chapter I noticed some little touches that made me appreciate GRRM's work once more:

1 Tywin's greeting is the same.

2 Different degrees of perception:

Tyrion is incredibly perceptive of his father's emotions, we see it whenever they meet each other.

He always manages to know (or at least to think he knows) what's going on.

Examples: the quoted paragraph from point 1, or when Joffrey throws a tantrum during the small council meeting.

Instead, under Jaime's POV, we only get to see Tywin's external reactions without a single comment or consideration by Jaime.

The Kingslayer is either unreceptive or simply he doesn't really care.

3 Be it with Tyrion or with Jaime, these two sentences are always a classic:

4 Not even Jaime is immune to Tywin's gaze.

5 As a general tendency, Jaime frequently interrupts his father when he talks, which is unusual with Tywin.

6 My personal favourite:

If it wasn't already obvious that Jaime is Tywin's favourite son, here's a little touch.

The amount of details GRRM puts on the interaction between the three Lannisters siblings and their father is astounding.

Possibly one of my favourite things in the whole series.

What a great observation...!

Archived