Archipelacon - GRRM is GoH

Maltaran

I'm there on Tuesday but again, it's quite late. That doesn't mean I will go straight to bed, though! Either way, I'm looking to see the city on Wednesday and then take the con ferry on Thursday. PM if you want my mobile number or email address.

I know a few of use are going to be in Stockholm beforehand on the Monday and Tuesday (and Wednesday in some cases, although I'll be on the ferry then). I was wondering whether we wanted to arrange a time/place for meeting up?

Yes this. We totally need to do this. I'm arriving on Monday afternoon, taking the con ferry on Thursday so I'll be around throughout. I think I've got most people's phone numbers and will send a PM to those that I don't. Anyone who has my number is welcome to text and find out where we are when you arrive.

The general plan as it stands - or at least my general plan anyway:

Monday - somehow find people and arrange dinner somewhere (yes that's a really vague plan)

Tuesday - visit some museums in morning and afternoon, I'm suggesting the Vasa Museum for late afternoon when more people are around. The Brewdog Bar has been suggested as a place to meet Tuesday evening. Although there is also George's event at the bookshop which is being streamed to other places if anyone wants to see that.

Wednesday - Drotningholm Palace in the morning and early afternoon, then back to the city for late afternoon and meet up with everyone for dinner somewhere

Thursday - con ferry

I've also got a couple of days in Stockholm after Archipelacon but we can sort out some plans for that with anyone who might be around at the con.

I'm arriving quite late Tuesday, so i'll probably just go straight to bed!

I wouldn't mind meeting anyone Wednesday morning if anyone is travelling from the city centre to the ferry? I'm staying close to the central train station.

I'm staying in that area in the Central Hotel. I was planning to get an early taxi from the hotel to the ferry on Thursday morning. I assume that's what you meant.

I'm there on Tuesday but again, it's quite late. That doesn't mean I will go straight to bed, though! Either way, I'm looking to see the city on Wednesday and then take the con ferry on Thursday. PM if you want my mobile number or email address.

It seems the only mobile phone number I have for you is a US number you must have been using in Chicago. I think you probably have my number though?

I'm staying in that area in the Central Hotel. I was planning to get an early taxi from the hotel to the ferry on Thursday morning. I assume that's what you meant.

Yes. I'm getting my days mixed up.

I arrive late WEDNESDAY.

I'm at the City Hostel - Central Station, which looks like it's just on the other side of the train station to where you're staying.

Stockholm and Mariehamn look to be welcoming you with lousy June weather. 10-15 C, mostly cloudy with some showers and some sunlight.

If you want to travel in Stockholm using the commuter service (which is bearable now that more and more people are going on vacation) you can find some information here: http://sl.se/en/fares--tickets/

Stockholm and Mariehamn look to be welcoming you with lousy June weather. 10-15 C, mostly cloudy with some showers and some sunlight.

Sounds fantastic.

Not even being sarcastic...It's better than we get in Scotland!

Wow, I really failed at checking over here.

My plans:

Flight to Stockholm Wed morning

Rushing across Stockholm to get ferry

Get Ferry to Mariehamn16:00, arriving 22:50 - will people be around/awake in the cabins to let me in? :)

Archipelacon

Getting the con ferry (13:45-18:15) back on Monday

Up for dinner plans when we get back.*

I'm staying at Birka hostel near the train station, because it seemed to be the cheapest option with linen included.

Flight from Stockholm Tues 22:05

*If anyone is feeling very rich/there's enough of us, there's an exciting restaurant in old town that sells 'fairytale creatures'. When I asked them for clarification, they said: "Usually, it is a piglet we carve to look like a dragon", which sounds about the coolest thing ever.

Shit. I can't find the email with my ferry ticket confirmations and I didn't print them out when they first came through.

Also I have upgraded my PC since I booked so I don't have my history to look at to find the website again. Is there a website I can login at to find my tickets and print them? Or can I risk turning up on the day and just saying my name and getting on board (I rather suspect not).

Help appreciated...

Shit. I can't find the email with my ferry ticket confirmations and I didn't print them out when they first came through.

Also I have upgraded my PC since I booked so I don't have my history to look at to find the website again. Is there a website I can login at to find my tickets and print them? Or can I risk turning up on the day and just saying my name and getting on board (I rather suspect not).

Help appreciated...

What ferry company are you using?

I bet the best way is to call them (are you sure you didn't get the booking as a text message?) and have them resend the email.

If you still have problems I'd be happy to help since I can visit their office over here, just send me a pm in that case.

I looked at prepaid data sim cards in Åland and for a pure mobile broadband prepay you can either pay €25 for 4 calendar days with 2 Mbit/s (unlimited data) or €59 for 40GB data with 4G speed. A regular topup costs €30 (with €30 as value) and has these fees:

• Calls: €0.10 per minute
  • Text: €0.10 each
  • Data: €0.15 per 100 kB

For anyone on 3 mobile, there's no extra charge for calls/texts/data in Finland and Sweden, they just come out of your regular allowance.

(So anyone struggling, you can use my phone...as long as i have signal anyway!!)

For anyone on 3 mobile, there's no extra charge for calls/texts/data in Finland and Sweden, they just come out of your regular allowance.

(So anyone struggling, you can use my phone...as long as i have signal anyway!!)

Are you sure that Finland is included there? We have 3 here as well, and we can use it freely in Sweden and Denmark, but not Finland.

Sam,

those fees were apparently for domestic calls. To call to the UK the charge would be €0.20-0.42 per minute depending on if it's to a landline or mobile or what time of day.

Personally I'm just going to buy a small data package for use abroad (and the wifi at the convention centre) to communicate via facebook and twitter.

I've checked the Three.co.uk website and can confirm that for both Sweden and Finland, data, and calling/texting a UK number comes out of your allowance if you still have any left. Calls/texts to Swedish/Finnish numbers do not.

Archived