Who is Tommen's heir?

Salafi Stannis

Excellent. Very clear parallel.

Another reference point in RW history might be The Anarchy in England's history. After his son died, Henry I tried to have his daughter Matilda recognised as heir. But when Henry died, his nephew Stephen became king. Matilda (with her husband), fought a war for the throne that lasted years. Stephen wanted his son Eustace recognised as heir but Matilda fought to a stalemate. In the settlement, Stephen remained king but recognised Matilda's son Henry as heir. When Stephen died, Henry became Henry II.

Although Matilda and her son were considered traitors in Stephen's regime, the balance of power forced a compromise, which allowed the kingdom avoid having a queen regnant. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but Stannis being "attainted" doesn't preclude him from being recognised as heir to Tommen. Of couse, would only be relevant if/when the much younger Tommen dies.

Umm there a couple things wrong with this statement.

Henry II became king because at the age of 15 he took the field against Stephen got his ass kicked but...Stephen respected him enough to pay his troops and allowed him safe passage back to Normandy.

Next the lords hated and didn't respect Eustace as a king in the making.

So when Henry II came back and took the field after gaining much know how fighting back home eventually forced Stephen to confirm him as his heir.

It also helps that shortly after the submission Eustace turned up dead. The shortly after that so did Stephen.

If something happens to both Tommen and Myrcella (if Maggie's prophecy is corect then they'll die before Cersei) who'll get the throne? The Lannisters aren't going to give it to Stannis so it would be interesting to see what happens

They must give it to Stannis. They can't pass it to anyone else, since then Stannis is the rightful heir. Not that he wasn't before.

They must give it to Stannis. They can't pass it to anyone else, since then Stannis is the rightful heir. Not that he wasn't before.

Or they have one of Robert's many bastards legitimised (sure there's one lying around) and continue to rule through him/her :dunno:

It's either that or they give the throne to Stannis, which I highly doing they'll willingly do

Must? Can't? Oh boy. It isn't exactly how the whole business works. There are half a dozen choices, weaker or stronger, and every single one of them will retroactively become the Rightful King/Queen <TM>. And from the currently ruling gang's POV, even Shireen is more likely a candidate than Stannis.

If Tommen and Shireen both died they would be forced to call a great council, or simply abolish the Iron Throne. According to the Lannisters/Tyrells Stannis and Shireen are out of the line of succession, and there is no 1 after them. You'd have to keep going back so then you'd have the Tarths, Valyrons, Aryns, Royces, everyone would make a claim, and this time around there is no reason they would come to a consensus. Why would Dorne bow to an Aryn? Why would an Aryn bow to a Valyron? No 1 who would have any claim would have any power to enforce it. Unless there was a claimant who was the right age for Margery to marry, the throne would dissolve.

This is all a mute point however, as I've said before, when Tommen dies, Aegon becomes king.

It goes pretty much like this, I think

Tommen

Myrcella

Stannis

Shireen

Stannis is an attained traitor according to those who support Tommen and consider Myrcella his heir, so his claim is rendered nil and void. I don't know if that means the same for Shireen, though.

Archived