The "gay look"

I don't think there's a gay look anymore, especially in Paris, it's basically impossible to tell a straight man from a gay one. So much in fact that we (my homo circle of friends) often joke about needing to bring back the handkerchief.

That being said, certain brands just scream gay. Ain't never seen a straight guy wearing Andrew Christian... :)

ETA: this is a very middle-class/upper-middle-class city gay concern though, gays cultivate a look where they have the freedom to stand out
go out of the cities and the "gay look" is "blend in as much as possible".

I get accused of having a gay look a lot of the time because I'm phsyically delicate and have delicate features. But that's got nothing to do with gayness; that is just the way I was born. I remember once a bunch of idiots trying to pick a fight with me in a nightclub, purely because I used to like dancing, so they considered that gay. Incidentally, and I'm not saying I'm a cross dresser, but a lot of cross-dressers are straight, and like to dress that way because it turns their girlfriends on. But occasionally, you do hit people's gaydar because you act a certain way. I'm a fine quality soap and shower gel fan, and I swear that people in Lush are nice to me because they consider me homosexual, because they do employ a lot of gay guys, who appreciate my taste in flowery soap. :laugh:

Of course there's a 'gay look.' All stereotypes are true to some degree, just be sure not to judge people based on them.

Don't know why some people are trying so hard to be so overly politically correct these days. It doesn't help anyone.

Some stereotypes do hold a grain of truth, but stereotypes in general are very easily abused against a certain group and are therefor dangerous.

The line between politically correct and overly politically correct is not the same for everyone.

I get accused of having a gay look a lot of the time because I'm phsyically delicate and have delicate features. But that's got nothing to do with gayness; that is just the way I was born. I remember once a bunch of idiots trying to pick a fight with me in a nightclub, purely because I used to like dancing, so they considered that gay. Incidentally, and I'm not saying I'm a cross dresser, but a lot of cross-dressers are straight, and like to dress that way because it turns their girlfriends on. But occasionally, you do hit people's gaydar because you act a certain way. I'm a fine quality soap and shower gel fan, and I swear that people in Lush are nice to me because they consider me homosexual, because they do employ a lot of gay guys, who appreciate my taste in flowery soap. :laugh:

I would say that gay people are gay because they are born that way too :P

That was my thought too.

Unless you buy into stereotypes, there **is** no "gay" look.

Repeat after me: There *is* a gay look. Of course it is a stereotype but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. What it is you ask? If you look at a person and you think "(s)he is probably gay". Doesn't mean this person is actually gay but experience shows (s)he usually is. To quote George Clooney's character from the movie Up in the Air "I'm like my mother, I stereotype. It's faster."

Archived