Martin's "Favorite Character" post.

Ser Daegon

George R.R. Martin took to his LiveJournal today to discuss his recent interview schedule, taking a moment to express his exasperation at constantly being asked who his favorite character was. As anyone who’s read the A Song Of Ice And Fire books, watched the Game Of Thrones show, or read any interview with GRRM can attest, it’s the clever, sarcastic, heroic, pragmatic, and incredibly virile Tyrion Lannister so don’t ask again, thanks.

Martin then proceeded to explain that he loves all of his point-of-view characters, but clearly not equally, then proceeded to list them off. “I love all my viewpoint characters, Arya and Sansa and Bran, Jon Snow and Brienne, Arianne and Cersei and Jaime, Theon, even Victarion and the Damphair, ALL of them, but I love Tyrion the bestest.” By not mentioning Daenerys, the author clearly foreshadowed her imminent death and is also laughing in the face of all supporters of Team Targaryen.

I would like somebody of perceived potential dragon riders, I know that many people including myself loves us some minor POV and that we would be devastated if they are offed, but one of the BIg Four is the real impact I would like.

Here is a link to an interview where he says Dany is tied for his second favorite character. See the 2:18 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHFOepy7rJw

Killing off Dany before she actually makes an impact in Westeros makes no narrative sense.

The article was clearly sarcastic, dude.

Archived