Why didn't Jaime tell anyone about the wildfire scheme?

Game Of Thrones

It would have made things worse. By defending his crime he would have acknowledged that it needed defending.

The reasons to kill the king were self evident and it is quite possible that Ned stormed into that throneroom intent on killing Arys himself. Jamie became a very convenient scapegoat for Ned and Robert to decry what he did while reaping the greatest reward from that action.

What I really wonder though is how much of that pyromancers' pass is still stashed around Kingslanding?

:agree: + we're talking pre-imprisonment Jamie, he genuinely believed that he owed no explanations. "By what right...etc etc"

This.

And this.

Notably, he hasn't really changed in this lack of propensity to defend his own actions or failure to try to change others' perceptions of him. In his conversation with the Blackfish, when the Blackfish is basically spitting on his honor and pointing to how he broke his vows to Cat, Jaime similarly remains silent and refuses to defend himself.

I think part of the reason Jaime never defends his actions or his honor (like in the case of his conversation with the Blackfish) is because of his learned numbness while in service to Aerys. I think Jaime felt that ignoring Aerys' actions was already a black mark on his honor, as evidenced by his conversation with Hightower (correct me if I'm wrong about the specific kingsguard member) concerning Aerys' rape of his own wife. Now I feel as though if anyone is insulting his honor or something of the like he goes basically on autopilot into his numb to the world mode. But I absolutely agree he should have explained himself to Ned at the very least

I think part of the reason Jaime never defends his actions or his honor (like in the case of his conversation with the Blackfish) is because of his learned numbness while in service to Aerys. I think Jaime felt that ignoring Aerys' actions was already a black mark on his honor, as evidenced by his conversation with Hightower (correct me if I'm wrong about the specific kingsguard member) concerning Aerys' rape of his own wife. Now I feel as though if anyone is insulting his honor or something of the like he goes basically on autopilot into his numb to the world mode. But I absolutely agree he should have explained himself to Ned at the very least

It was Darry:

“You’re hurting me,” they had heard Rhaella cry through the oaken door. “You’re hurting me.” In some queer way, that had been worse than Lord Chelsted’s screaming. “We are sworn to protect her as well,” Jaime had finally been driven to say. “We are,” Darry allowed, “but not from him.”

Jaime is not a robot with a button to change personalities. His personality did not change when he killed Aerys, nor did it change when he lost his hand. If a guy ran over a man with a car, he will not now start to rob and kill people because 'it doesn't matter anymore'. That's not how it works. So Jaime, just because he killed Aerys, did not stop caring about any vows whatsoever a second later. And I am pretty sure that at that point he did not fuck Cersei when he was kingsguard. At least because they were half a continent apart.

I couldn't agree with you more. Therefore the Jamie who enjoyed breaking his vows left and right at the beginning of the series, is the same man who killed Aerys. Yet, he chooses to keep the one vow that would exonerate him of king slaying; seems pretty bs to me.

Jamie slept with Cercie the night before she married Robert. Man he certainly chose to break his vows rather quickly after killing Aerys if I'm to follow your excuse. Though he still kept Aerys dooms day plan secret and left his bombs all over the city.

It was Darry:

“You’re hurting me,” they had heard Rhaella cry through the oaken door. “You’re hurting me.” In some queer way, that had been worse than Lord Chelsted’s screaming. “We are sworn to protect her as well,” Jaime had finally been driven to say. “We are,” Darry allowed, “but not from him.”

Thanks. I knew Hightower didn't sound right

In Tywin's eyes Jamie chose him over the king. Probably a very proud daddy moment and Jaimie wasnt going to cause all types of problems by telling his dad he was willing to fight against him. He was only 17 so he def wanted daddies approval. And even if he told Ned the reason Ned would still look at him as breaking his oath.

It would have made things worse. By defending his crime he would have acknowledged that it needed defending.

The reasons to kill the king were self evident and it is quite possible that Ned stormed into that throneroom intent on killing Arys himself. Jamie became a very convenient scapegoat for Ned and Robert to decry what he did while reaping the greatest reward from that action.

What I really wonder though is how much of that pyromancers' pass is still stashed around Kingslanding?

It did need defending because of the context. No one is saying Aerys wasn't a monster who needed to die, but the fact is Jaime was sworn to protect him. It was not an easy decision but without official explanation to the rest of them, it was the wrong one. And if even one jar is still stashed and ends up killing innocents, it pretty much makes Jaime's actions before irrelevant.

:agree: + we're talking pre-imprisonment Jamie, he genuinely believed that he owed no explanations. "By what right...etc etc"

He may believe that tripe but it doesn't make it true. Anyone would have judge him in that situation if they did not know his reasons. That's why he's known as Kingslayer by more than just Ned.

No, what actually did make things worse was the part when Jaime started laughing and joking while he sat in the Iron Throne. And since Jaime decided not to explain otherwise, Ned was left with the impression that the Lannister felt no remorse from breaking his vows, and perhaps even enjoy it.

Why should he tell anybody?

Because murder is still murder regardless of the situation. Because he swore an oath to protect the guy he murdered. Because he climbed all the way the tall throne and was found there, which looks like he murdered him as a claim of power. And most importantly, he feels he was judged wrongly so it is his job to tell people why he did it. It is not anyone else's job to give him the benefit of the doubt when he literally killed the ruler of the land and took his throne.

Yet, he lived in this same city with his beloved Cersei, by protecting whom he would do anything... His supposed thoughts that wildfire is extremely dangerous contradict his actual actions. Likely he just thought that the wildfire is safely buried underground. He even killed everyone who knew about the plot. Maybe he was afraid that if the information about it would spread out, some hidden Targaryen loyalist would try to realize the true king's last command. Or something like that.

If he dodn't think it was dangerous then he's an even bigger idiot than I first thought

If he dodn't think it was dangerous then he's an even bigger idiot than I first thought

That's up to you to decide if he is a huge idiot because of that.

I couldn't agree with you more. Therefore the Jamie who enjoyed breaking his vows left and right at the beginning of the series, is the same man who killed Aerys. Yet, he chooses to keep the one vow that would exonerate him of king slaying; seems pretty bs to me.

Jamie slept with Cercie the night before she married Robert. Man he certainly chose to break his vows rather quickly after killing Aerys if I'm to follow your excuse. Though he still kept Aerys dooms day plan secret and left his bombs all over the city.

Yeah, and Jaime who enjoyed breaking his vows left and right is also the same man who now tries to keep them as much as he can. Also, I am pretty sure 'enjoyed' is a wrong word. He enjoyed nothing and was deeply disturbed by his reputation. This reputation forced him to change his priorities and act accordingly until the loss of his hand. But the loss also did not switch his personality. That was still Jaime. Who was caring about vows even more than he knew himself. A man who gives zero fucks about oaths would never cite so many of them without thinking like he did in his conversation with Cat. Or would never try to keep the vow, given to his enemy by a sword point. Yet Jaime does it and he decided to do it long before he actually lost his hand.

Cersei is a bit of a separate case as she extremely important to him. He always loses his head over her ( and I can only wonder what he felt when found out that she was going to marry). But I wonder how many time passed between the sack of KG and the wedding as Jame was given a huge pile of shit right after the accident as well.

Anyway, I am not saying that keeping his oath is the sole reason of his actions, Ned judgment is a reason as important, just like when he refused to give any explanations to Blackfish, because he looked at him 'just like Ned'. But it also played a role or else Jaime would have not brought it up in the bathtub in the first place.

That's up to you to decide if he is a huge idiot because of that.

Yeah, and Jaime who enjoyed breaking his vows left and right is also the same man who now tries to keep them as much as he can. Also, I am pretty sure 'enjoyed' is a wrong word. He enjoyed nothing and was deeply disturbed by his reputation. This reputation forced him to change his priorities and act accordingly until the loss of his hand. But the loss also did not switch his personality. That was still Jaime. Who was caring about vows even more than he knew himself. A man who gives zero fucks about oaths would never cite so many of them without thinking like he did in his conversation with Cat. Or would never try to keep the vow, given to his enemy by a sword point. Yet Jaime does it and he decided to do it long before he actually lost his hand.

Cersei is a bit of a separate case as she extremely important to him. He always loses his head over her ( and I can only wonder what he felt when found out that she was going to marry). But I wonder how many time passed between the sack of KG and the wedding as Jame was given a huge pile of shit right after the accident as well.

Anyway, I am not saying that keeping his oath is the sole reason of his actions, Ned judgment is a reason as important, just like when he refused to give any explanations to Blackfish, because he looked at him 'just like Ned'. But it also played a role or else Jaime would have not brought it up in the bathtub in the first place.

And I wonder how Ned got that idea. I mean he was only sitting on The Iron Throne, only moments after killing the king he was sworn to protect and surrounded by his fathers men. Worse yet Jamie made a joke about only keeping the chair warm for Robert; implying that he didn't take the action he just committed very serious.

I mean if you were Ned walking into that scene what would you think?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand/have a theory as to why Jaime didn't tell anyone about the wildfire scheme - but I would love to know if it is suggested anywhere in the series (and I've missed it/forgotten): is there any way to deactivate/destroy wildfire without actually detonating it?

Because if there is no known way to destroy it without detonating it, then perhaps Jaime thought it better if it lay secret and 'safe' underground than if he told people and they tried to retrieve it and detonated it in the process perhaps by accidentally dropping a pot...

I think that if it needed to be detonated to be destroyed, maybe Jaime was concerned about how/where it could be safely done. If done on land, it would have to be transported well away from the city and other towns, that would be very risky in that the rocking motion of it being moved could set it off (remembering, it's highly volatile stuff).

And perhaps he had even thought of the idea of putting it out to sea - which still has risks in moving it and who would he ask to do the task and sail the ship far enough away from the city? Who would volunteer? Also he may have worried about the explosion causing a tsunami or the like and still harming innocents. And surely there is risk of contamination of the sea/or land if it was buried/detonated well away from the city. So I suppose there are lots of reasons he might have chose to remain silent about the wildfire that had nothing to do with honour.

That's just my thinking. :-)

Ain't no point in talkin' when they're ain't nobody listenin'. Tywin wouldn't have cared in the slightest if Aerys had burned the city down. Neither would Cersei, and even at a younger age she was still twisted enough that she probably would have thought it was amusing. Robert probably wouldn't care either, because he'd already won the rebellion anyway; whether the royal family died by Jamie's sword or at the hands of Clegane and Lorch, or if they all died by Aerys setting the city on fire would have been essentially irrelevant to Robert. All that mattered was that they were dead, certainly not how they died. The honourable Eddard Stark, who lived his entire life in his intransigent lawful-good mindset, might have listened but he also would have thought that violating an oath was equivalently as bad as burning a half-million people to death. Except maybe for Varys, who was also on a knife-edge between living and being executed by Robert for serving Aerys, Jaime was pretty much surrounded by people who didn't care or who live by such a twisted code of honour that they believe oath-breaking is worse than a madman mass-murdering endless thousands with wildfire.

If a bodyguard for Stalin, Mao, or Hitler had taken a gun out and put a bullet into Dear Leaders head and saved thousands, or even millions of lives, then that person would be rightly remembered as a hero. Jaime Lannister was a hero when he killed Aerys, but the moronic and hypocritical society and culture that he lives in turned him into a villain instead.

Archived