Why is Tystane Martell heir of Dorne? on the show?

Black Dragons

Who do you consider the best character? They all seem like cut outs of cardboard to me.

Arianne? If she were male, would you care as much?

Yeah, I actually think Arianne is the only layered and complex of the Dornish lot, and gender is just one of her traits. Everyone else in Dorne can suck it, though, especially the Sand Snakes

She will if she's already married. And there are plenty of good-looking guys who are shy and have low self-esteem. I happen to know a few of them.

Eh, could be, but I'd consider it a questionable casting regardless

I too think the Dornish plots could be seen as filler if not done properly, which is why the decision to cut the best character of that storyline and keep all the cardboard cut outs is so baffling to me

Exactly my thoughts. My issue is that the Dornish plot revolves around mainly, two characters: Arianne Martell and Doran Martell. Which is why we end Feast with their showdown. When Arianne shows up to visit her father, we finally understand everything - And it makes some of the book's arc come full circle whilst setting up the next. Arianne is the character that matters - Arys Oakheart's POV is to give us insight into Arianne, not him. Likewise Areo's with Doran.

I don't see any need to worry. This just means that TV Trystane is destined to die a gruesome death of dragonfire, as opposed to Quentyn. Quentyn is out, I'm afraid. However, I like this move because I barely knew Quentyn, so if I'm able to get to know Trystane from the get-go and then see him take his fateful flight to Essos only to die in dragonfire, I would be much more heartbroken. Then, Arianne comes in the season after and Dornish law makes her the heir to Dorne. Problem solved.

Quentyn is the loser here, not Arianne.

That may be the case, but as JOTD has said, presenting Arianne this late creates several issues. For starters, would show-Arianne be then sixteen?

Who do you consider the best character? They all seem like cut outs of cardboard to me.

Arianne? If she were male, would you care as much?

Quentyn and Arianne, both are fantastic characters in their own right.

And no, only because her story only works as a woman. That is what making Trysante eat her role all the more crap.

Yeah, I actually think Arianne is the only layered and complex of the Dornish lot, and gender is just one of her traits. Everyone else in Dorne can suck it, though, especially the Sand Snakes

Eh, could be, but I'd consider it a questionable casting regardless

I'll never understand the Sandsnakes casting, nor Tyene's double daggers.

If he had Oberyn's looks and boldness, he would have bitched slapped Daario, and told Dany " we got a kingdom to save" and she would have been al on his heroic stuff, because to be frank, Quentyn's mission and travel was some straight out of a epic type of adventure. If he sold it right it would have put Daario's " I killed my friends because how hot you are " speech to shame.

Exactly. As much as I hate (and I do hate it a lot) the entire Quentyn arc at least works on some level as a deconstruction of the hero's quest by having a hero who is mentally and physically unprepared for that mission. He's supposed to look like mud, not like a model.

I'll never understand the Sandsnakes casting, nor Tyene's double daggers.

Tyene's double daggers are set to become a cult classic, I feel it.

I do like that Nym is played by an Asian actress, not only for variety's sake, but also because I also imagined Volantis as vaguely Asian, for some reason. But of course, dark-skinned Talisa was also from Volantis, so there you go

Exactly. As much as I hate (and I do hate it a lot) the entire Quentyn arc at least works on some level as a deconstruction of the hero's quest by having a hero who is mentally and physically unprepared for that mission. He's supposed to look like mud, not like a model.

It was Martin's great bitch slap on common fantasy tropes, greater then all his slaps and what set him apart, a prince who goes on a epic quest can't whipe out like magic a speech to win the girl and dies trying to ride a dragon. I think truly set him apart, but what D&D do? Replace him and Arianne for a standard handsome prince who of course wins the heart of the fair princess.

According to Tyrion in season 2: "I'm brokering an alliance with house Martell of Dorne. Princess Myrcella will wed their youngest son when she comes of age."

So why is Trystane their only son now??

EDITED: Grammar.

Because fuck consistency, that's why. They could retcon Arianne somehow, but they would have to make her younger than Trystane or kiss equal inheritance good bye, which in turn means the motive to crown Myrcella is screwed, so it's all a mess

I do like that Nym is played by an Asian actress, not only for variety's sake, but also because I also imagined Volantis as vaguely Asian, for some reason. But of course, dark-skinned Talisa was also from Volantis, so there you go

Oona Chaplin is Spanish, born from an actual Chilean, and she's not that dark-skinned, at least not for our standards.

But we actually know nothing about Nym's mother, do we?

Oona Chaplin is Spanish, and she's not that dark-skinned, at least not for our standards.

But we actually know nothing about Nym's mother, do we?

Not that I'm aware, but they could always say her mom was from Qohor or somewhere like that

The discussion of where does she keep them is already my favorite TV-Show related discussion.

I feel like TV Nym does not have a Volantene as a mother, considering Talisa is from Volantis and it might create all sort of issues (Though they barely seem to care). They might just give her another free-city, if any at all. Norvos has had color-change, considering Areo's casting.

According to Tyrion in season 2: "I'm brokering an alliance with house Martell of Dorne. Princess Myrcella will wed their youngest son when she comes of age."

They don't care about consistency. My idea is, the original plan was to keep Arianne and the Dornish plot, but since the wuv story between Robb and Talisa was SO well received, they decided to give another go.

Not that I'm aware, but they could always say her mom was from Qohor or somewhere like that

Maybe just some rich women from Asshai or something that happened to be around Oberyn.

She's extremly different that she's supposed to be, so...

If he had Oberyn's looks and boldness, he would have bitched slapped Daario, and told Dany " we got a kingdom to save" and she would have been al on his heroic stuff, because to be frank, Quentyn's mission and travel was some straight out of a epic type of adventure. If he sold it right it would have put Daario's " I killed my friends because how hot you are " speech to shame.

"My sweet Queen... My aunt Elia was going to be a Queen too. Your brother's Queen. Until the Usurper and his dogs killed her, and her children. And your brother. And they let you wander in the desert. My father was ready to fight for Viserys, and he wants to fight now for you. For justice. Let's go back and take back what it's yours and my family's. And once we have it back, I'll return here. With you. And free your people".

*Dany jumps into his arms. Daario's dick falls off. Cue to I don't wanna close my eyes... I don't want to faaaall asleeeep..."

"My sweet Queen... My aunt Elia was going to be a Queen too. Your brother's Queen. Until the Usurper and his dogs killed her, and her children. And your brother. And they let you wander in the desert. My father was ready to fight for Viserys, and he wants to fight now for you. For justice. Let's go back and take back what it's yours and my family's. And once we have it back, I'll return here. With you. And free your people".

*Dany jumps into his arms. Daario's dick falls off. Cue to I don't wanna close my eyes... I don't want to faaaall asleeeep..."

That's actually a really good corny speech....

Quentyn and Arianne, both are fantastic characters in their own right.

And no, only because her story only works as a woman. That is what making Trysante eat her role all the more crap.

I agree. Arianne has to be a woman and she has to be the heir to Dorne or else she's not Arianne.

Trystane just can't take over her plot and have it still make sense.

With this and Jaime and Bronn being in Dorne for some reason, it's pretty clear to me that they're just making up their own story with characters, some of whom have the same names as ours.

And it might be for the best. At least Arianne and Quent won't be fucked over like Margaery.

The way he's saying it, it sounds like Myrcella would wed the youngest son of House Martell. It's a weird way of saying it, but I wouldn't call it an inconsistency.

Archived