Why is Tystane Martell heir of Dorne? on the show?

Black Dragons

Chileans and Argentinians are actually very very white (due to weather and ancestry)

Compared to the average Latin American? They are. Although Pedro Pascal wasn't...

But...compared to English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh people on the show? No, so even her must look like black for the Westerosi :eek:

Compared to the average Latin American? They are. Although Pedro Pascal wasn't...

But...compared to English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh people on the show? No, so even her must look like black for the Westerosi :eek:

Actually, many of them are, indeed. But only the skin. The rest of the features really REALLY looks latin. (but don't tell them that, some of them might not take it... very well).

Actually, many of them are, indeed. But only the skin. The rest of the features really REALLY looks latin. (but don't tell them that, some of them might not take it... very well).

Actually, you know that I'm Spanish, but I'm from the North. I have brown hair, white skinn and grey eyes. I look as Caucasian as anyone can be :dunno:

I figure its because "Trystane Martell" is an alias for (f)Aegon. This would allow D&D to consolidate the Dornish Master Plan with the Aegon plot. Trimming the river journey and further exploring Doran's character and hopefully those of the Sand Snakes.

I really don't want this to happen.

But......

...is my imagination or this kid looks a bit... "Targaryenish"?

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/polls/1401000/1401310_1406331351360_full.jpg

http://www.worldsend.com/discography/l-3.jpg

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/game-of-thrones-season-5-cast-toby-sebastian-trystane-martell.png

He could pass as Emilia's brother rather than Pedro's nephew, tbh.

I'm... getting afraid of this :/

My worst fear is that D&D is going to reduce Tyene to a generic Hollywood "strong woman".

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's the case. I'm not a huge fan of all the sand snake casting to be honest. Tyene doesn't look right at all, and Obara looks way too small and too pretty. It seems like they just want female Oberyns and to create another Talia/Robb with Tryst and Myrcella. I'll be shocked if all the sand snakes aren't naked at some point and Tryst isn't some kind of perfect prince.

I liked Quentyn because he wasn't the perfect prince, he didn't look right and he didn't have the confidence. He wanted to do right for his family and to make them proud but he wasn't ready or able to do that and it turned the prince charming on a great adventure trope on its head. I've always loved Arianne and nothing will change that she was also unique in that she was the physical embodiment of one of the most fundamental differences between Dorne and the rest of the realm, without that Dorne isn't any different from anywhere else no matter Oberyns protestations.

Because they'll mostt likely merge Trystane, Quentyn and Arianne so that they don't need to cast 3 separate people. There you go.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Trystane will probably try to crown Myrcella but she'll end up dying. Then Doran will send Trystane to woo Dany and Trystane will end up dying.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's the case. I'm not a huge fan of all the sand snake casting to be honest. Tyene doesn't look right at all, and Obara looks way too small and too pretty. It seems like they just want female Oberyns and to create another Talia/Robb with Tryst and Myrcella. I'll be shocked if all the sand snakes aren't naked at some point and Tryst isn't some kind of perfect prince.

I liked Quentyn because he wasn't the perfect prince, he didn't look right and he didn't have the confidence. He wanted to do right for his family and to make them proud but he wasn't ready or able to do that and it turned the prince charming on a great adventure trope on its head. I've always loved Arianne and nothing will change that she was also unique in that she was the physical embodiment of one of the most fundamental differences between Dorne and the rest of the realm, without that Dorne isn't any different from anywhere else no matter Oberyns protestations.

I agree. The Dornish storyline is going to be pure fan fiction.

Consider: They threw out the most important characters - PoV characters - Arianne and Quentyn. Each of these characters have hundreds of pages worth of description and character development that describe not only what they are doing but why they are doing it. You know, the stuff that's the core of "A Song of Ice and Fire"? Instead they replace it with Trystane, who doesn't even appear in the books and can therefore be anything D & D want him to be ( the consensus seems to be that there will be a 'twu wuv' story with Myrcella, and no idea beyond that ).

Also the sand snakes are not that important in the books but that doesn't even matter anyway because it seems like the show sand-snakes are not going to be anything like them anyway. It's a little early to say but I'm sure their characteristic lines like Obara's "My father tossed me a spear and I chose it over my mother" ( paraphrasing ) won't make it into the show. Instead D & D prefer to take their inspiration from hollywood and video games ( dual wielding dagger rogue? ). They will all be generic 'strong' women like Red Sonja or show!Brienne and of course with T & A added.

I also have a feeling that Dornish inheritance laws won't make it to the show. There's no set up for it period and no payoff. We also know that they pretty much threw out the Rhoynar ethnicity factor ( by making most of the actors white - especially Trystane ). Dorne will probably be exactly like the seven kingdoms, but with more sex!

The only saving grace is if the actor playing Doran Martell can give a convincing performance. Based on his performance in Deep Space 9 ( which I am a huge fan of btw ), I am hopeful.

I figure its because "Trystane Martell" is an alias for (f)Aegon. This would allow D&D to consolidate the Dornish Master Plan with the Aegon plot. Trimming the river journey and further exploring Doran's character and hopefully those of the Sand Snakes.

I really don't want this to happen.

But......

...is my imagination or this kid looks a bit... "Targaryenish"?

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/polls/1401000/1401310_1406331351360_full.jpg

http://www.worldsend.com/discography/l-3.jpg

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/game-of-thrones-season-5-cast-toby-sebastian-trystane-martell.png

He could pass as Emilia's brother rather than Pedro's nephew, tbh.

I'm... getting afraid of this :/

I do wonder how they were planning on passing off that actor they got for Trystane as the son of Alex Siddig...

ETA Holy shit that could mean JonCon's been replaced by Doran

Because the books are so bloated with plots and characters, some things just got to be cut. The show doesn't waste time with pointless scenes and filler.

:rofl:

:rofl:

Those smilies were my reaction when you said the show doesn't waste time on pointless scenes and filler. :rofl:

*cough* Ros - Podrick the sex god - 70% of King's Landing in season 3 - Craster's Keep - Tywin/Arya (sorry, no matter how many people liked them, they lead nowhere and we're ultimately pointless) - the entire Qarth storyline - half of the Arya/Sandor stuff in season 4 - cousin Orson - Mel having sex with Gendry - almost every brothel scene ever...

They do. I personally consider 2x09 the best episode of GOT. It had so many good character-driven moments between Sansa and Cersei, Tyrion and Bronn, Sandor and Sansa, Stannis and Davos, and in a whole, I think the episode worked, especially in comparison with 4X09, a technically superior episode, yet lacking on emotion, at least for me.

I agree, 2x09 was the best. It was like a movie. I like Neil Marshall's direction, so I thought 4x09 was better than the rest last season, but have steadily lost interest after season 1.

Sure. It's the comments about the commentaries in the Blu-ray and DVD versions of Game of Thrones: Season 3. I've heard them myself when I watched the episodes with comments a few months ago. I hate that episode as well, for it was so badly planned.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/99614-season-3-bluray-and-dvd-details-revealed/page-7

I wrote that after listening to the commentary. I didn't want to believe he wrote anything that bad, so it was nice to hear. He wanted to make it REALLY clear he had nothing to do with the Theon stuff.

I don't share Martin's draconian views on copyright, trademarks and patents because these are all 19th century inventions and unsuited to a digital age where everyone shares everything with everyone else online and where privatizing ideas for 70+ years with heavy penalties is not a good way to approach copyright infringement anyway because that would mean that you assume it to be an absolute truth that the tougher you make the laws, the more people will always be deterred. We know that is not the case. Also, some of his inspirations and influences for his story (Cersei being the evil queen from Snow White essentially and Margaery being in the Snow White position of potentially replacing her) might come from things that were not protected by tough copyright laws, such as the Brothers Grimm fairytales and La Fontaine's Fables. He hasn't paid anyone to use the tropes and archetypes he's subverting. It also misunderstands how the reception of ideas by a large community works. Once an idea is out there you have shared it with everyone and they should be allowed to use tropes and concepts you invented to make new tropes and new concepts out of them in their own stories. I think it's fair to say that noone should make money off of his characters but as long as they're writing fanfiction for themselves and their friends without charging anyone money for reading it I don't see what the big deal is because it's not official canon anyway.

From what we can see from the casting of Dorne that no character besides Doran is going to be the same as they are in the books.

The Trystane we will see in s5, will be a completely different character. Will they make him take over fAegon's role? Possibly, but that could lead to future problems, and really hope this doesnt happen as I really hope we still get YG. Some people are saying he will take over Quentyn's role, I dont think so as that would mean Doran would be without an heir, as they have already decided to cut Arianne (who would be perfect for a HBO show). Also there are hints that the Sons of Harpy will release the Dragons which would be better. I think we will see a Myrcella coup, but where else are they going to take Trystane I have no clue.

Them including 3 Sand Snakes instead of cutting one and including Arianne still makes no sense to me, but anyways looks like we will have 3 beautiful bastard daughters with short tempers. Thought they would have had a actress that was a little taller for Obara. Regardless of how important they will be in the future, D&D are riding on the popularity of Oberyn. As for people complaining that they cast actors with a pale skin tone/or not olive skin or latino skin tone about them, they can always make the actors skin look a little darker like with Ellaria Sand, so they could do that with Trystane, and other Sand Snakes and give them more of an exotic look. I think we will get a Aero Hotah with more of a personality and may have a bigger role than he has in the books

But what it looks like we will be getting a different set of Dorne characters then we were used to

From what we can see from the casting of Dorne that no character besides Doran is going to be the same as they are in the books.

The Trystane we will see in s5, will be a completely different character. Will they make him take over fAegon's role? Possibly, but that could lead to future problems, and really hope this doesnt happen as I really hope we still get YG. Some people are saying he will take over Quentyn's role, I dont think so as that would mean Doran would be without an heir, as they have already decided to cut Arianne (who would be perfect for a HBO show). Also there are hints that the Sons of Harpy will release the Dragons which would be better. I think we will see a Myrcella coup, but where else are they going to take Trystane I have no clue.

Them including 3 Sand Snakes instead of cutting one and including Arianne still makes no sense to me, but anyways looks like we will have 3 beautiful bastard daughters with short tempers. Thought they would have had a actress that was a little taller for Obara. Regardless of how important they will be in the future, D&D are riding on the popularity of Oberyn. As for people complaining that they cast actors with a pale skin tone/or not olive skin or latino skin tone about them, they can always make the actors skin look a little darker like with Ellaria Sand, so they could do that with Trystane, and other Sand Snakes and give them more of an exotic look. I think we will get a Aero Hotah with more of a personality and may have a bigger role than he has in the books

But what it looks like we will be getting a different set of Dorne characters then we were used to

The problem is...there are too many dark skinned/haired characters in the show compared to the books.

Example: Areo Hotah or Tyene.

I don't share Martin's draconian views on copyright, trademarks and patents because these are all 19th century inventions and unsuited to a digital age where everyone shares everything with everyone else online and where privatizing ideas for 70+ years with heavy penalties is not a good way to approach copyright infringement anyway because that would mean that you assume it to be an absolute truth that the tougher you make the laws, the more people will always be deterred. We know that is not the case. Also, some of his inspirations and influences for his story (Cersei being the evil queen from Snow White essentially and Margaery being in the Snow White position of potentially replacing her) might come from things that were not protected by tough copyright laws, such as the Brothers Grimm fairytales and La Fontaine's Fables. He hasn't paid anyone to use the tropes and archetypes he's subverting. It also misunderstands how the reception of ideas by a large community works. Once an idea is out there you have shared it with everyone and they should be allowed to use tropes and concepts you invented to make new tropes and new concepts out of them in their own stories. I think it's fair to say that noone should make money off of his characters but as long as they're writing fanfiction for themselves and their friends without charging anyone money for reading it I don't see what the big deal is because it's not official canon anyway.

It has nothing to do with copyright, but how the author wants his work to be seen and interpreted and he's right. The work is HIS, not ours.

And as someone who has worked in publishing original content, I completely agree with him. Just because I allow others to read/see my work, doesn't mean they can do whatever they want to do with it.

Archived