Should Jon Snow return Longclaw to House Mormont?

sj4iy

Maybe Jeor intended the sword to begin being passed down from LC to LC.

Who really cares anyway? If Maege wanted the sword she'd have asked for it, and nothing Jeor says hints that she did.

Maege didn't want it or she wouldn't have sent it to Jeor who also didn't want it. Mormont gave it to someone who would use it and use it Jon did. I see no problem.

Maybe Jeor intended the sword to begin being passed down from LC to LC.

Joer had managed to forget about the sword until it got burned during the fire in his quarters, so he had no plans for it. But if the NW survives the series and Jon stays as LC, I can totally see him turning Longclaw into the Lord Commander's sword (it even has the same abbreviation :lol:) to be given to his successor and to all the LCs to come.

Except that Jon is not a Stark.

(And seriously, if all that matters is defending the Wall, give the damn thing to Qhorin Halfhand. Jon is a steward, not a ranger).

In fairness, he was specifically made a steward so that he could be groomed to be a future Lord Commander. Bowen Marsh echoes this practice when he complains about Satin being made the LC steward. So, it's not as though Jon was ever a "normal" steward, he was always destined for more. Jon may not be a Stark in name at this point, but he has just as much Stark blood as his siblings, and that still means something.

Maege didn't want it or she wouldn't have sent it to Jeor who also didn't want it. Mormont gave it to someone who would use it and use it Jon did. I see no problem.

True, I think the Mormonts viewed LongClaw as a symbol of Jorah's shame, and the shame he inflicted upon House Mormont after he fled. The Mormonts don't want anything to do with the sword any longer, but it's a Valyrian blade, so it would have been absurd for them to sell it. Jon helped Jeor solve this issue, as Jeor was able to finally give the sword to a worthy heir.

1. There's a small difference between selling marginal land, and selling, say, Winterfell. I repeat: could a future Lord Stark give (or gamble) away Winterfell to someone outside the family?

2. We learn that no-one will part with their family blade, no matter how Tywin Lannister tries.

1. The Starks gave the Wolf's Den area to the Manderlys.

2. Yet Longlcaw wasn't taken from the Mormonts by force or sold by them, but given to someone for saving the owner's life.

Jeor didn't steal the sword from his family, he didn't even want it. They sent it to him.

It belongs to the Watch now. They could not possibly expect it back. The flow of goods, kind, weapons, armor and money is always one direction, to the Watch, never from it.

Sj4iy you had an interesting theory comparing Tad Williams series and his swords memory sorrow and Thorn .. It occurred to me that wasn't Thorn the black sword forged from a meteorite much like Dawn .. And used By Seoman for awhile til it's true owner Sir Cameris returned ... You may be the only one that know what I am talking about .. Haha .. I loved that series btw

It belongs to the Watch now. They could not possibly expect it back. The flow of goods, kind, weapons, armor and money is always one direction, to the Watch, never from it.

Or possibly (if the world wasn't ending) a clever Lord-Commander would gift it back to the Mormonts, after under the table working out a trade in men, weapons, food, horses etc.

Or possibly (if the world wasn't ending) a clever Lord-Commander would gift it back to the Mormonts, after under the table working out a trade in men, weapons, food, horses etc.

The Mormonts don't want it and the Watch doesn't want to give it up. Trade doesn't work that way.

The Mormonts don't want it and the Watch doesn't want to give it up. Trade doesn't work that way.

I'm not talking right this very moment in the books. But if nothing terrible happened at the wall, in a generation or two, the Mormonts might start to miss their traditional blade and a Lord-Commander might see that men, food, horses, weapons etc outweigh one single fantastic sword.

Archived