Should Jon Snow return Longclaw to House Mormont?

sj4iy

Do you think Jon Snow is under any obligation to return the sword back to House Mormont at any point?

My vote is no. LC Mormont gave him the sword once his own son relinquished claim to it. Jon has proven worthy of the sword and has absolutely no obligation to ever return the sword to House Mormont.

Perhaps one day it will be necessary to give the sword back to the Mormonts, as an act of peace or to reward a worthy heir. Or, as family heirloom custom dictates, a young Mormont hero will kill Jon and take back what is rightfully his. Until then, I agree that Jon doesn't have any real obligation to give the sword back, and in fact it would make a better Quentin Tarantino movie if he didn't.

Jon has more than earned the sword. Furthermore, while the sword has historically been an heirloom of house Mormont, the legitimate holder of the sword can decide who the bequeath it to. Lady Forlorn for example was given to the younger Corbray, and while it still stayed in the Corbray family, it certainly didn't follow the traditional inheritance path. Aegon the Unworthy gave the legendary Blackfyre to his bastard son Daemon. What i'm seeing here is that the rightful owner of a Valyrian sword certainly seems to have the right to give it to whomever they wish.

The remaining Mormonts can harbor a grudge if they wish, but Jeor saw Jon as a worthy of the sword, and his judgement should be trusted.

I think that Jon has every right to keep Longclaw, but he will give it to Jorah when he acquires Lightbringer, and Jorah will become the new Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing that, but what if Longclaw becomes Lightbringer?

I think Jon is the kind of person that will return Longclaw because he will never think he deserves it. Just like he felt about Winterfell.

Admittedly, I think he will have Dark Sister (Lightbringer) so the decision to return it will be an easy one.

Now I don't think Jorah will take the black because I don't think the Night's Watch will be still intact by the end.

Perhaps one day it will be necessary to give the sword back to the Mormonts, as an act of peace or to reward a worthy heir. Or, as family heirloom custom dictates, a young Mormont hero will kill Jon and take back what is rightfully his. Until then, I agree that Jon doesn't have any real obligation to give the sword back, and in fact it would make a better Quentin Tarantino movie if he didn't.

This is the perfect answer.

Maybe one day in the future if a worthy heir to the Mormont household comes along then sure, it may be a good idea. But for now there is no point.

Obviously right now is not a good time. Jon has a lot to do and can't be bothered to go find the Mormonts and give them back a sword that he might well need. The heir to Bare Island is currently 2 years old also.

What? I thought she was old enough to send out angry ravens.

And I wasn't pushing for it to happen; I don't think it should. But I just don't get the 'one day an heir' when the house has both head and heir as we speak.

(You know what I mean by angry ravens, right? Can this become a thing?)

Archived