The Griffin vs. The Bear

Rorey Targaryen

He fought Denys Arryn and won. Then (or before), he fought Hoster and got him hurt (wonder why he didn't kill him), and then, he faced fully recovered Robert and survived, probably because he realised he needed to retreat his men. People often needs to remember how badass Jon is. Like, is not even a question who would win between him and Jorah.

Lords have guards and LP's probably have a shitton of them, Jon could have cut his way to Hoster wounded him but been driven back Hoster's protectors before he could finish it

Lords have guards and LP's probably have a shitton of them, Jon could have cut his way to Hoster wounded him but been driven back Hoster's protectors before he could finish it

No doubt Denys had his own guards too since he was the heir of the Eyrie and Jon Arryn wasn't present. Goes to show how badass JonCon is(though obviously he didn't do all this single handily).

I don't even think it would be close between Jorah and Jon in a one on one fight or equal starting battlefield position against each other. Who has Jorah killed that we know of? Khal Drogos bloodrider? Jorah basically lost that fight if not for the Dothraki idiotically getting his sword stuck in jorahs side.

I think it would be a mistake to brush off that fight. Jorah took the advantage when it was there, which is what being a good fighter is all about. Qotho was presumably one of the strongest fighters in Drogo's 40,000 strong army of violence-loving lunatics.

Jorah was knighted by Robert for his distinguished performance in the Greyjoy rebellion, and at the subsequent tourney (admittedly highly motivated) he beat Strongboar and Bronze Yohn Royce and fought Jamie Lannister to a standstill, yet he considers himself a much better fighter than a jouster.

Since then, he's been wandering Essos as a sellsword, not shy to learn new tricks, getting tougher and wilier. I'd say Jorah ranks fairly high on the people-not-to-piss-off list.

I think it would be a mistake to brush off that fight. Jorah took the advantage when it was there, which is what being a good fighter is all about. Qotho was presumably one of the strongest fighters in Drogo's 40,000 strong army of violence-loving lunatics.

Jorah was knighted by Robert for his distinguished performance in the Greyjoy rebellion, and at the subsequent tourney (admittedly highly motivated) he beat Strongboar and Bronze Yohn Royce and fought Jamie Lannister to a standstill, yet he considers himself a much better fighter than a jouster.

Since then, he's been wandering Essos as a sellsword, not shy to learn new tricks, getting tougher and wilier. I'd say Jorah ranks fairly high on the people-not-to-piss-off list.

Jorah could eat my head in one bite.

If the question here is who would win in a fight in current times dance with dragons, then I have no idea. We haven't seen Jon's fighting capabilities enough to tell if he's lost the steps he used to have 16 years ago. Jorah we know is highly pissed off and out for blood, being a slave tends to do that to a person, but then again he's also been a slave, so he at this point might not have his strength about him.

If the question is who would win given they're both in their prime, then my money is on JonCon.

Jorah could eat my head in one bite.

If the question here is who would win in a fight in current times dance with dragons, then I have no idea. We haven't seen Jon's fighting capabilities enough to tell if he's lost the steps he used to have 16 years ago. Jorah we know is highly pissed off and out for blood, being a slave tends to do that to a person, but then again he's also been a slave, so he at this point might not have his strength about him.

If the question is who would win given they're both in their prime, then my money is on JonCon.

Jon Con also has greyscale one of his hands. We don't know even know how well he can use that hand.

“The nails on all four fingers were black now, though not yet on his thumb. On the middle finger, the grey had crept up past the second knuckle. I should hack them off, he thought, but how would I explain two missing fingers? ”

Jon Con also has greyscale one of his hands. We don't know even know how well he can use that hand.

The nails on all four fingers were black now, though not yet on his thumb. On the middle finger, the grey had crept up past the second knuckle. I should hack them off, he thought, but how would I explain two missing fingers?

Yep. Fist fight right now, Jorah crushes Jon's skull Clegane style.

I love Jorah, but this is Connington all the way.

As a young general, everyone respected him and his greatest criticism wasn't not good enough, but 'too soon', ie he's a comer. And now add years and years of extraordinary experience.

As a warrior he has exploits and was outwardly looking for a 1 on 1 with Robert, about whom no one has said 'insane'. I think he's much more skilled, though Jorah's sheer strength might have aged better. ( not saying Mormont is just strength, just not semi-legendary as Jon Con seems to have been.)

As all around rep's go, he's very formidable.

I'll go with Jorah on both counts, Dany would actually listen to Jorah and JonCon seems to be an unremarkable warrior.

He faced Robert, Denys Arryn, and Hoster Tully, surviving the first, killing the second and hurting the third.

He was a remarkable warrior and commander, to a point where Tywin only found him too young.

He faced Robert, Denys Arryn, and Hoster Tully, surviving the first, killing the second and hurting the third.

He was a remarkable warrior and commander, to a point where Tywin only found him too young.

What are the skill levels of Hoster and Denys?

So, he survived Deny's protectors (and probably killed them to get to him), Hoster's, who probably simply driven him away, and then... he went to Robert AND survived him. And then, ordered a quick retreat? Is he on Duracell? Unless it was all due to the power of love.

Greyscale or not, I think Jorah wouldn't make it alive, or complete. In the worst case, he could say "look! I have greyscale" and spit in his eye to distract him and win.

What are the skill levels of Hoster and Denys?

We can only guess, but I think they were pretty good, at least. He killed Denys, heir of the Vale, and hurt Hoster, Lord of the Riverlands. To do that, he must have faced their own guards as well.

So, he could have killed three of the TOP Lords of Westeros being in his 20s, something remarkable. Surviving a fight with Robert is heavy shit.

I thought Jousting Skill =/= Sword Skill. My main example being Loras Tyrell who is a fantastic Jouster but a Rhaegar-ish level swordsman.

Pretty bad example. Rhaegar was a great swordsman lacking experience. Loras is considered by the author as one of the best warriors in the series. Nearly all good jousters were good warriors.

Archived