Think Brandon Stark had any bastards?

ShadowInTheDarkness

There is scant evidence either way, but I don't feel like Brandon would be the brothel type. A bit of a cad for sure, who had a thing with Barbery and likely Ashara, perhaps a serving girl here or there.

He probably fathered a few bastards, but does not sound like he acknowledged any. So they, male or female, would not be able to lay claim anything

All we know from Dustin is that "he wasn't shy about taking what he wanted," he used to say he wanted his sword sharp enough to "shave a woman's cunt," and he seemed to get particularly excited by the act of deflowering her. We know from Ned that he had "more than a touch" of wolf's blood (was hot-headed and impulsive), and there's a good chance he "dishonored" AD at the tourney (Ned doing so would have been uncharacteristic).

Extrapolate from that what you will. I get the impression he and Robert would have been bros, but we really don't know much about him. However, it's not unreasonable for a Brandon-daughter to be running around.

Brandon Stark was described as a ladies man who enjoyed seducing woman. Have you ever gotten that impression from Robert ever?

Well in his prime, he was apparently muscled like every maiden's fantasy. And he certainly got around (hence Mya) prior to his kingship. Lyanna said he'd never keep to one bed, so I'm guessing Robert had to be a bit of a known flirt.

Yeah he could have a bastard or two, easily. But they'll be female, so unless The North adopts Dornish inheritance, I doubt they'd have much of a claim (assuming Rickon is found).

As the daughters of Ned's older brother, they'd be ahead of Ned and his children, if they had any claim at all (= being legitimized).

Daughters? Possibly..

Sons? No.

Why?

Why?

The idea comes from this ssm I believe.

It's true that in recent times, the Starks have become quite scarce. There's not many of them in the present generatons. Some may say it's because Ned's siblings died. Brandon died before he had sons, and Lyanna is also dead, and Benjen joined the Night's Watch which means he doesn't have descendants either. It might also have to do with their father, Rickard, who was an only son and I'd have to go back to my notes to see why he was the only child -- and really, I'm speaking from memory, so that may not be quite right. At home I have my notecards, my family trees where I keep this information, because unlike some other people I can't remember everything.

As the daughters of Ned's older brother, they'd be ahead of Ned and his children, if they had any claim at all (= being legitimized).

Yeah, which is why I made my note about Rickon. But what king is going to legitimize his maybe-daughters anyway?

I think Domeric was his bastard.

The very same Domeric who gets compared to Brandon's (and Lyanna's) riding process and isn't that much younger than them? Domeric Bolton, whose mother was married to Roose Bolton, living in the Dreadfort, with no hint that Brandon ever visited and with Roose most certainly taking offense if Brandon slept with her?

No.

Why?

Because of these parts of this SSM combined:

It's true that in recent times, the Starks have become quite scarce. There's not many of them in the present generatons. Some may say it's because Ned's siblings died. Brandon died before he had sons, and Lyanna is also dead, and Benjen joined the Night's Watch which means he doesn't have descendants either. It might also have to do with their father, Rickard, who was an only son and I'd have to go back to my notes to see why he was the only child -- and really, I'm speaking from memory, so that may not be quite right. At home I have my notecards, my family trees where I keep this information, because unlike some other people I can't remember everything.

It'd be an exaggeration to say that Brandon died before he could have children. It's established in the books that he was no virgin. He could very well have left behind some little Snows in the various places he visited. But what's absolutely clear is that he had no legitimate children.

GRRM states that Brandon had no sons, but could possibly have had some bastard children. So that's why I don't believe he had sons, but it is possible that he might have had a daughter.

GRRM states that Brandon had no sons, but could possibly have had some bastard children. So that's why I don't believe he had sons, but it is possible that he might have had a daughter.

That's a stretch.

In the first SSM, GRRM clearly refers to sons carrying the name Stark. A Snow wouldn't, whether male or female.

That's a stretch.

In the first SSM, GRRM clearly refers to sons carrying the name Stark. A Snow wouldn't, whether male or female.

I can see your point. Though GRRM isn't 100% referring to children carrying the name Stark, as Lyanna's children wouldn't carry the name Stark. :)

In any case, the fact that GRRM specified sons for Brandon, but later talks about bastard children, could be a small nod to Ashara's stillborn daughter, I think.

So far, no boys qualify to have been Brandons son, anyway.

Archived