The Bright Dragon

Third Tail of the Dragon

Old dragon - Aemon and Bloodraven=I dont know who is the Old Dragon,it works both ways.

Young dragon - Jon,his hero is Dareon The Young Dragon.

True dragon - Daenerys obviously,she is the only one who has proved her heritage.

False dragon - FAegon Targaryen,Blackfyre and Brightflame posing as Rhaegar's son

Bright dragon - Varys Brightflame=grandson of Aerion,The Bright Prince.

Dark dragon - Illyrio Blackfyre through the female line.

I hate any theory where Illyrio and Varys are secret Targaryens or Blackfyres, and the Brightflame family line hasn't been talked about enough in my opinion to warrant a surprise reveal by the end of the story...

I'd like to think I and V are plotting to put Aegon or Dany on the throne for their own selfish or noble reasons, not some ah ha moment where they prove they were secret Targs all along...

I hate any theory where Illyrio and Varys are secret Targaryens or Blackfyres, and the Brightflame family line hasn't been talked about enough in my opinion to warrant a surprise reveal by the end of the story...

I'd like to think I and V are plotting to put Aegon or Dany on the throne for their own selfish or noble reasons, not some ah ha moment where they prove they were secret Targs all along...

You should read up on some Varys and Illyrio threads so you will see. check out brightfyre

ALso look at almost any fAegon thread and there will be much discussion about it.

My take:

Young Dragon: Dany, she is the youngest dragon out there

Old Dragon: Aemon/Bloodraven. Aemon is the oldest dragon Tyrion met. On the other hand, he is dead, so maybe the vision talks about Bloodraven, by far the oldest dragon out there.

False Dragon: Faegon. His identity will be questioned, and he will end up being a false dragon (a Blackfyre claiming to be a Targaryen)

True dragon: Jon. His identity will be questioned and he will end up being a true dragon (a true targaryen passing as a Snow/Stark)

Bright Dragon: Varys Brightflame. Descendant of Aerion Brightflame.

Dark Dragon: Illyrio Mopatis, a Blackfyre through female line..

These last two only work if you believe in Faegon Brighfyre theory.

This is my take on it.

Plus Tyrion has met them all (not Dany yet but close). I think the True applies better to Jon as he is a hidden dragon.

Kraken and Dark Flame = Theon and Stannis

Lion and Griffin = Tyrion and Jon Connington

Sun's Son and The Mummer's dragon = Jon and Aegon

I thought Kraken and Dark Flame were Victarion and Moqorro? Victarion is a Kraken, Moqorro is a priest of the Lord of Light (= flame) and has dark skin (= dark)

And I thought the sun's son was Quentyn Martell, as house Martell's sigil has a sun.

My own "out-there" interpretation is that the dragons actually refer to dragons, including Tyrion snarling in the middle.

Tyrion's fate is almost-literally to become a dragon, in much the same sense as Varamyr became a wolf, and that he was inspired by the kinslaying dwarf-turned-dragon Fafnir, of Norse myth.

The young dragons include Dany's dragons.

The old probably include Sheepstealer, still alive on Skagos, the dragon of Winterfell, and the stone dragon reawakened on Dragonstone, and perhaps others (three dragons hatched at Summerhall?).

My own "out-there" interpretation is that the dragons actually refer to dragons, including Tyrion snarling in the middle.

Tyrion's fate is almost-literally to become a dragon, in much the same sense as Varamyr became a wolf, and that he was inspired by the kinslaying dwarf-turned-dragon Fafnir, of Norse myth.

The old probably include Sheepstealer, still alive on Skagos, the dragon of Winterfell, and the stone dragon reawakened on Dragonstone, and perhaps others (three dragons hatched at Summerhall?).

There were no dragons hatched at Summerhall, only dead Targaryens.

None that we know of.

There were also people who survived Summerhall, enough people that if there had been 3 baby dragons scrambling around we would have heard of it.

The winds of change and destiny brought back the dragons when Dany hatched them. That would not be special or important at all (in a literary sense) if there were already 3 dragons walking around.

There were also people who survived Summerhall, enough people that if there had been 3 baby dragons scrambling around we would have heard of it.

If people survived Summerhall, some of them might have smuggled the resulting dragons into hiding somewhere, in accordance with Egg's wishes. And if the dragon or dragons was/were imbued with the spirits of the deceased (ala Varamyr's second life), then they might have the cunning to remain hidden.

But if that does not convince you, there is still Sheepstealer and the Dragon of Winterfell.

The winds of change and destiny brought back the dragons when Dany hatched them. That would not be special or important at all (in a literary sense) if there were already 3 dragons walking around.

It is not clear that the sole literary purpose of Dany's dragons is to glorify her personal power fantasies.

This quote has always seemed to get a lot of people thinking and always has a lot of discussion, though even within this quote the greater concept of Tyrion being associated with all these dragons and "casting a great shadow," is somehow oft ignored whilst discussing this very passage. I've seen people decode so many subtle double-meaning words on these forums from sapphires, arbor gold, even the corn code; all of which picked up on very subtle double meanings and patterns associated with commonly used objects/phrases. Yet through some abstract mystery, on those very forums, the same forums that lock Tyrion threads, run R=L=J in perpetuity, (and not so inconspicuously unjustly erase comments regarding these things) ive never seen a thread that notes how often the term Shadow is associated with dragons, nor how often Tyrion is noted as casting a large shadow.

To the actual dragon identifying discussion... id have to go with

Young Dragon = Jon Old Dragon = Aemon

True Dragon = Dany False = Aegon

Now heres where it gets iffy, but something id like point out is how perfectly those first 4 fit together in terms of the contrasting adjectives being associated with 2 characters who were involved in each others story, i think the best way to think towards the "dark and bright bit" is to understand the relation between the first 4 and assume it will remain this way.

Dark Dragon= While for a while i thought this may be the one referencing a Blackfyre/Aegon, im now entirely on it being Bloodraven, he's certainly a dragon and constantly associates with darkness.

Bright Dragon- My only uncertainty, but im going to go with Melisandre. Again id do so only to maintain the type of coexisting relationship the others showed, and her and Bloodraven may very well soon be at odds as she glimpsed him in her flames

K, lemme know when you can reasonably back up your claim of multiple dragons being hatched at Summerhall and ill disagree with that

Relax dude. It's just speculation. Like this thread asked for.

If the prophesy concerns actual dragons, then there may be some actual "old" dragons out there. Like Sheepstealer ...or other possibilities I mentioned.

GRRM has never once said or implied that Norse mythology has influenced ASOIAF, so I wouldn't count on it.

If people survived Summerhall, some of them might have smuggled the resulting dragons into hiding somewhere, in accordance with Egg's wishes. And if the dragon or dragons was/were imbued with the spirits of the deceased (ala Varamyr's second life), then they might have the cunning to remain hidden.

But if that does not convince you, there is still Sheepstealer and the Dragon of Winterfell.

'there is still Sheepstealer and the Dragon of Winterfell.'

--there is no confirmation either of those exist in ASOIAF. Personally I SERIOUSLY doubt that Sheepstealer (or any character that was only in TPATQ or TRP) will suddenly show back up in the novels after having only been in the short stories. Are there any examples of this happening in ASOIAF as of yet? i can't think of any.......but if someone has an example???

And I am not sure where you are getting the rest of that stuff about the spirits going in to these 3 still hidden dragons....It's not from the text at all, but you should make a thread and explain yourself if you believe this to have happened :)

Archived