Social Justice Warriors, unite!

Ser Scot A Ellison

In games that are strictly first person, gender doesn't matter much to me because the character is almost never important; or, when they are, like Bioshock, the story is closer to a novel than anything else and I'm fine with experiencing it however the writer created it.

But when its third person, or when it switches between the two, I vastly prefer to have a female character. Reason being, I never see the character as a representation of me, but rather as a separate entity that I'm in a partnership with to get through the game. And I feel more comfortable having that partnership with a female character. Also, I'll freely admit that if I'm looking at a TV screen for long periods of times, I'd rather be looking at a woman than a man.

From a purely practical point I'd note that in most 3rd. person games jugs are rather irrelevant since they're on the other end of the character.

Ass wins again?

More seriously, that always struck me as a fairly weirdly defensive arguments "I'm just in it for the bewbs hur hur". As if men feel the need to reflexively justify playing female characters.

From a purely practical point I'd note that in most 3rd. person games jugs are rather irrelevant since they're on the other end of the character.

Ass wins again?

More seriously, that always struck me as a fairly weirdly defensive arguments "I'm just in it for the bewbs hur hur". As if men feel the need to reflexively justify playing female characters.

Its not about T or A, its about the face. Most video game men are ugly as sin, with flat granite faces; I'd much rather see a pretty face during cutscenes/dialog.

But as I said, that's more a secondary component, after the whole partnership thing.

And a third thing is that I usually think the female VAs do a better job than male VAs, particularly when so many of the voiced games I've played either Jennifer Hale or Laura Bailey is the main female VA.

Its not about T or A, its about the face. Most video game men are ugly as sin, with flat granite faces; I'd much rather see a pretty face during cutscenes/dialog.

This was part of my reason for using a fair number of female characters in World of Warcraft -- the male avatars are just poorly done. Especially the Night Elves.

:agree:

I tend to play male/female characters roughly 50-50, depending on the aesthetics of the game. Guild Wars 2, for instance, is a pretty good example of this, where I found both male and female characters to be reasonably pleasant to look at, and I ended up picking gender based on the class/race combo I was going for.

I think that's a fairly interesting distinction with regards to role-playing in general. I don't "project myself" onto characters consciously (though I'm pretty sure you can find aspects of myself in the characters I play) rather I come up with a "character concept" and then play as *that* character. The point, so to speak, is to be "not me". To inhabit *another* character and to think and react as they would.

Perhaps it's just a quirk of the way I speak, but projecting myself onto a character for me doesn't mean that character is me - I have a certain character in mind and then I kind of blend it with my personality to arrive at the way I'm going to play the character.

I'd say that I create the character - usually very nebulous, not a formal D&D type concept but just whatever stories I read between the lines of character creation, appearance, class, animation and voice attitude, and visible backstory - and then I inhabit that character entirely, removing myself from my self. But since she is my own mostly unconscious creation, she is, in many ways, myself, translated into a new context wherein the dissonance that pervades most of my life is relieved. Doing the same with a male character either retains or, more recently, exacerbates the dissonance - not something to expose oneself to for entertainment. Can think of it as in some respects similar to ptsd triggers (I've heard for some people it literally is this) - what seems a minor or trivial complaint to most is a major issue to individuals who have previously experienced that 'minor' trauma multiplied a billionfold. straw that breaks back etc.

my case and karaddin's is obv. fairly unusual though as most women are not dealing with decades long history of being gaslighted with male identity in every aspect of life.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's all rather stupid. It's "sexist" because he's a male and decided to wear a shirt that did not depict numerous male forms--or a combination of the two. The objection is derived not because of any offense targeted towards particular females, but the abstract female group. (Because women in any sexual depiction is by nature "sexist.") He was part of a mission that successfully placed a probe on a moving comet, but these SJW's are concerned with an overt display of his possible sexuality.

Hahaha. Guy representing an entire team of people wears crass shirt during world televised event, some people call him out on it, and you're all "these social justice warriors have gone toooooo far"! You guys are hilarious. And dumb as Shit.

I suppose you all wear whatever you want to work, being the free thinking uninhibited rebels that you are. Fuck presenting a professional appearance you say to yourself as you don your g string speedos and forgo your pants.

Hahaha. Guy representing an entire team of people wears crass shirt during world televised event, some people call him out on it, and you're all it's "these social justice warriors have gone toooooo far"! You guys are hilarious. And dumb as Shit.

I suppose you all wear whatever you want to work, being the free thinking uninhibited rebels that you are. Fuck presenting a professional appearance you say to yourself as you don your g string speedos and forgo your pants.

"Crass?" He could've been in a Nazi Uniform with a Ku Klux hood, and it wouldn't have been pertinent to what he represented. Turn that around, and bring under the same scope, female lawyers who are thrown out of court rooms because their attire exposes too much "skin," would the SJW's bring up the issue of "professionalism" then? The objection to his attire isn't based on its appropriateness in a formal setting. It's being labeled sexist. One doesn't have to be a "rebel" to see that they're just grasping at straws.

"Crass?" He could've been in a Nazi Uniform with a Ku Klux hood, and it wouldn't have been pertinent to what he represented. Turn that around, and bring under the same scope, female lawyers who are thrown out of court rooms because their attire exposes too much "skin," would the SJW's bring up the issue of "professionalism" then? The objection to his attire isn't based on its appropriateness in a formal setting. It's being labeled sexist. One doesn't have to be a "rebel" to see that they're just grasping at straws.

I don't even know what the hell your point here is. Nazi uniform? What? Had he worn one he would have been fired right on the spot, and rightfully so. Your usage of "sjw" isn't helping you either, since you are lumping God knows how any people into a group that you feel is an easy target for your derision. That's the equivalent of me lumping you into a category I decide to label "obnoxious moron" and running with it. Not conducive towards healthy debate, in the slightest.

Anyway, Do you have a job? Are you expected to present a professional appearance? Are you allowed to wear images of half naked women on your apparel at work?

Hahaha. Guy representing an entire team of people wears crass shirt during world televised event, some people call him out on it, and you're all "these social justice warriors have gone toooooo far"! You guys are hilarious. And dumb as Shit.

It was unprofessional, but that's not why the SJWs were upset.

It was unprofessional, but that's not why the SJWs were upset.

you see, that right there just makes you sound really fucking stupid. Such incredibly lazy thinking. Who are these people you are referring to? Do they all dislike the shirt for the same reason? How do you know that to be true? Do you have god like mind reading powers? Like, where the fuck are you getting your information? Do you sit on twitter all day long reading and categorizing posts? Do you have a giant master list of social justice warriors?

I have read some comments in regards to the shirt, and they started with "ugly", ranged into "unprofessional" and SOME decried it as "sexist". I'll go with crass, ugly, and in bad taste, personally.

Yeah, it's all rather stupid. It's "sexist" because he's a male and decided to wear a shirt that did not depict numerous male forms--or a combination of the two. The objection is derived not because of any offense targeted towards particular females, but the abstract female group. (Because women in any sexual depiction is by nature "sexist.") He was part of a mission that successfully placed a probe on a moving comet, but these SJW's are concerned with an overt display of his possible sexuality.

Yeah, everything you said is pretty stupid. That is to say, your twisted interpretation, which of course you share with Commodore to justify your collective whining. Who are you people to say what SJWs are actually concerned with, when you can't even come to agree on a real definition of "SJW" (not that we really need a definition: it's your version of "poopiehead" but more edgy and hip)?

So what if he was part of a mission that placed a probe on a moving comet? That's got nothing to do with his shirt or the attention given it. This argument, which you and the blog-whine Commodore linked to seem to make, suggests that two wrongs make a right. Give him a break on the issue of sexism, because he has a cool job so it cancels out somehow. Nonsense!

But, the troglodytes have to caterwaul, and so here we are. Again.

you see, that right there just makes you sound really fucking stupid. Such incredibly lazy thinking. Who are these people you are referring to? Do they all dislike the shirt for the same reason? How do you know that to be true? Do you have god like mind reading powers? Like, where the fuck are you getting your information? Do you sit on twitter all day long reading and categorizing posts? Do you have a giant master list of social justice warriors?

I have read some comments in regards to the shirt, and they started with "ugly", ranged into "unprofessional" and SOME decried it as "sexist". I'll go with crass, ugly, and in bad taste, personally.

Bloggers from some prominent websites (The Atlantic, The Verge) said the shirt was sexist. Pretty much the dictionary definition of SJWs. Losers that write derivative blog posts about achievers.

Obviously the tackiness wasn't the issue. He wouldn't have felt compelled to give a tearful apology for wearing a shirt with disney characters on it.

Athias, Commodore- What kind of response do you really expect when you show up on an international broadcast dressed like that? I fully support your right to wear W ever TF you want to work, but at the same time, you have to be prepared for the obvious and forthcoming human response to it. For example, I often wear tie-dye to work when the weather's nice, but I don't get all bent out of shape or start raging about Uptight Squares when people treat me like I'm some kind of stoner.

Maybe this dude just likes the shirt. But at least be self-aware enough to know that people will judge you for wearing something so atypical. If he wore a shirt with a bunch of giant dicks and vaginas printed all over it I'm sure we'd still be questioning his judgment. But hey, it's just a shirt!

Bloggers from some prominent websites (The Atlantic, The Verge) said the shirt was sexist. Pretty much the dictionary definition of SJWs. Losers that write derivative blog posts about achievers.

Obviously the tackiness wasn't the issue. He wouldn't have felt compelled to give a tearful apology for wearing a shirt with disney characters on it.

So SOME people said it was sexist. Gotcha. What's the problem?

Archived