Miri Maz Dur's intentions

Arya Weinergaryen

I know this is a contentious topic, but it's one I have thought a lot about. I wanted to see what other people thought. MMD's speech to Denaerys made it clear that the blood magic ritual was designed to kill her baby, and leave Drogo with a baked brain. My question though, is what do people think, textually, Miri Maz Dur's initial intentions were, upon polticing Drogo's wound. We know it was not a particularly grievous wound, but, then, it wouldn't have to be to lead to sepsis. We know that his wound became badly infected after he tore off the poultice and slathered it with mud. It seems possible that Miri Maz Dur treated him as she felt bound to, as a gods wife, but took the opportunity to be rid of him and the Stallion Who Will Mount the World, once he fell ill. It seems also possible that she poulticed him with something designed to cause infection or pain, or delay healing, etc. obviously she had no love for the Dothraki, despite Denaerys's "benevolence" to her. Putting aside the morality of her final actions (because that discussion being indivisible from moral discussions with contemporary morals, is untenable and profitable) what do you think her initial intentions were?

I think she knew that he wouldn't follow the guidelines from the beginning. She told him not to drink the nasty horse milk, and he did. She told him not to take the milk of the poppy, and he did. She knew what she was doing from the beginning. It was premeditated, and she knew how the poultice would interact with the other drugs. Measter Cresson could've learned how to off someone the right way from her.

I don't think she was trying to kill Drogo from the beginning and I think the poultice was genuine (even if she probably guessed he would take it off). Dany did, after all, save her life and she has also unwittingly named the price - help Drogo - which MMD complied with. With her debt settled she was a free agent to act at will and having learned about the prophecy about the STMTW she took her chance when Dany requested her help AGAIN. In both cases she does just enough to comply with the order while withholding crucial information she was not specifically asked for.

In this I agree with the "Dornish Master Plan" theory; that Rhaego wouldn't have died if Dany hadn't been brought into the tent. Had she stayed out, like she was told, Rhaego probably would've lived.

'Only death can pay for life." All things being equal, whatever forces that were involved would likely take the easiest life to steal, which in this case was the unborn child. All that being said, MMD definitely mislead Dany by omission about Drogo's state after she "saved" him.

In this I agree with the "Dornish Master Plan" theory; that Rhaego wouldn't have died if Dany hadn't been brought into the tent. Had she stayed out, like she was told, Rhaego probably would've lived.

'Only death can pay for life." All things being equal, whatever forces that were involved would likely take the easiest life to steal, which in this case was the unborn child. All that being said, MMD definitely mislead Dany by omission about Drogo's state after she "saved" him.

I am inclined to agree about how and Rhego died.

I think she did as she was asked. Knowing that Drogo wasn't going to follow her instructions does not make her actions to save him malicious. If she hadn't done anything he just would have died sooner.

I think Rhaego was going to die anyway because when Daenerys as much as said she was tricked MMD replied "You knew the price." To me that says that on some level Dany's subconcious understood but her conscious mind couldn't deal with the truth so she told herself that the horse was the sacrifice.

OT: she also did not say Dany was barren. She was expecting her to get dragged back to the Dosh Khaleen at Vaes Dothrak and have no more opportunities to get pregnant. MMD knows the Dothraki, she just underestimated Dany's ability to override the customs of her followers.

I find it suspicious that she offered help. I don't think it was out of benevolence, or duty - that just doesn't match up with her later characterisation. I think she did it because it gave her access to Drogo, and the opportunity to enact revenge.

The poultice was probably the real deal, though. Whether or not MMD meant for it to work for Drogo, I don't know, but it seems her endgoal was always to hurt him/his khalasar in some way.

I personally find MMD to be a complete idiot. Killing Drogo and claiming to have saved lives is completely nonsensical, its like saying that when the US kills a Colombian drug dealer that they have somehow prevented Cocain from getting into America, as if someone else isn't going to immediately replace them. In Drago's case you had a man who altho seemed like any other Khal was actually able to be swayed on things by Dany, and in any case had only 1 khalasar that could attack only 1 village at a time. Now there's half a dozen attacking half a dozen villages at once. Great job MMD.

I personally find MMD to be a complete idiot. Killing Drogo and claiming to have saved lives is completely nonsensical, its like saying that when the US kills a Colombian drug dealer that they have somehow prevented Cocain from getting into America, as if someone else isn't going to immediately replace them. In Drago's case you had a man who altho seemed like any other Khal was actually able to be swayed on things by Dany, and in any case had only 1 khalasar that could attack only 1 village at a time. Now there's half a dozen attacking half a dozen villages at once. Great job MMD.

Well it was actually Rhaego who was the key there. The Stallion Who Mounts the World was going to do a heck of a lot more damage with a fully united Dothraki people behind him than these arrogant, squabbling little khals who spend too much time challenging each other to get it together and run the whole continent, let alone the world.

So there is some reasoning to her logic. Still a bad idea, but I can see how based on her experience she thought she was preventing a lot of misery.

Her mistake was the same one everyone else made, thinking the baby was the threat when it's actually Dany. Do you think maybe the language misled them for a thousand years?

Archived