Are Jaime and Brienne being set up to have a sexual relationship?

Robb_Warged

I disagree with your last statement. Jaime goes back for Brienne when he dreams of her (the fact that he's dreaming of her at all..); he gets aroused in the bathhouse and tries to excuse it away as just his bodies natural reaction; he thinks of her quite a bit in ASOS and AFFC; he goes with her at the end of AFFC, almost no questions asked. And like I said, their sword fight in ASOS is quite innuendo-y. Jaime definitelycares for Brienne.

Brienne is a foil to Cersei, IMO. And I think Jaime is starting to see that.

Cersei is beautiful/ Brienne is not described as such, apart from her eyes. And of course Cersei's are green and Brienne's are the opposite, blue.

Cersei is very sexual/ Brienne is a maid

Cersei uses her sexual nature to get what she wants/ Brienne uses a sword

Cersei breaks oaths and promises/ Brienne is literally carrying a sword called Oathkeeper.

The thing about Jaime is that when he is not with her as in aFFC, he does not think about her that much and if he does, it's only with relation to her mission to find Sansa, or to smash bastards who speak badly about her with a golden hand. You can compare how much Brienne things about Jaime in a completely random situations and how much Jaime things about her. In Jaime's case it's much less, his mind is occupied with Cersei much, much more.

Jaime surely respects and cares about her, but does he love her?

Jaime goes back for Brienne when he dreams of her (the fact that he's dreaming of her at all..);

Jaime goes back for Brienne because his guilt took over him and that dream was in no way romantic, really. If anything, that dream was kinda a nightmare.

he gets aroused in the bathhouse and tries to excuse it away as just his bodies natural reaction

But it was just a natural reaction of his body, he got aroused by Pia a day later, guess he is in love with her as well?

he thinks of her quite a bit in ASOS and AFFC

And that is my problem with Jaime loving Brienne, he doesn't really think about her that much in FFC.

he goes with her at the end of AFFC, almost no questions asked

Because of Sansa, not because of Brienne

their sword fight in ASOS is quite innuendo-y

Well, Jaime not once compared swordfight with sex. Seems like it's his usual thing.

He may really love her but I don't think it's really evident at the moment.

The thing about Jaime is that when he is not with her as in aFFC, he does not think about her that much and if he does, it's only with relation to her mission to find Sansa, or to smash bastards who speak badly about her with a golden hand. You can compare how much Brienne things about Jaime in a completely random situations and how much Jaime things about her. In Jaime's case it's much less, his mind is occupied with Cersei much, much more.

Jaime surely respects and cares about her, but does he love her?

He hits someone with a golden hand for disrespecting her. He cares for her. Even if, right now, it's not purely romantic Jaime, he defend her when he didn't have to. I never said it was love. I said he has feelings for her. And those are slowly growing.

He hits someone with a golden hand for disrespecting her. He cares for her. Even if, right now, it's not purely romantic Jaime, he defend her when he didn't have to. I never said it was love. I said he has feelings for her. And those are slowly growing.

Cares about her, yes, respects her, yes. But you don't need to have romantic feelings for a woman to punch in the face those, who speak badly about her. If anything, after what that Connington said about Brienne, it was almost Jaime's duty to hit him considering how much Jaime respects her. So even thought Jaime may have some romantic feelings towards her, this is not an evidence of those.

It's definitely happening; there are way too many foreshadowings or clues pointing towards it for it not to be intentional, and GRRM always follows through on that kind of thing.

And for what it's worth, I'm going against the crowd here and pulling for both of them to survive the series. I figure there's got to be at least one Lannister who doesn't end up getting entirely screwed over by the end, and I give Jaime better odds than Tyrion.

It's definitely happening; there are way too many foreshadowings or clues pointing towards it for it not to be intentional, and GRRM always follows through on that kind of thing.

And for what it's worth, I'm going against the crowd here and pulling for both of them to survive the series. I figure there's got to be at least one Lannister who doesn't end up getting entirely screwed over by the end, and I give Jaime better odds than Tyrion.

It'd be nice if there was one semi-happy ending. *yeah, I know...unlikely...*

I pretty much agree with BearQueen87 on the possibilities of Jaime's demise and their relationship etc. However, as much as I think they are falling in love (not the love at first sight sort of love, but the gradual development of love that comes with companionship, common cause and motives, respect and friendship) I am sitting on the fence as to whether it will become a physical relationship. I think Jaime's whole story is tragic and it won't stop here. If they do consummate their love it will be a one time thing so she doesn't die a maid but there won't be time for much more than that as events are moving too quickly... Not sure if she would fall pregnant on her first (.perhaps only?) sexual encounter. Would be sweet if she did though. :-)

Mind you I keep thinking about the weir wood stump dream and think Jaime at some stage will face a trial with Dany over his kingslaying of Aerys and that would suggest Brienne would still be together after events in KL with Cersei unfold... arrggghhh! What a great story that makes you think so much and question everything! Sorry, not trying to derail this thread...

Hopefully not. It'd be better if they both survived and remained good friends. I'm hoping that Hyle Hunt survives too. His remorse over the way Brienne was treated in Renly's camp seems to be genuine and he's put himself at considerable risk fighting next to her. Some kind of friendship/eventual marriage between the two would seem appropriate.

GRRM loves the beauty/beast trope so they'll probably have some kind of romantic scene/s. whether its just them fully realizing/acknowledging their feelings, a kiss or sex...whatever it is, i'm sure they'll be some kind of payoff.

them getting married, having babies or in a fully fledged out relationship though..........NOPE i do not see that happening at all. firstly because there's just not enough time for that. neither jaime or brienne have anything to do with the endgame of dragons or the others. they're not one of three heads of the dragons or have the powers of arya and bran. and no i do not believe that either of them is azor ahai either....that is jon snow.

also while the jaime/cersei romantic relationship is over, i don't think they'll ever be emotionally done with each other. and while jaime is greatly disillusioned with her at this point and there are many feelings of anger, resentment and apathy, i don't think he's ever going to completely get over her lol and i actually think that he still loves her even though he's burned her letter. plus he's also the most likely candidate for the valonqar........which in itself dispels a jaime/brienne happily living ever after ending imo.

I do not think they will.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of them died never finding out the others feelings, it would fit in with this world much better than a random night of passion between doomed soulmates.

And the blood on her thigh?

Not everything that happens had to be foreshadowing.

Buuuut I seem to be alone in this opinion!!

Edit: spelling

Yes.

The wound Jaime gave to Brienne during their fight. Blood between Brienne's legs.

This made me go and reread that part. Indeed, that's quite a very good foreshadowing.

Also, in Clash, Cersei kinda says that Jaime told her that he has only felt alive during battle and when having sex. He has had sex with Cersei, and the only woman he has fought has been Brienne. She can do both with Brienne =D

Archived