What religion, if any, do the Dornish follow?

This has probably been discussed before, but I've recently finished reading the series for the first time and one thing I never really picked up on was the religious beliefs in Dorne - I know there were references to "Mother Rhoyne" and worshipping the Greenblood (I think? -again, not quite clear on this part), but I got the impression that this was a more localised religion, and Dorne is a pretty big place. All the other kingdoms seem to follow pretty strict religious patterns - Faith of the Seven in the Crownlands, Stormlands, Riverlands and Reach, old gods in the North and the Neck, Drowned God on the Iron Islands... but Dorne was never really specified.

The Dornish belief systems regarding inheritance, homosexuality and polygamy are very different to the rest of Westeros, which I believe comes from their Rhoynar ancestry, but I wondered if this stemmed from a religious sect as well as ancestral.

The reason I ask is because I have read that many R+L=J supporters believe that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married and thus Jon is legitimate...I personally don't believe there's enough evidence, mainly because the Faith wouldn't allow polygamy as far as I'm aware; however, marrying in the light of a different religion would make their union more legitimate and thus Jon could be a potential heir.

So my question is, which god, or gods, do the Dornish worship? Does it come from the Andals and the pre-Aegon the Conqueror era (though I doubt the six kingdoms' religion would influence Dorne whilst they were still independent), or their Rhoynar ancestry, or some other source? Again, apologies if I've just been obtuse and overlooked all of this - it's only my first time through the series!

They follow the Seven. While the Rhoynar made a large cultural impact on Dorne, mainly with Nymeria marrying into the Martells, I don't believe they make up a large percentage of the Dornish population.

The Orphans of the Greenblood likely follow the Rhoynar religions.

The Dornishmen follow the Seven, in general. We know that they have done so before Dorne joined the Seven Kingdoms: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Concerning_Dorne

.1. Well, okay. Before the unification of Dorne with the rest of the Seven Kingdoms, what did they do for a High Septon? Was there an Antipope-type of rival supported by the Martells? An Archsepton of Sunspear? Or did Dorne accept the High Septon, despite being based in King's Landing and beholden to the Targaryens?

The Faith is not limited to the Seven Kingdoms proper, any more than the medieval Church was limited to Italy. So no, no Dornish antipopes. And the High Septon was not especially "beholden" to the Targaryens. In fact, he was a dangerous rival... well, until the reign of Maegor the Cruel, at least.

However, the Red Faith seems to be a significant minority, based on Tyene's comment.

The septs are packed to bursting, and the red priests have lit their temple fires.

This indicates that the red temples have Dornish followers, unlike Oldtown's temple or the Braavosi Sept.

Also, the Orphans of the Greenblood keep to the polytheism of the ancient Rhoynar.

The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven.

I just covered for the next 20 would-be posters.

Seriously though, it's interesting; Dorne is not connotative as a religious place. Might go with their liberal social attitude. P.S: Planky Town is by Oldtown, not Dorne.

The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven.

Seriously though, it's interesting; Dorne is not connotative as a religious place. Might go with their liberal social attitude. P.S: Planky Town is by Oldtown, not Dorne.

They believe in the Old Gods.

Planky Town is by Sunspear.

Good God. I am truly a moron, and you are truly awesome. Oops.

^(nice avatar)

Good God. I am truly a moron, and you are truly awesome. Oops.

^(nice avatar)

hahahaha, no problem.

Just to keep OT, Arianne remembers to have lighten candles to the Maiden when she was meant to visit Willas to marry him. She also says that the friends who were in the Queenmaking plan were seven, like the Seven, a signal. So, at least the Martells are in a way, religious.

Archived