What would the effects of Wildfire plot 2.0 be? (Possible spoilers?)

Stannatic

Assuming all of the resources from the original plot are still in place, let's assume for a moment that someone like Cersei uncovers their existence. When the writing is on the wall and she sees that she is effectively finished and her rule over she grows determined to take the whole capital down with her and ignites all the stored wildfire, destroying the whole city and taking everyone in it with her. Let's assume for a moment that means all of the characters that were in KL at the end of the last novel go down with her. What happens to the rest of Westeros?

Jaime spent 15 years pouting instead of telling what he knew. Tyrion was too concerned about his own butt to care about anyone else's. The end result will be the explosion of King's Landing and the death of countless people. Don't know what will set it off. But later, Jaime and Tyrion will burn in Hell forever.

Jaime spent 15 years pouting instead of telling what he knew. Tyrion was too concerned about his own butt to care about anyone else's. The end result will be the explosion of King's Landing and the death of countless people. Don't know what will set it off. But later, Jaime and Tyrion will burn in Hell forever.

Dany finally gets to westeros with her dragons, there is a brief fight but she takes over. Later as she is sitting on the iron throne for the first time, Drogon decides to let offa little steam, as it were, and POOOFFFF! So ends the tale of Dany and her 3 dragons.....

And all of Kings Landing too....

I thought all the caches of wildfire were collected by Tyrion's pyromancers.

They said there were hidden caches underneath KL.

Dany finally gets to westeros with her dragons, there is a brief fight but she takes over. Later as she is sitting on the iron throne for the first time, Drogon decides to let offa little steam, as it were, and POOOFFFF! So ends the tale of Dany and her 3 dragons.....

And all of Kings Landing too....

I think it is more likely Cersei ignites it given her consistent associations with wildfire and Mad King Aerys.

Here is the relevant part:

"[...]His Grace commanded his alchemists to place caches of wildfire all over King's Landing. Beneath Baelor's Sept and the hovels of Flea Bottom, under stables and storehouses, at all seven gates, even in the cellars of the Red Keep itself".

"[...]by rights they ought to have been destroyed, but so many of our masters were murdered during the Sack of King's Landing, the few acolytes who remained were unequal to the task. And much of the stock we made for Aerys was lost. Only last year, two hundred jars were discovered in a storeroom beneath the Great Sept of Baelor. No one could recall how they came there, but I'm sure I do not need to tell you that the High Septon was beside himself with terror[...]".

First paragraph is what Jaime remembers. Second part talks about what they didn't found: some was hidden under Baelor's Sept and were put in a safe place. I suppose they eventually found some of those who were under the Red Keep. But the rest, they had no idea where in the city the rest of the jars are.

It would be much more thematic and fulfilling (in a weird way) to have Cersei purposefully ignite the Red Keep as opposed to it being an accident somehow.

Here's my take on what will happen...

"Cersei knew that it was over, Jaime could see it in her eyes. The look of panic was enough to make Jaime want to burst through the gate and kill the whole army knocking on their door with his own hands. But the lack of panic quickly turned into something utterly terrifying. A smile. A smile and three short, sharp words. 'Burn them all' she said, turning to Qyburn and the Pyromancer.

The words stabbed through the heart of Jaime as he had stabbed the Mad King the last time he heard those words. He couldn't let this happen, not again. He ran to stop the two from getting away but he knew it was useless, one of them would get away no matter what.

He quickly turned back to Cersei, who had began walking towards the throne. She sat down with a swift careless turn and sliced open her arm from elbow to wrist. She scarcely seemed to notice. 'She's gone mad,' thought Jaime, as he ran back towards her. "CERSEI. Stop them! Qyburn and the Pyromancer, command them back. You don't know what you're doing!'

'Sweet brother, I know exactly what I'm doing. I'm letting him be King over the Ashes.' she replied. The way she said it gave him chills. The Mad King had said it with fire in his voice. Her voice sounded no different from when they laid together in bed. Jaime grabbed her and pulled her close, but not in the way he made love to her. He grabbed his lover by her neck and began to squeeze. 'Bring them back...please.' he begged as the tears fell down his face. She said nothing and Jaime squeezed all the harder. Cersei's life began to slip away from her, she turned pale white, like the color of the snow in Winterfell, to purple, the way Joffrey, their son. had looked during his last breath.

Jaime looked away and felt the life slither out of Cersei's limp body. It was over. He had stopped the Mad King years ago with his golden sword. But his golden hand wasn't enough to stop the Mad Queen. "A life of cruel irony." He took one last look at Cersei, she had been his lover, his friend, his rock. A rock far greater than the one his Father offered him. Yet he had rejected her just the same. Jaime wept. And the tears felt like fire."

Excuse my writing skills, I just typed it up quickly. But I've always seen something like this as being the perfect ending to their storyline.

Cersei will probably wait until Dany has the city under siege & is flying around the city on her dragon... Then Cersei will blow the entire city up, but she will escape somehow & make her way to Casterly Rock, where she will try & rule from. The Destruction of King's landing will be blamed on Dany...

Cersei will probably wait until Dany has the city under siege & is flying around the city on her dragon... Then Cersei will blow the entire city up, but she will escape somehow & make her way to Casterly Rock, where she will try & rule from. The Destruction of King's landing will be blamed on Dany...

I disagree, Dany might well be the one that forces Cersei to action but I don't think Cersei is going back to the rock. She's destined to die in King's Landing. I question if we'll ever actually see Casterly Rock.

I think it will be Aegon who forces Cersei out of KL. Didn't GRRM comment that multiple people would sit the IT before the end? Aegon will take KL before him and Dany fight.

What happens to the rest of Westeros?

Well, to answer this part, there would probably be shock and whatever but I imagine it wouldn't take long to sort out. The capital would possibly be moved to Oldtown, while KL is presumably rebuilt or a new capital is built. The king would just be the next in line who's still alive. Some relation of Robert, anyway. Life goes on. Just a lot of them will be ended.

Somewhere around, there is a very interesting thread where the OP suggests that the cold damp part of the dungeon where Varys doesn't carry any light might be where that stash of wildfire was kept. A couple of us toyed with the idea and proposed that Varys might intend to use wildfire to help Aegon win KL by destroying the Red Keep with everyone in it, thus effectively removing the Lannister leadership and emulating the first Aegon's victory with dragonfire.

Tommen will die, Cersei will poison Myrcella & set fire to Kings Landing. Jaime will arrive to late to save the city this time, but fulfil his role as the volanqar & stab her through the heart in the throne room, Jaime will then die beside the woman he loved.

A big old Lannister mess!

Tommen will die, Cersei will poison Myrcella & set fire to Kings Landing. Jaime will arrive to late to save the city this time, but fulfil his role as the volanqar & stab her through the heart in the throne room, Jaime will then die beside the woman he loved.

A big old Lannister mess!

Now that's interesting! Myrcella would be the one that Maggy the Frog had told Cersei about! "Aye. Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear."

Cersei had always worried that it would be Sansa or Margaery but in the end, it's her own daughter (with the help of the Martell's) who bring down Cersei.

Archived