Is Braavos Amsterdam?

King of Vaes Tolorro

Amsterdam was part of the Dutch Republic, one of the first republics since the classical age. It was a city of canals, religious tolerance, and banks. It was very prosperous., a it was location of the world's first stock exchange. The water of Amsterdam was described by many, including John Adams to be foul.

Braavos is a Free City with many canals. It has temples dedicated to all the gods of all its inhabitants, a melting pot of religions. The Iron Bank is an infamous part of its society. It is very prosperous, but its water is very brackish.

Is Braavos based on Amsterdam?

Partially.

Another influence would be Venice. And even London.

London?

I don't see it. Roman square mike plus Anglo-Saxon western version plus gradual then huge expansion in all directions including across the major tributary whose crossing formed the basis of it's existence? Zero canals until Victorian era, and then as feeders, not arteries.

What am I not seeing?

Don't mean this anywhere as confrontational as I might sound...lol. Generally interested/curious.

More like Venice.

You have to remember that Venice was very progressive for its time. Being on the trade routes, it combined a lot of eastern and western ideas.

Granted no single aspect of ASOIAF is based on one single refference. So I suspect Braavos to be an amalgum of Venice, a bit of Rhodes, maybe Amsterdam, maybe Byzantium, and other cities....

Braavos is basically a mixture between Venice (mostly), mythical Rhodes (the statue) with a little Bruges sprinkeld on top of it (though Bruges also appears to be the model for Myr in some aspects).

Exactly, I think Rhodes and Carthage more than Amsterdam or Venice, although I suppose it's a bit of all of them.

Tbh I'd cite Venice as primary. From the foundation myth to the basic geography to the swaggering bravos looking for a fight, courtesan culture thing. The ship a day is a reference to both Venice and Carthage, I believe. But I agree it's a composite.

I do have to admit, the idea of the slaves founding Braavos, hiding on their little islands in the swamp and fog does make me think about how it is said Venice got it's start, people hiding out there from all the rampaging conflicts on the Italian penninsula, excuse my mangling of historical facts, LOL

Tbh I'd cite Venice as primary. From the foundation myth to the basic geography to the swaggering bravos looking for a fight, courtesan culture thing. The ship a day is a reference to both Venice and Carthage, I believe. But I agree it's a composite.

LOL see above post, we seem to have posted at the same time.

Sterotypically, it sounds more Venice than Amsterdam. The canals, the Iron Bank, yes, but there's also the navy, which is Venice, and then there are the bravos, the assassins, the creepy skin masks which reminded me of carnival, and the general weirdness. Also, their language grew out of Valyrian the way Italian grew out of Latin.

Archived