Is Braavos Amsterdam?

King of Vaes Tolorro

It's mainly Venice, with Bruges and Rhodos tacked on top. Bruges has the eldest stock market in the world btw, dating back to at least 1309 IIRC. The word Bourse is even derived from the Van Der Buerse family who owned the place.

Can someone elaborate about the Iron Bank equivalent of Venice? I know the Fuggers learned banking in Venice, but has there been a similar dominant organisation? The Camera Frumenti perhaps?

Well looking at a particularly unsavory aspect of medieval and renaissance European culture it is worth mentioning that Venice contained one of the largest and oldest established ghettos in Europe. Anyone who knows anything about medieval Jewish history knows money lending was one of the few trades the Jews were allowed to practice as non-Christians they were exempt from church laws forbidding usury. Venice being a trading port the Jewish population providing a ready source of available capital were an essential part of the city's economy and as a result arguably were slightly more tolerated by the Christian population than elsewhere in Europe.

The association of money lending and the Jews particularly with Venice in the late medieval and Renaissance mind is probably best illustrated by the one Shakespearean play set entirely in Venice which also features Venice in the title the Merchant of Venice. The decidedly anti-Semitic portrayal of Shylock and his infamous obsession of getting his 'pound of flesh' is somewhat echoed by the Iron Bank's promise to 'have its due'.

Well looking at a particularly unsavory aspect of medieval and renaissance European culture it is worth mentioning that Venice contained one of the largest and oldest established ghettos in Europe. Anyone who knows anything about medieval Jewish history knows money lending was one of the few trades the Jews were allowed to practice as non-Christians they were exempt from church laws forbidding usury. Venice being a trading port the Jewish population providing a ready source of available capital were an essential part of the city's economy and as a result arguably were slightly more tolerated by the Christian population than elsewhere in Europe.

The association of money lending and the Jews particularly with Venice in the late medieval and Renaissance mind is probably best illustrated by the one Shakespearean play set entirely in Venice which also features Venice in the title the Merchant of Venice. The decidedly anti-Semitic portrayal of Shylock and his infamous obsession of getting his 'pound of flesh' is somewhat echoed by the Iron Bank's promise to 'have its due'.

This is true, but like I mentioned earlier, I believe the chief inspiration of the Iron Bank was the Medici. Particularly its influence on the political powers of the times.

It's mainly Venice, with Bruges and Rhodos tacked on top. Bruges has the eldest stock market in the world btw, dating back to at least 1309 IIRC. The word Bourse is even derived from the Van Der Buerse family who owned the place.

And, I see you're doing the historical sweet talk, too? LOL

I've always, minus a touch of climate, thought Venice and as mentioned previously, Carthage for the actual description of the naval arsenal and Rhodes for the idea of going through the Titan's legs. How do I mange to always post things that seem........to be innuendo? I SWEAR, that wasn't my first intent.

Me thinks the Lady doth protest too much..... Lol you knew EXACTLY what you were doing....

No, honest. It came to me, HA, as I was typing that bit about going through the Titan's legs. Hey, can ya blame me? With a name like Titan...how could I not be hopeful, LOL

I see some similarities between Braavos and Amsterdam, but I've always thought of it as Venice.

Venice and Braavos have so many parallels (both geographically and culturally - especially in the Middle Ages). Both are/have:

- Comprised of about 100 islands connected by bridges and canals with boats as the main form of transportation and a main canal running through the heart of the city

- Located in the northern part of the sea (but climates don't match)

- Sinking below water. In Braavos there is the Drowned Town which has already sunk so far only the tops of buildings are visible and we know this is happening in Venice too

- Settled by refugees - Venice was settled by Romans fleeing invaders like Braavos was settled by slaves fleeing the dragonlords

- Ruled by similar officials. The Sealord of Braavos is based on the Doge of Venice - both are elected into their office, which is held for life and not hereditary. They both live in castles referred to as palaces (Sealord's Palace/Doge's Palace)

- Seafaring cultures

- Huge trade ports

- Naval powers

- Progressive with religious freedom

- Wealthy

- Duels over honor - Like with Bravos and their slender blades, Venetians were really sensitive about their honor and would duel with the slender stilettos over slights

- Freedom from social restrictions - During Carnivale in Venice, people wore masks during the festivities that allowed them to mix easily among social classes and gave citizens the chance to say anything they wanted to. Mummers are able to say anything they want and mock authority in Braavos.

- Famous courtesans and courtesans can achieve a higher social status

I also think its funny that there is a famous Venetian painter named Titian, which looks an awful lot like Titan.

wow thats interesting. Amsterdam commonly advertises itself as the world's first stock exchange, but it seems to have simply expanded on the practices in Bruges who in turn were inspired by North Italians. I'm sticking to my first answer: Amsterdam, Bruges and Venice.

Archived