Have you ever been as fanatical about any books as much as ASOIAF?

Fanless Mace

I think it's interesting that Narnia hasn't made this list. (I'm not adding it either; as the OP, I just thought when I started the topic that we'd have a few Aslan-ists among us. Certainly, I'm not the only one of us who read those.)

Clearly, this lot leans towards HP and LOTR big time, as expected. No surprise there. We like books with dark sides and lots of characters to like and not like and fight over, and we like a healthy dose of socio-political intrigue. Plus, dragons.

Just taking notes. Carry on...

Harry Potter. I was 12 when I read Potter for the first time (2002 so it was before Order came out). I was 17 when the series finished. I was able to attend 3 midnight releases for the last three books and never ripped through a novel so fast. That series will always have a special place in my heart because it opened my imagination back when I was 12 years old and thought books were dumb and for school projects only. It's basically the foundation for my adult obsession with ASoIaF.

For me i'd have to say "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" By Stephen Donaldson was my first craze.It was the book that i couldn't and still to this day can't let go ( its still going). Harry Potter was another one that hooked me.I'm not into romance novels but recently a friend convinced me to watch the Outlander series on Starz because she thought i'd enjoy the time travel element. I read books 1-5 in three days and i'm hooked and i'm a fan.Dear i say a fanatic.

Harry Potter. I was 12 when I read Potter for the first time (2002 so it was before Order came out). I tore through Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber, Prisoner, and Goblet in a little over a month. I was 17 when the series finished. I was able to attend 3 midnight releases for the last three books and never ripped through a novel so fast. That series will always have a special place in my heart because it opened my imagination back when I was 12 years old and thought books were dumb and for school projects only. It's basically the foundation for my adult obsession with ASoIaF.

I get fanatical about...a lot of things. I've written Harry Potter fanfic, essays on how magic, ablism, sexism and society in general work in Rowling's world. I have written character essays on Thomas Barrow from Downton Abbey, shipping essays for ASoIaF, character essays, defences and fanfic for Fanny Price from Mansfield Park, essays on Canon!Holmes/Watson, Garak/Bashir, Rizzoli/Isles. Xena/Gabrielle (off the pilot alone!) Spock/Kirk, Anthy/Utema, Korra/Asami....

I have..issues ok?

OK, so I have to know what is ablism in relation to Harry Potter?

LotR and all other Tolkien works. I also started reading them at 7 and read them fanatically for years. Also Narnia, Holmes, Tom Clancy, WEB Griffin, Edward Gibbons works. Everything Churchill has ever written. The man was the greatest statesman of the 20th century. Oh and Star Wars. All Star Wars books, novellas, and comics. Han shot first. Can't wait for Episode VII.

For me i'd have to say "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" By Stephen Donaldson was my first craze.It was the book that i couldn't and still to this day can't let go ( its still going). Harry Potter was another one that hooked me.I'm not into romance novels but recently a friend convinced me to watch the Outlander series on Starz because she thought i'd enjoy the time travel element. I read books 1-5 in three days and i'm hooked and i'm a fan.Dear i say a fanatic.

Wolfmaid, those 5 books in three days is remarkable! I have to admit a mini depression after finishing the last one...just more waiting.

I used to re-read HP so much, I could recite the first pages of Philosopher's Stone and Prisoner (my mate could do a whole chapter). I wasn't part of the online-fandom, though, because I had plenty of Potterhead friends to talk to. Didn't have much to say beyond things like "Ginny sux!1!!" at that age, anyway.

I think it's interesting that Narnia hasn't made this list. (I'm not adding it either; as the OP, I just thought when I started the topic that we'd have a few Aslan-ists among us. Certainly, I'm not the only one of us who read those.)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I got bored of the series after The Boy and his Horse. The Silver Chair was especially hard to get through. I think it's because the books contain a lot of outdated themes.

Read The Hobbit and the trilogy back in the '60s, but I just read them and enjoyed them, I didn't turn them into an obsession or a religion.

Was previously aware that there was an author named George R.R. Martin, although the R.R. was the only part where I fully trusted my memory.

Don't get HBO, but started picking up some buzz about GoT, came across all 4 of the first 4 books in paperback during a rare K-Mart visit, and splurged.

Read them one after the other, in time to already know about the RW before the TV watchers got their minds blown.

But so far they were only books. Wanted to know how the story comes out, of course, so I waited impatiently while the paperback release date of book 5 kept getting pushed back, finally got my hands on it last fall sometime and read it.

And that blankety-blank Pink Letter chapter wouldn't quit bugging me.

So now I'm playing CSI:Westeros, going back and re-reading various parts of the 5, and coming here, which I wouldn't have done if I'd just read and enjoyed the books, and I'm finding things that look like plot holes and contradictions to which I otherwise wouldn't have given any further thought.

So a pox on the Pink Letter and the chapter it rode in on.

I don't see myself as fanatical over this series. I know what I'm like when I get fanatical and that was over popstars.

I participate on the forums but other series I like don't have as much of an online presence as this one does so I wouldn't see that as evidence of being more fanatical. I watch the show but only bought the first season DVD and I still have never watched the DVD. I don't like the show that much though past the first season. It's like Mad Men for me where I like an episode but not a whole season.

I read the side stories but it's not like I won't do that for other series I liked like the Grisha series as an example.

There are a couple of other series that I enjoy more that have fae in it. They're my favorite fantasy element. This series doesn't have fae.

On Kingkiller I liked it more than asoiaf. The latest was disappointing but I could say the same about the last two books of asoiaf for me. I'm worried that this series will fall off if it continues like the last two books. I loved the Mercy chapter but he apparently wrote that years ago.

I still haven't been disappointed by Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow series.

As a youth I got really into the dragonlance stuff, specifically dragons of autumn twilight and those that followed. Read them several times, but they were simpler fare for a simpler brain.

Nothing of any medium has quite consumed me like asoiaf. Multiple re-reads, finally joining this forum after years of reading it, and even podcasting about the damn thing, this has become my true obsession...it is known

Wolfmaid, those 5 books in three days is remarkable! I have to admit a mini depression after finishing the last one...just more waiting.

Yeah there came a point where it was criminal to put that series down.I figured i don't want to go through another painstaking wait on account of a series i've grown to adore.The wait for ASOIAF is traumatic enough so i didn't want to double the pain,but i'll have to. I must admit i had to pause for a few hours when reading Jaime's ordeal with BJR.Still makes me sick.Once i got through those parts i resumed my focus and speed.

Archived